Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 39,078 times

Advertisements

Hello people!

My wife just accepted a great position near Medley, FL, so we are doing research on where to live in the area. The problem is my transfer to Miami might put me in Ft. Lauderdale and that's quite a drive.

Any suggestions? This will initially be just a year contract (until we determine Miami is the place we want to be).

About Us -
- Going on 3 years of marriage
- We have a 1 year old
- We have very good salaries
- Both of us are in our early 30s
- She LOVES to exercise, especially outside
- We LOVE some good food
- I'm getting a scuba cert
- Would prefer to stay under $2000 for rent (REALLY prefer lower!!)

Areas we've looked at so far -
- Pembroke Pines
- Aventura
- Doral
- Miramar
- Miami Lakes
- Sunny Isles
- Hallandale

We've ruled out Coral Gables/Brickell/Coconut Grove due to the 30-40mi hike to Ft. Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
That will be a culture shock for you from Minnesota to South Florida. Medley is a warehouse industrial area, so not too much near by other than Doral (but that will be a huge shock for you and your wife). I would suggest living in Southern Broward county. This way its not such a huge cultural shock. Is your job in downtown Ft. lauderdale?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 39,078 times
Thanks doggiebus! My wife is from Gary, IN and I'm from Memphis, TN, so living in places like Seattle and Minneapolis were quite the culture shock. So I think we'll so somewhat ok (I think!). And yes, my job will probably be downtown Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:45 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
If Seattle and Minneapolis were a culture shock, then you are in for a huge cultural shock when you move to Miami. There is a running joke by many that leaving Miami and going to Broward County you are entering America ... Miami cultural wise has more in common with South America than North America.

You probably want to stay out of western Broward then since your job will be in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Aventura is a great area, as well as Sunny Isles and Surfside. Pembroke Pines is nice in the western parts and you get more for your money out there, but that would mean a long commute to Ft. Lauderdale.

Since you might only be here for a year, I would suggest living close to the beach. Get a place with a view.

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-10-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM

313 posts, read 647,058 times
Stick to NE Dade County (Aventura, Sunny Isles, Hallandale)

As for the culture shock, most people in Miami don't even realize Broward is pretty Miaminized at this point. Miami also most certainly doesn't have more in common with South America than North America. It's the crossroads of the two, so the latin american influence is huge. But any immigrant coming from South America still experiences a huge culture shock themselves once they come to Miami. It's slightly cushioned for them but this is still an American city, through and through.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Stick to NE Dade County (Aventura, Sunny Isles, Hallandale)

As for the culture shock, most people in Miami don't even realize Broward is pretty Miaminized at this point. Miami also most certainly doesn't have more in common with South America than North America. It's the crossroads of the two, so the latin american influence is huge. But any immigrant coming from South America still experiences a huge culture shock themselves once they come to Miami. It's slightly cushioned for them but this is still an American city, through and through.
Agreed with what he said. I will say Broward is "Miamized" these days but there is still IMO a distinct feeling between say Downtown Ft. Lauderdale and Downtown Miami. IMO the most Miamiized parts of Browad would be Hallandale Beach, Weston and Pembroke Pines when it comes to the feeling. Not really how the city looks or is planned out.

NE Dade and SE Broward are nices areas. I also agree if you will only be here a year try to enjoy something near the water. Rent a condo on the beach if you can. But if you want a realistic view of Miami and a family friendly I would say Miami Lakes is your best bet. Might be a bit of a commute to Ft. Lauderdale but easy commute to Medley. Miami Lakes yu can get a nice town home for around $1500 a month. It's a very family area, very suburbia but nice.

As for turning down Brickell, it's a lot of miles but its actually fairly quick. 9.5 out of 10 times the drive will be 30mins or so but with zero traffic. The areas you picked someone is going to be driving 30mins anyway. Brickell is a very popular and very urban area.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM

706 posts, read 1,041,664 times
How did you get the job? Recruiter? I am in NYC and I would like to move to Miami in 2015-2016. I have 6+ years working for an apparel company in the operations dept( shipping, credit, customer service, edi, logistics,etc)

Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Also, is your job in Ft. Lauderdale proper? Kinda like saying your job is in Miami... Miami could mean the actual city of or the "greater Miami Area"...

Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis_All_Day View Post
Hello people!

My wife just accepted a great position near Medley, FL, so we are doing research on where to live in the area. The problem is my transfer to Miami might put me in Ft. Lauderdale and that's quite a drive.

Any suggestions? This will initially be just a year contract (until we determine Miami is the place we want to be).

About Us -
- Going on 3 years of marriage
- We have a 1 year old
- We have very good salaries
- Both of us are in our early 30s
- She LOVES to exercise, especially outside
- We LOVE some good food
- I'm getting a scuba cert
- Would prefer to stay under $2000 for rent (REALLY prefer lower!!)

Areas we've looked at so far -
- Pembroke Pines
- Aventura
- Doral
- Miramar
- Miami Lakes
- Sunny Isles
- Hallandale

We've ruled out Coral Gables/Brickell/Coconut Grove due to the 30-40mi hike to Ft. Lauderdale.

Don't forget Weston. I used to have a neighbor (in Weston) who worked in Medley at Cargill.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Oh, and check out Cooper City too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami