U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,182,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
I don't have much to compare it to, but from my experience, I would say no. Many of the older Cubans, 40+ or so generation, are very racist. It truly irks me to no end. My own family, parents and grandparents, are like this, as are many of my friends' families. For them, "white" Cubans are the obvious end-all of society. They are always making racist remarks and jokes. You have no idea how much my grandparents poke fun at me over dinner for not laughing at some stupid racist joke or trying to even open my mouth to say that I believe they are people too. It's not just African-Americans by the way, it's also Haitians, which I've found to be very similar to Cubans culturally, and very nice. It's also any Hispanics that are not from Cuba, which they call "indios" and view them in a similar light to Sheriff Arpaio. They call themselves white, I try to point out that my entire family has black hair, and brown eyes, and fairly dark skin. They say that all of our ancestors are from Spain, so we're white. So, no Miami, or maybe it's just my relatives, are not open-minded at all. Sometimes I wish my parents would go on a trip to Clendenin, WV. Let's see if they're still racist after that.
All relative, isn't it? I remember my parents not being comfortable with my Black friends coming to the house. OK to have a cleaning lady come. Fortunately, Mom & Dad both got over that and mellowed out in later years. Over the years, I have seen a lot of extremes; Blacks that don't want to be around other Blacks, Whites that don't want to be around anyone else, Whites that have nearly all Black friends, Hispanics from 2 countries that don't talk to each other because "I don't like those people". As a kid, I thought only Whites were racist to any degree, as I knew a lot of rednecks & hoods growing up. I found it can and does go all around, skipping some folks and finding a good home with others. I was fortunate, most of the Blacks I met as a child were super nice people, so the negative image thrown at them did not register with me. And while my parents were not the most advanced, they were not Klan types either, so I didn't get a lot of heavy brainwashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,608,333 times
Quote:
I don't have much to compare it to, but from my experience, I would say no. Many of the older Cubans, 40+ or so generation, are very racist. It truly irks me to no end. My own family, parents and grandparents, are like this, as are many of my friends' families. For them, "white" Cubans are the obvious end-all of society. They are always making racist remarks and jokes. You have no idea how much my grandparents poke fun at me over dinner for not laughing at some stupid racist joke or trying to even open my mouth to say that I believe they are people too. It's not just African-Americans by the way, it's also Haitians, which I've found to be very similar to Cubans culturally, and very nice. It's also any Hispanics that are not from Cuba, which they call "indios" and view them in a similar light to Sheriff Arpaio. They call themselves white, I try to point out that my entire family has black hair, and brown eyes, and fairly dark skin. They say that all of our ancestors are from Spain, so we're white. So, no Miami, or maybe it's just my relatives, are not open-minded at all. Sometimes I wish my parents would go on a trip to Clendenin, WV. Let's see if they're still racist after that.
----

Angel

You parents are Cuban rednecks, Cuban and American rednecks are good people. They haven't been conditioned to be hypocrites.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 PM

452 posts, read 334,005 times
Default No, absolutely not.

Most Miamians drag its Spaniard-Latin background which is still a big influence in their way of thinking. That means that they still are very conservative in many aspects especially in regarding sexual diversity, fashion, entertainment, and how they waste their money.. I don't know why people say that South Beach is the meca of gays when it has become a non-friendly place for them lately.

On the other hand, there are no really fashion here. 80% of stores in malls target women with the same tacky worn dresses aspect. I don't understand why Miamian fashionists are so worried in make to look girls like if they were in a disco constantly. I wonder where these people are going to show those dresses if there are any kind of social interaction here with the exception of malls.
Boys meanwhile are all stereotyped with the same bulldog tattoo aspect. If there is some guy with an emo hair or punk or rocker style is scrutinized from head to toe.

The language is a big another no open minded subject. In some places you are watched rare if u intend to speak some English.

There are no way to know how ppl are open minden in wasting their money since there are no enough money! 70% of Miamian's wages are used to pay the mortage or rent. So according to that there is no enough wide range to be an open minded person. I am not sure why but the less money you have the narrow minde you become.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 AM

780 posts, read 852,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Angel

You parents are Cuban rednecks, Cuban and American rednecks are good people. They haven't been conditioned to be hypocrites.
Cuban rednecks? I've never heard that one before. My parents are both born in the US. My grandparents are from La Habana.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 AM

10,276 posts, read 5,657,943 times
Quote:
Cuban rednecks? I've never heard that one before. My parents are both born in the US. My grandparents are from La Habana.
A friend of mine has a husband who, when he was young, his mother snuck him and herself in to the country via Mexico. He considers himself a "Cuban redneck" and, frankly, his words, NOT mine, keep in mind, he can't stand the Spanish language or practically anything Cuban.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 AM

6,714 posts, read 4,551,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
A friend of mine has a husband who, when he was young, his mother snuck him and herself in to the country via Mexico. He considers himself a "Cuban redneck" and, frankly, his words, NOT mine, keep in mind, he can't stand the Spanish language or practically anything Cuban.
Many immigrants are like that. Many do not want to be associated in any way with their former country, I usually cannot stand being around them, too many engage in every stereotypical "American" thing to the point they are irritating to be around.

They even have classes on how to lose the accent they have, and they act hostile when wanting to talk about their former country, basically trying to pretend they are from America, and have no knowledge of any other country.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 AM

8,525 posts, read 16,554,607 times
I never had a problem with friends/associates of different races. The only thing that bothers me is the mating of different races, as it seems unfair to the children. I know what you mean about Cuban rednecks as a couple of my friends are that way and one even changed his name to avoid being known as "hispanic". The other is white (blond haired) and while he has a Spanish last name uses his English first name without anyone suspecting otherwise.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM

4,748 posts, read 4,927,725 times
You know what's funny?

Here in America, mainstream society wants you to be aware of your ancestry. The more you are in touch with MOTHERLAND, the better.

HOWEVER!!

In South America, if you were to say "yeah, my father is Hungarian" (or X nationality), mainstream society will think of you as someone who is ashamed of being a born-citizen of Bolivia, per se... an alienated individual who shouts to the world how European he is in order to feel superior... << that is how they think of you down there. They translate your "in-touch with motherland" as "I'm embarrassed about my current country"

Do you see the differences?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:05 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,608,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

---

No, Cuban rednecks are not "Renegados".
Cuban Rednecks are Rednecks but Cuban, they used to live in Hialeah and Homestead.
Plenty of rednecks in the Cuban countryside, the main difference is language and the fact they love cockfigts and "jutias".
Not even religion is different since many Cuban Rednecks are Baptist. Racists they are and no mixing, a lot of inbreds too.
Some seem extracted from Deliverance.

Last edited by Manolón; 06-05-2011 at 03:18 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 AM

780 posts, read 852,078 times
^My parents are nothing like. I do not know any baptist Cubans. Almost all the Cubans I know are atheists (although they would not call themselves that) or (non)practicing Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami