U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM

546 posts, read 2,024,893 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I agree...just wondering. While City of Miami has nice parts (Brickell, Coconut Grove) unfortunately there alot of bad parts. (As can be read in the numerous threads have been beaten to death on this matter)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 36,512 times
Alward - I agree above that most of South Beach is not a great place to live permenantly. South of Fifth/South Pointe is the exception.

However, Miami Beach is much more family oriented and housing for career people above 20th street. From 20th to around 65th street are great areas for families to live and work downtown. Its much less touristy with only a few scattered hotels, and the condos are priced must better than the towers in south beach.

I used to live in south beach and it was fun and loud for a year, but moved up to around 40th last year. I'm still directly on the beach and most of the residents in my tower are executives with offices downtown or brickell.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

13,299 posts, read 21,406,133 times
The Venetian Causeway is a fantastic option to living directly in Southbeach. I live on Belle Island and can walk to Lincoln Rd in 7 minutes but don't have to put up with all the noise and traffic when I just want peace and quiet at home.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,043,494 times
What would be considered the "nice" parts of Miami proper.

Aventura?
Doral?
Coconut Grove?
Brickell?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM

546 posts, read 2,024,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
What would be considered the "nice" parts of Miami proper.

Aventura?
Doral?
Coconut Grove?
Brickell?

The nice parts of City of Miami Proper is (IMO) Brickell and parts of Coconut Grove.

The nice parts of Miami-Dade County are (IMO): Aventura, Miami Beach, Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Key biscayne.

Hope this helped!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
sfq

3 posts, read 8,520 times
Default Brickell, Grove, Gables

Alward,

I'm in a very similar business as you, moving from London, to Miami. I've done the NYC, SF, Boston and now UK thing. My office is in the Coconut Grove area, more towards Brickell (I don't know the areas well, so that could be a complete labeling mistake on my part). I'm thinking of renting a place in Coconut Grove for a year then deciding on where to buy-I'm married and we're planning kids very soon, so we'd rather have a bit more room and a yard, or a high rise would be cool. Or any other areas you'd recommend, given the location of my office? Cost isn't really a factor-I'm moving from London, one of the most expensive places on earth, so unless we try to buy Shaq's place, I think anything is cheaper than my £1m 2 bed 800 sf place here.

What do you think of the Grove? Or anyone else out there with thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 357,913 times
SOUTH OF 5th street is where the upper class, highly educated professionals choose to live. The area is known as the trendy "South of 5th" typical rent is 3,000 a month. My sister lives there and LOVES IT.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM

39 posts, read 357,913 times
Honestly...coming from someone who has made public safety their career, I would not rent in Coconut Grove. It is TOO close to the slums and that bad area of the Grove. Consider Coral Gables or trendy dadeland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfq View Post
Alward,

I'm in a very similar business as you, moving from London, to Miami. I've done the NYC, SF, Boston and now UK thing. My office is in the Coconut Grove area, more towards Brickell (I don't know the areas well, so that could be a complete labeling mistake on my part). I'm thinking of renting a place in Coconut Grove for a year then deciding on where to buy-I'm married and we're planning kids very soon, so we'd rather have a bit more room and a yard, or a high rise would be cool. Or any other areas you'd recommend, given the location of my office? Cost isn't really a factor-I'm moving from London, one of the most expensive places on earth, so unless we try to buy Shaq's place, I think anything is cheaper than my £1m 2 bed 800 sf place here.

What do you think of the Grove? Or anyone else out there with thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:36 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,573,305 times
I'm glad a bunch of people that actually LIVE here replied!
The actual city limits of Miami proper are very small.
Most of what is considered "Miami" is a very big area with a whole bunch of separate municipalities that are like "suburbs" - though not in the traditional sense. - One of the things I love about it!
There's North Miami, North Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami Shores, etc.
It's very mixed just like most large metros.
Miami Beach is definately it's own animal.
You can live there forever without ever going to the "mainland".
Miami Beach has a major spanish thing going on and a lot of jews.
It used to have a huge gay culture too, but seems like that has decreased to an extent. When I lived in SOBE from 94-99 there were transvestites EVERYWHERE!
The north part of Dade county - as is the original name - gahd that irritates me that they changed it to Miami-Dade - is very heavily black.
Mostly Haitian, but also other island people and american blacks.
This would be North Miami/North Miami Beach.
Aventura is mixed, but mostly rich NYers and/or jewish.
The southern part of the county - like Hialeah, Miami Lakes, Kendall is mainly spanish.
So in a way your friend is correct - the beach sqeezes all the cultures (though actually unfortunately not many blacks) into a small space - similar to Manhattan. The mainland is more spread out so it's all the cultures but in driving distance!
I love the whole package!
Miami rules!!!
Go to weather dot com & check out the map...

Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 AM

6 posts, read 77,431 times
I'll start this with I've spent months in Europe and I'm also a Miami native. South Beach is by FAR not a mini-Europe! I guess there are similarities between the French Riviera and Miami--they both have beaches and are packed with people. I believe that's where the similarities end. There are some Europeans on South Beach...but I still don't think it's like Europe. The ambiance is way too different to be European.
In my opinion Coral Gables is much more "European" than South Beach. But that's my own bias. The architecture and cafe's are what make me think that the Gables has a stronger resemblance to Europe than South Beach.
As for nice places in Miami? I believe there are many. Such as: Coral Gables, Coco Plum, Gables by the Sea, the South Eastern part of the Grove (by Vizcaya), areas of Key Biscayne, Brickell, parts of South Miami (South of US-1), part of Pinecrest (near 57th Ave where old Parrot Jungle used to be located), parts of Unincorporated Miami-Dade (South of 56th Street bordered by 72nd Ave stretching down to Dadeland--I believe Hillary Clinton's brother lived in that area or at least did so in the 90s), parts of Dadeland, etc.
As for people saying that Miami is disgusting and other things? Wow...seriously...Miamian's are pretty lucky that central Miami-Dade tends to be VERY safe. This is very different from cities such as Chicago where you have a couple good blocks and a couple bad blocks (and I'm talking Mag Mile/Gold Coast Chicago...not South Side or West Side). Miami is pretty darn safe for large areas of the city...even large parts of 8 Street (which also borders the Northern edge of of the Gables). And yes, you will hear Spanish spoken in Central Miami-Dade...however, you at least will know you are pretty darn safe and don't have to worry that you'll get mugged or whatever. And most people speak English anyway...so listening to some Spanish shouldn't be an issue. Ah...foreign languages---maybe you are in Europe after all?? (JK--although many Hispanics in South Florida have many Continental European customs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami