U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Just moved to Miami from Jax, had been working there a year and hated that city. I am 23 and just moved here about a month ago (I live on Brickell Ave in a high rise which is cool) after accepting a new finance trading job for a big company, I drive to and from Coral Gables each day which is where I work.

I like it a lot in Miami so far especially since I speak english (native) and have a pretty good handle on spanish from many years of school taught language classes.

However, without any friends yet, I am feeling a bit lonely and out of place, wondering what to do. I am what most people what probably call a bit nerdy, shy, and risk-averse, although I do have a fun, adventurous side ready to try new things. I work during the week but when I'm not eating/going to the stores to get food and stuff that I need for my studio apartment, I don't know what else to do.

I don't drink much alcohol, so I'm not a bar/club kind of guy. And all the places on Miami Beach seem super expensive. Lots of other parts of miami seem to be pretty dangerous as well like Downtown, especially at night.

Do any of you have some suggestions for what I can get involved in, or where to go, what to do, etc. I am pretty cheap but I do plan to settle down in this city for a while so I plan to make some investments in myself, a social circle, and a life here. And a girlfriend would be nice, too... but I don't even know where to start here...

Last edited by agtrademia; 05-14-2011 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,648,047 times
Sounds to me like all you need is some weed and a couple of b*tches.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,918 times
I used to smoke-- but I don't anymore. I think it was the cause of a health related issue for me.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 PM

10,263 posts, read 5,607,382 times
Some people in the past have suggested using the meetup dot com site to find people in the area who share the same interests as you.

It is no big secret that I'm not fond of Miami but this is NOT something to throw in to the "bash Miami" list for me...it is truth:

This city has been difficult for me to find a lot of friends. I have found a few, and they are good, but not nearly as easy as it has been for me in other places.

Also, if you have some time, find places to do volunteer work in something you like or have an interest in. You can also find a lot of like minded people doing that and strike up some great friendships. It's how I found one of my better friends here.

Do you like books? Hang out at bookstores.

Do you like music? Go to some concerts and meet people there.

Do you like art? Go to some of the art festivals.

Do you like fairs? Go to the Miami Youth Fair next spring.

Do you like cars, guns, knives, whatever? Go to those shows when they come to town and meet a lot of people there.

Take what you like and find where those people meet up to look at, hear or discuss the same and you will start making some connections as well as friends.

Not always too easy here but it is possible.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 13,142,548 times
Like GatorMama mentioned try Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup I have friends that have used it in other cities to meet people. There are groups for just about anything. There is a running group in Brickell that meets and then runs over to Key Biscayne. If you have a dog, there are dog parks in Coconut Grove another way to meet people. Just start doing activities you enjoy and you will meet people. Miami can be a tough town, but if you get active in meeting people you will. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM

249 posts, read 389,805 times
Yep... Hobbies do wonders

Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,597,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtrademia View Post
Hi everyone,

Just moved to Miami from Jax, had been working there a year and hated that city. I am 23 and just moved here about a month ago (I live on Brickell Ave in a high rise which is cool) after accepting a new finance trading job for a big company, I drive to and from Coral Gables each day which is where I work.

I like it a lot in Miami so far especially since I speak english (native) and have a pretty good handle on spanish from many years of school taught language classes.

However, without any friends yet, I am feeling a bit lonely and out of place, wondering what to do. I am what most people what probably call a bit nerdy, shy, and risk-averse, although I do have a fun, adventurous side ready to try new things. I work during the week but when I'm not eating/going to the stores to get food and stuff that I need for my studio apartment, I don't know what else to do.

I don't drink much alcohol, so I'm not a bar/club kind of guy. And all the places on Miami Beach seem super expensive. Lots of other parts of miami seem to be pretty dangerous as well like Downtown, especially at night.

Do any of you have some suggestions for what I can get involved in, or where to go, what to do, etc. I am pretty cheap but I do plan to settle down in this city for a while so I plan to make some investments in myself, a social circle, and a life here. And a girlfriend would be nice, too... but I don't even know where to start here...
GatorMama and doggiebus give good suggestions. I'd also suggest joining match.com and okcupid.com - several people I know have had success using those sites. Some people even use okcupid.com to find friends, and specify in their profiles that they're not looking for anything romantic.

It can be lonely to move to a new place without knowing many people, but just put yourself out there, be as active as possible, and soon enough, you will have a new group of friends.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:48 PM

4,746 posts, read 4,902,132 times
I have the feeling MEETUP.COM is a good site.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM

780 posts, read 847,274 times
I guess you could try some of those websites, or just go somewhere were young people usually meet and just hang around. Like at the beach or a bar/club or something, you don't have to drink just talk to random people. What do you have to lose?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM

4,746 posts, read 4,902,132 times
Miami is not diverse when it comes to youth culture

You have either the christians, the wannabe gangsters or the supremacist caribbeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami