Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

That video does seem routine...but there is something about seeing it on camera versus in person...which takes away the seriousness of getting cut off or tailgaited non stop.

Of course this kind aggressive driving is ubiquitious here and if people drove like this in any other city they would be promptly ticketed but here the cops turn a bling eye to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619inda305 View Post
I don't think the video really captured the severity of what was going down. You'd really need cameras all over your car to capture that. The iPhone camera also doesn't really give you much of a sensation of speed, so it doesn't look as bad as it actually was. The drivers captured on film weren't just one offs. They caught my attention way before in the rear view, weaving in & out and tailgating. With a better camera, this might have been more effective. Just take my word that any of those idiots on that clip could have easily caused a fatal accident and that the police are never anywhere to be found.

Forget the police. You're on your own.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM

You should listen to some calmer music when you're driving. Then you wouldn't be so stressed out.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Don't bother sending this to FHP, they love those kind of drivers.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-24-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 AM

389 posts, read 1,084,235 times
All I saw was cars not using turn signals and changing lanes on solid white lines. And aside from the Porsche tailgating, no other vehicles appeared to be that close to other drivers when switching lanes.

I see worse driving to work each morning.

And anyone from NY would be the first to tell you that this video looks fine to them because there is no traffic.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
What's so bad about this video? A few cars changing lanes without turn signals? In all the instances they had more than enough space and obviously knew what they were doing. That's not any worse than supposed "safe" drivers who go 50mph in a 55 and end up causing accidents when people try to pass them.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM

81 posts, read 170,622 times
Quote:
I don't think the video really captured the severity of what was going down. You'd really need cameras all over your car to capture that. The iPhone camera also doesn't really give you much of a sensation of speed, so it doesn't look as bad as it actually was. The drivers captured on film weren't just one offs. They caught my attention way before in the rear view, weaving in & out and tailgating. With a better camera, this might have been more effective. Just take my word that any of those idiots on that clip could have easily caused a fatal accident and that the police are never anywhere to be found.
619inda, I actually thought about doing this before to show my friends in California what driving in Miami is like. But, since I need all 5 senses on full alert any time I am behind the wheel, I never dared try to capture what I see on film. I try to not even use my cell phone as to not distract myself. I'm glad you were successful, and managed to not get into an accident.

You're right, that footage doesn't capture what is going on all around you, so you really have to 'see it to believe it'. I had a cousin visiting last week and as soon as we were heading home from the airport, he said, "wow, people here are really in a rush!".

I know the locals aren't phased by it, but people from California don't drive like that. I drove in California for 15 years and when you see someone swerving and driving crazy, they stick out like a sore thumb. And it's usually a teenager who got to borrow mom's car and are just showing off. Most people drive respectfully because those tickets given out by the CHP are costly and so is your insurance when it goes up from the points you get. The CHP is all over the place, and when you least expect it, one will be behind you flashing his siren if you're speeding, or breaking a traffic law.

I'm trying to get used to the driving, but it's really hard for me to go 90 because everyone else is doing 90 (including trucks!) down the Turnpike or on I-95. I try to not stress out with the tailgaters, but it really makes me nervous to have someone on my bumper going 74 when I'm going 75.

Maybe Californians are considered lame because we don't speed up to wait at a red light, or cut in front of someone just because, slam on their horn because a driver took .0005 seconds to step on their gas when a light turned green, or swerve from lane to lane like a drunk driver, but I'll continue to drive like a Californian and err on the side of caution.

By the way, I drove cross country from California and I immediately felt the difference in driving when I entered Orlando and it got worse from there as I went further South.

I know, I know, Miami is the way it its, gotta take the good with the bad, but the insane driving really gets to me. That was my rant! I feel better now.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:32 PM

25 posts, read 33,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
What's so bad about this video? A few cars changing lanes without turn signals? In all the instances they had more than enough space and obviously knew what they were doing. That's not any worse than supposed "safe" drivers who go 50mph in a 55 and end up causing accidents when people try to pass them.
It seems that some of you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. Like I attempted to explain in a previous entry, the camera on my phone doesn't really pick up the sensation of speed that well (you have to take my word on that and I usually average 55-70mph depending on traffic & weather conditions). The camera only picks up what it can see from being mounted on the dash. It can't pick up what I recall all of those idiots doing when they had previously caught my attention. The weaving in & out at high speed is particularly dangerous, as is the crossing of solid white lines, which are solid for a reason (because they're not meant to be crossed). Also a 2 ton pickup truck or SUV being driven in that manner is dangerous in itself. Such vehicles can flip over easily and if they hit you, you're dead or you'll wish for death.

To the Reptoid guy, I don't really buy it when you say San Diego is worse. I lived in CA for a while before I moved back here and you would not get away with that BS, not even in the desert. If you drive as you say you drive, you most likely lost your license long ago and are paying back a huge fine. CHP do not play.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM

25 posts, read 33,815 times
Finally a voice of reason. Thanks! I wil say that to really capture the Miami driving experience, you need 2 good camcorders, one at the front and one at the rear. Better still, have a couple of friends do the camera work. The nighttime is the best time to catch the real lunacy. The phone camera isn't really capable of capturing it.

On the bright side, if you own a fast car and your driving skills are good, I guess it's a fun place to improve your skills. If you can drive in Miami, you can pretty much drive anywhere!!

But either have a fast car that can get your ass out of trouble if the need arises, or have a pickup truck or a hummer, as you're less likely to get messed with on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larachris View Post
619inda, I actually thought about doing this before to show my friends in California what driving in Miami is like. But, since I need all 5 senses on full alert any time I am behind the wheel, I never dared try to capture what I see on film. I try to not even use my cell phone as to not distract myself. I'm glad you were successful, and managed to not get into an accident.

You're right, that footage doesn't capture what is going on all around you, so you really have to 'see it to believe it'. I had a cousin visiting last week and as soon as we were heading home from the airport, he said, "wow, people here are really in a rush!".

I know the locals aren't phased by it, but people from California don't drive like that. I drove in California for 15 years and when you see someone swerving and driving crazy, they stick out like a sore thumb. And it's usually a teenager who got to borrow mom's car and are just showing off. Most people drive respectfully because those tickets given out by the CHP are costly and so is your insurance when it goes up from the points you get. The CHP is all over the place, and when you least expect it, one will be behind you flashing his siren if you're speeding, or breaking a traffic law.

I'm trying to get used to the driving, but it's really hard for me to go 90 because everyone else is doing 90 (including trucks!) down the Turnpike or on I-95. I try to not stress out with the tailgaters, but it really makes me nervous to have someone on my bumper going 74 when I'm going 75.

Maybe Californians are considered lame because we don't speed up to wait at a red light, or cut in front of someone just because, slam on their horn because a driver took .0005 seconds to step on their gas when a light turned green, or swerve from lane to lane like a drunk driver, but I'll continue to drive like a Californian and err on the side of caution.

By the way, I drove cross country from California and I immediately felt the difference in driving when I entered Orlando and it got worse from there as I went further South.

I know, I know, Miami is the way it its, gotta take the good with the bad, but the insane driving really gets to me. That was my rant! I feel better now.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It seems that some of you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. Like I attempted to explain in a previous entry, the camera on my phone doesn't really pick up the sensation of speed that well (you have to take my word on that and I usually average 55-70mph depending on traffic & weather conditions). The camera only picks up what it can see from being mounted on the dash. It can't pick up what I recall all of those idiots doing when they had previously caught my attention. The weaving in & out at high speed is particularly dangerous, as is the crossing of solid white lines, which are solid for a reason (because they're not meant to be crossed). Also a 2 ton pickup truck or SUV being driven in that manner is dangerous in itself. Such vehicles can flip over easily and if they hit you, you're dead or you'll wish for death.

To the Reptoid guy, I don't really buy it when you say San Diego is worse. I lived in CA for a while before I moved back here and you would not get away with that BS, not even in the desert. If you drive as you say you drive, you most likely lost your license long ago and are paying back a huge fine. CHP do not play.
People who hate chaos and love to believe in the rule of law love to say things like that. I guess being frank and telling the absolute truth makes me a mythical creature. Ok fine. I'm a unicorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami