Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,259,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I find it a bit unfortunate that a classy exit post is soliciting some mocking responses regarding her destination.

I was born, raised and lived in New England. Although I lived in Florida for ten years my best and most-breathtaking moments were spent in Maine sitting on the rocky coast while the waves broke all around me.

There are many beautiful parts of Florida that are unique to it, but I've seen beauty in most places I've lived and boring is as boring does.

I'm not mocking at all. I wish her the best. I just always make that joke about anywhere that gets cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 AM

911 posts, read 1,710,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I'm not sure you've spent too much time in Maine, Jm?
At least it's only a matter of deciphering English words. The same thing could be said for "The Queens English".

YouTube - ‪Queen's English‬‏

In Miami, if all you have is a spanish hammer, everything looks like a nail.

YouTube - ‪Bumblebee Tuna (high quality)‬‏

Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM

30,227 posts, read 23,658,964 times
There's cooks (not a chef, strange people), all over...

Again, I LOVE the cold. Rainy days make me happy. I will not be pining for 98 degrees + 2000% humidity...lovely ocean or not.

I will be sure to steer clear of those shown on YouTube though...

cixcell, thanks for the explanation. I've not seen any of the new Star Wars...I prefer the old school...but maybe I'll rent them since I'll be "holed up in my house for 11 months out of the year" according to some of yas.

There's plenty to do in Maine. PLENTY. I heard the same thing when I came to Miami, "There's nothing to dooooooooooooo" whine, whine, whine. There's plenty to do...get creative, use your imagination, try things you've never tried before. If you're bored, it's not because of the city you live in, it's because of you.

Should be there late tonight or early tomorrow. In PA right now...where it's nice and cold and rainy. PERFECT!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,705,661 times
They have their best weather when days are long, while we have our best when days are short. I was more bored in Miami and the keys than living out here in the country.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,891,481 times
Boring is not an adjective I think of when I think of Maine. I've never been but I'm dying to go. My husband has been and what he tells me about it doesn't sound in the least bit boring. A lot of rain would do me in though. I only lasted 2 years in OR even though it was an amazingly gorgeous place with tons to do.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,137,211 times
Maine is awesome! Say hello to the maples and evergreens while you are up there, okay?

And mail me down one of those giant plush lobsters they sell at the gift shops....someone stole the one I had for 3 years

Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,259,061 times
You won't be missing this:

Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 PM

72 posts, read 104,966 times
I don't blame you for getting out. This has become an awful place to live. I recently returned to Miami and regret that decision every waking hour. The job market blows, drivers are nuts, hit and runs seem to be part of the norm and there's no rock / alternative scene here at all (WVUM being my only refuge). More than ever, it seems that most people in Miami are mindless sheep and clones of eachother. Miami culture can be summed up by listening to that god awful Y100 station and their "live fabulous" quote, which summaries live above your $10 an hour means and go lease a BMW while living with your parents. It's all about show and it's all an act. Since coming back to Miami, I have become totally grossed out by the utterly moronic culture (or lack thereof). I am one of the Cubans who left hell and still do not get why my fellow Cubans act the way the way they do here in Miami.

I don't blame you for leaving. As soon as I'm able to financially, I'll be doing the same. You either become Miami or you hate it with a passion. No inbwtween.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,173,785 times
After living in Florida I was surprised by how much I missed a rainy day where you can laze around, read a book or maybe watch an old movie. I've been up here in East TN - perfect weather, by the way - and still welcome a rainy day, even after six years of living here.

It's really strange how the same weather, day in and day out, can become wearing, especially when the strong, blinding, unrelenting sun shines a good portion of the year.

I don't know if I could deal with the brutal cold of New England, again, though. Their winters are about as never-ending as Florida's summers.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,172,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I don't know if I could deal with the brutal cold of New England, again, though. Their winters are about as never-ending as Florida's summers.
Modern technology to the rescue. just about every piece of clothing these days can be heated using small batteries, also insulation technology can keep you warm even at the north pole,
Most peoples memories of the cold is because they werent wearing proper attire for the conditions, an analogy would be complaining about the Florida heat whilst dressed in your best winter clothing on the hottest day of the year, yeah its damn hot..
One of many suppliers
Gerbing's Heated Clothing // The World's Warmest Clothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami