U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 AM

385 posts, read 1,815,101 times

Advertisements

central miami-dade safe? really?

if you click the green area it shows up as north central, where opa locka, miami gardens, and liberty city is; oh yeah i heard they're all walks in the park. (opa locka is continually highest per capita in crime rate, liberty city is way up there as well)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 24,678 times
Default =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory555 View Post
This is very different from cities such as Chicago where you have a couple good blocks and a couple bad blocks (and I'm talking Mag Mile/Gold Coast Chicago...not South Side or West Side).
I live in Chicago and both those neighborhoods you've mentioned in the near north side are good as a whole. I have experienced no good/bad saftey dichotomy while staying within the limits of either the magnificent mile or the gold coast. Currently, every adjacent neighborhood is also good. Could you be talking about the early 90's, when cabrini green was at it's most violent? Well, let me tell you, I personally climbed on the rubble of the cabrini green housing project and planted a jamba juice flag. I then yelled "Gentrified," and proceeded to do pushups.

That said, I found Dade county to be much, much less consistent in terms of neighborhood-wide safety. There are municipalities, sure, like Coral Gables or Pinecrest that are pretty safe as a whole. To me, however; it seemed the bad areas of dade county were scattered, punctuating the boarders of good neighborhoods, and, in general, their locations hard to predict. I have lived in Chicago for 24 years and can isolate large swaths of bad neighborhoods, all adjacent, on a map, and so also for good neighborhoods. The two neighborhood types tend to stick together in Chicago (of course with an occassional exception).

I found the very erratic location of bad/good neighborhoods in Miami to be the most striking difference from my hometown of Chicago, which is why I chose to reply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami