Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times

Advertisements

^^^Thats what keeps Doral nice and not becoming like parts that border it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM

193 posts, read 371,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
Thanks for the information stat3man, it would be Southcom. How is Doral versus Miami?
The traffic is as bad as the rest of Miami. You should be able find somewhere to live north of the MIA flightpath. Apparently the Doral Academy is a good school.

The Federal Reserve is also in Doral.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM

136 posts, read 481,557 times
Personally, to be in that general vicinity, I would choose Miami Springs over Doral. Although Doral is a newer suburb, the development pattern is rather hodge-podge. You've got warehouses on one side of the street, then an office park, then a residential development, etc. No cohesive pattern, in my opinion. I would not like to live there.

Miami Springs is an older community to the east of Doral, between Le Jeune Rd (NW 42nd Ave) on the east and Ludlam Rd (NW 67th Ave) on the west, with NW 36th St on the south, and Okeechobee Rd on the north. It consists mostly of single-family homes built between the 20s and 50s. It's great for a family with children and has an old-fashioned feel to it, despite being in the middle of Miami-Dade County. I think the public schools are okay, but there are a couple of private schools as well.

Welcome to Miami!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:54 PM

8 posts, read 13,795 times
I am also military (Marine) inbound to Southcom this summer. We've been looking and doing some research and it appears that Broward is highly recommended. Palmetto Bay also seems to be a nice area. The rents seem higher in Palmetto Bay compared to some areas north of the base like Pembroke Pines (which is in Broward county). I am concerned about the commute, based on what I've read. Traffic appears to be a problem out there. I think there's a van pool service that some folks use.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:34 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
i love military. that comment was so awesomely no nonsense no bulls--t

Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 PM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
I live in Doral. Definitely a bedroom community--if you want beaches, art, music, clubbing or good restaurants you'll have to drive to them. But Doral has a good parks and rec department and Doral PD keeps a lid on things. I'm told the schools are good (I don't have kids so no direct experience) and it's convenient to the Turnpike, airport, Highways 826 and 836. There are a couple of malls. Like I said, bedroom community.

If you decide to live in Broward, you can take the Turnpike and get off at 41st Street. Depending on the time of day though, you'll spend as much time getting from the Turnpike to Southcomm as you did driving on the Turnpike from your house. (Earlier = better.) Good luck to you both!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM

33 posts, read 120,556 times
WOW, How'd you manage to get stationed at SouthCom.....You lucky dog. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale. Spouse was stationed there for 2 years only because his mother was ill. As soon as she passed away, the Army PCS'd us to Ft. Carson. Prob never see Miami again (unless for vacation of course).

Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 PM

401 posts, read 473,692 times
I am non-mil. But have experience in defense.

FWIW, if i had a family I would look fort lauderdale or north. you can still get to Miami if needed. but i dont know nuttin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami