U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM

72 posts, read 30,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
Hey OP, if you didn't nod off reading this diatribe, pay attention to the post of this 'cool dude'. This is the attitude you encounter in Miami. This is why as much as you may consider San Diego 'overpriced' the truth is, you get what you pay for. It may be cheaper to live in Miami, but the quality of life, people, their education, manners, etc....it's all 'low quality'.
I respect the fact that at least Wynwood defends Miami honestly and tells the truth about living, working and trying to cut it here. I would rather people were honest about Miami, rather than try to make it sound like Anytown, USA. If people defended Miami honestly, maybe it'd lessen the amount of people who move here having only been to SoBe on vacation, lured in by the climate, the beaches and the (superficial) beauty of the people. You do need to know Spanish to get by in many cases. That's just how it is. People are very flashy, very bling and very cliquish. It must be tough for many outsiders and for many who were born & raised here but who have never really fit in, like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM

70 posts, read 87,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
I respect the fact that at least Wynwood defends Miami honestly and tells the truth about living, working and trying to cut it here. I would rather people were honest about Miami, rather than try to make it sound like Anytown, USA. If people defended Miami honestly, maybe it'd lessen the amount of people who move here having only been to SoBe on vacation, lured in by the climate, the beaches and the (superficial) beauty of the people. You do need to know Spanish to get by in many cases. That's just how it is. People are very flashy, very bling and very cliquish. It must be tough for many outsiders and for many who were born & raised here but who have never really fit in, like me.
If people want to know Miami they just need to watch that Real Housewives show then just keep in mind that they're trying to make it look good for TV. lol

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM

14,243 posts, read 11,109,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
Then maybe you should go against it honestly and say that it isn't all cliquish ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks not allowed.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM

72 posts, read 30,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Then maybe you should go against it honestly and say that it isn't all cliquish and maybe you're just trying to make excuses for your own bad personality.
No, just a metalhead who treats others with respect. I also stopped going to clubs at 23. Miami is not for the non-conformist, but at least my existence here proves that there are a few of us left.

What's your story? Are you really into that breaking & entering ****?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,048,868 times
the problem is the people who seem to be happiest here (people from latin america or europeans) arent generally the ones on the citydata boards.
the citydata board is a tool primarily used by american transplants. the people who do the worst.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

404 posts, read 289,904 times
I seriously have a hard time understanding the view of Miami on this board. You do not need Spanish in many locations, which are really the only locations of Miami that people out of town should really consider: Brickell, Downtown, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, Aventura, South Miami, Pinecrest, Coconut Grove. And honestly Miami is not a desirable place to live if you can't live in some of the nicer areas and I would not recommend many areas outside those I listed.

I do not speak Spanish at all and have never had a problem yet (knock on wood). Just be confident and act like you know a thing or two about the world about how people and culture operate and that you aren't some naive person from Idaho and you'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
the problem is the people who seem to be happiest here (people from latin america or europeans) arent generally the ones on the citydata boards.
the citydata board is a tool primarily used by american transplants. the people who do the worst.
I disagree that this is primarily an American tool, at least on the Miami board--a number of the "relocating to Miami, need advice" threads here are from foreigners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
I seriously have a hard time understanding the view of Miami on this board. You do not need Spanish in many locations, which are really the only locations of Miami that people out of town should really consider: Brickell, Downtown, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, Aventura, South Miami, Pinecrest, Coconut Grove. And honestly Miami is not a desirable place to live if you can't live in some of the nicer areas and I would not recommend many areas outside those I listed.

I do not speak Spanish at all and have never had a problem yet (knock on wood). Just be confident and act like you know a thing or two about the world about how people and culture operate and that you aren't some naive person from Idaho and you'll be fine.
Agreed.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,048,868 times
pick a bunch of random restaurants off the street and go in and see how many you have difficulty ordering at. mainland miami, not miami beach.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 PM

9,610 posts, read 4,514,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post

I definitely needed Spanish in Miami Beach.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 32,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I definitely needed Spanish in Miami Beach.

Can you define "needed" ...??

As in the cashier at the grocery store would not (or could not) speak to you in English?

I've never LIVED in Miami Beach but never experienced that as a visitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami