U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,145,660 times
By the way, thank you Doggiebus! I appreciate it.

And yes, I did have dinner with Forest Beekeeper and his DW tonight. They live in a more rural area not too far from me and it was a delightful evening. Their friend, whom I met for the first time tonight, is hilarious! Forest and his DW are very gracious, kind and giving. I truly appreciate being able to call them my new friends.

As they say about Maine....it's The Way Life Should Be. It even says it on the sign as you enter Maine. Peaceful, laid back, easy going, the people are kind, caring and ready to help you out whenever you might need it as long as you try as hard as you can. I have yet to meet one single rude person in this state. Oh I'm sure there are some out there, every place has rude people but thus far, I haven't found them. I am loving it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM

44 posts, read 38,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That seems rather rude.

Gatormama is prior military, and is used to packing light, moving fast, and setting up quickly.

Ok I believe it now. If you knew the Miami board you would know science fiction is no a stranger around here. I'm convinced she is telling truth and I apologize to Gatormama for the previous post.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 941,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
valicky: if you can find farmers markets or can drive out to the redlands on the weekend you can find some wonderful produce. alot of the stuff may be grown here but it gets trucked up to new england/new york to be sold at higher prices.
I know you can go to farmers markets and join co-ops but why can't the main grocery store chain in a major city get decent produce? We're not out in the middle of nowhere. Only two major chains here as well - that's pretty pathetic. When I can go to a bigger/better grocery store in a very small town in GA - that's perplexing. Open 24 hours too. I've been to the groceries in SC, AZ and OR too. More major chains, better produce, smaller populations. It just doesn't make sense.

BTW - Gorgeous backyard Forest Beekeeper!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,399,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I'd like to take that bet, I could use the $500...moving isn't cheap.

I didn't go cross country, I went from Miami to Maine. I drove over 1700 miles. I left early, early Tuesday morning and got here late Thursday night. Posting on the road...have you ever heard of wireless...hotels have that now. Yes, they do! And I have a laptop...and I can connect to wireless signals. Isn't that neat?!

It only takes one trip to the grocery store to compare prices. As luck would have it, there is a grocery store about 2 minutes from my house. How cool is that?!

And, while I did set up for Time Warner to be out on the day I arrived, (that's called PLANNING, very helpful word to know), they didn't show. But, dangitall, there's that wireless signal thingie again...and I'll be dipped if there aren't open unsecured wireless signals around me. Wow, who would've thunk it! I'll get my own, of course, when Time Warner can figure it out but for now, at least I can get on most of the time.

Unpacking happens tomorrow when my stuff arrives. See, there's this other thing called, "shipping" and some people do that with their stuff because, as it turns out, it's cheaper to do that than rent a truck and do it yourself.

Funny thing, see, there's this other thing called the INTERNET, it's full, CHOCK FULL of useful information. All you have to do is LOOK. Which is, get this, how I found a freight company to ship my stuff seeing as I have this little car that my stuff won't fit in to. That goes along with that word I mentioned earlier, "PLANNING".

So please, since you are making the bet, I would like to take you up on it. Feel free to paypal it to me, I don't accept checks. Thanks!!!! Now I can get some new stuff for my new place. You're the best!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GatorMama again.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,399,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriqueta View Post
Ok I believe it now. If you knew the Miami board you would know science fiction is no a stranger around here. I'm convinced she is telling truth and I apologize to Gatormama for the previous post.
Are you related to Princess?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I'd like to take that bet, I could use the $500...moving isn't cheap.

I didn't go cross country, I went from Miami to Maine. I drove over 1700 miles. I left early, early Tuesday morning and got here late Thursday night. Posting on the road...have you ever heard of wireless...hotels have that now. Yes, they do! And I have a laptop...and I can connect to wireless signals. Isn't that neat?!

It only takes one trip to the grocery store to compare prices. As luck would have it, there is a grocery store about 2 minutes from my house. How cool is that?!

And, while I did set up for Time Warner to be out on the day I arrived, (that's called PLANNING, very helpful word to know), they didn't show. But, dangitall, there's that wireless signal thingie again...and I'll be dipped if there aren't open unsecured wireless signals around me. Wow, who would've thunk it! I'll get my own, of course, when Time Warner can figure it out but for now, at least I can get on most of the time.

Unpacking happens tomorrow when my stuff arrives. See, there's this other thing called, "shipping" and some people do that with their stuff because, as it turns out, it's cheaper to do that than rent a truck and do it yourself.

Funny thing, see, there's this other thing called the INTERNET, it's full, CHOCK FULL of useful information. All you have to do is LOOK. Which is, get this, how I found a freight company to ship my stuff seeing as I have this little car that my stuff won't fit in to. That goes along with that word I mentioned earlier, "PLANNING".

So please, since you are making the bet, I would like to take you up on it. Feel free to paypal it to me, I don't accept checks. Thanks!!!! Now I can get some new stuff for my new place. You're the best!
Hmm no need for sarcasm, You dont need to talk to me like I'm retarded or a child

I still apologize for the previous post.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Are you related to Princess?
No sir.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I know you can go to farmers markets and join co-ops but why can't the main grocery store chain in a major city get decent produce? We're not out in the middle of nowhere. Only two major chains here as well - that's pretty pathetic. When I can go to a bigger/better grocery store in a very small town in GA - that's perplexing. Open 24 hours too. I've been to the groceries in SC, AZ and OR too. More major chains, better produce, smaller populations. It just doesn't make sense.

Go to sedanos. Their Produce is cheap and fresh

Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 PM

4,742 posts, read 4,670,873 times
I remember Alberson's

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 AM

21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post

Thank you.

After I retired I came up here and we got 150 acres of forest land. The majority of Maine is rural forest land.

Cheap land, low taxes, and a fairly low cost-of-living is possible in this area.

I produced veggies for a Farmer's Market, currently I provide veggies to a buyers Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami