U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM

4,732 posts, read 4,386,103 times
Perhaps in the Argentine hood, and that's still a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,641,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I definitely needed Spanish in Miami Beach.
Besides to Uptown Miami Beach area around 71st street I would never have needed Spanish in alll my years here. And even there people maybe speak Spanish first but they all speak English. In the vast majority of places English is the majority in Miami Beach.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,894,989 times
In all the time I've spent in Miami, that has never been an issue. And I spent the greater part of my time East of I-95.

I walked into an optometrist's office off of SW8th at a strip mall near a CVS, walked in and immediately felt like "the scum of the earth" when I saw the inside of the place and the way the people inside were dressed up. Also because they were helping a gaggle of customers and I was worried I was interrupting.

It was not that I was dressed scummy or anything. It's just that the owner and the others were wearing very expensive and nice looking clothing with the formality of wearing suit jackets. The inside of the shop was totally upscale and I felt like I had walked into a Jewelry store in Downtown La Jolla. It didn't look like anything special from the outside.

I asked them if they had any type of defogging solution for my glasses I could buy, so that they won't fog up every time I walk out of a building. They said no, that that's something that they've never been offered by the suppliers. Their English was just fine and they didn't seem put out to talk to me in it. They were very polite, even if they did look at me as if I had 3 heads. I said "this has got to be a common request with all this humidity, right?" They seemed amused and said no. The looks on their faces told me that that was the first time that had ever occurred to them -- you know-- like people are supposed to just accept that their eyeglasses are going to fog up everytime they get off a bus as par for the course! LOL! And I'M THE WEIRDO? HAHA!

I walked into a well known Home Improvement Store on SW8th on my last trip and just walked around to be a fly on the wall. I wanted to see if I'd be able to hack it if I applied for that store. I did not detect any rudeness, but I also did not engage anyone in conversation. I wanted to see what percentage of the customers I would be able to help If I were to get a job there. None of the transactions between customers and associates were in English anywhere in that store.

A guy finally asked me how I was doing and if I needed anything, and I told him I was visiting from the San Diego store to see about transferring and I humbly disqualified myself from being able to work at that particular franchise by saying that I was not yet up to par with my language skills and didn't want to be an anchor for them. He said that that was the only store besides maybe one or two others where you REALLY needed to know Spanish. He said it wasn't a huge issue at the other stores and said I still sounded very hireable and wished me good luck. He and some of his coworkers spoke good English, but a great deal of the customers didn't and I feel that that's where I would just be a dead weight for them.

All my interactions in Allapattah were fine. No rudeness. No difficulty in communicating for the most part. It wasn't a major issue.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 AM

404 posts, read 290,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
pick a bunch of random restaurants off the street and go in and see how many you have difficulty ordering at. mainland miami, not miami beach.
Where exactly? Sure, go into Hialeah or Little Havana speaking English and you won't get far, but again, in any of the desirable neighborhoods for people from outside Miami/Latin America, restaurant staff speak English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I definitely needed Spanish in Miami Beach.
Again, I ask where you encountered. Most restaurants and stores I have been in have not needed Spanish. Miami Beach is pretty culturally diverse and especially with all the European tourists who speak English on their American vacations, English definitely is understood. I am not talking about the "seedy" parts of SoBe but again, the places that people who want to enjoy Miami would frequent.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 AM

5 posts, read 9,032 times
hi,
i'm new here,
can you tell me about this forum?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 AM

14,243 posts, read 11,116,048 times
You don't NEED miami for any part of Miami honestly, but be prepared to face a LOT of people who don't (or refuse) to speak any english at all, thats just the facts. Take it for what it is.. if you enjoy this, you'll love miami, if you are a person who is annoyed or offended by this, you are definitely going to have a tough time enjoying life.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM

3,093 posts, read 1,862,683 times
When Brickell gets it all together, this area will contend with anything Miami Beach has and then some.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 AM

889 posts, read 9,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESS1 View Post
I respect the fact that at least Wynwood defends Miami honestly and tells the truth about living, working and trying to cut it here. I would rather people were honest about Miami, rather than try to make it sound like Anytown, USA. If people defended Miami honestly, maybe it'd lessen the amount of people who move here having only been to SoBe on vacation, lured in by the climate, the beaches and the (superficial) beauty of the people. You do need to know Spanish to get by in many cases. That's just how it is. People are very flashy, very bling and very cliquish. It must be tough for many outsiders and for many who were born & raised here but who have never really fit in, like me.
Yes!!! +3
You do know the place pretty well, especially if we're talking about high rollers, which the OP posed himself as.

Re: Language Issue:

It is been noted in detailed facts that there are over 800,000 people who speak English in Miami-Dade County. That is a lot of people. It has also been spelled out in detail which neighborhoods in the county is their a preponderance of English speakers. There are a lot of neighborhoods here where the majority speak English.

In conclusion...
The whole Spanish/English debate is irrelevant... it is irrelevant for the complainers who are predominately English speaking, because there are 800,000 people willing to speak it. Therefore their complaining is illogical.

It is also irrelevant for the Latinos to defend Spanish, because there are 800,000 English speakers, a greater population than most US cities. Will Spanish come in handy? YES!!!!!! Can you get by without it like the 800,000 other folks... YES!!!!!!

Everybody needs to quit their whining on this board.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:31 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,049,611 times
Where exactly? Sure, go into Hialeah or Little Havana speaking English and you won't get far, but again, in any of the desirable neighborhoods for people from outside Miami/Latin America, restaurant staff speak English.

doral or pretty much any place south of the airport. go to any mini mall restaurant and you'll have difficulty communicating. this has been my biggest hurdle in trying all the latin cuisines. the incredible awkwardness of not being able to communicate.

understand most of the Miami I experience is doral and south of the airport. I visit north Miami less than i visit broward. coming from homestead it is easier to get to broward than out to the beach and 95 is very very out of the way.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:56 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,862,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post

doral or pretty much any place south of the airport. go to any mini mall restaurant and you'll have difficulty communicating. this has been my biggest hurdle in trying all the latin cuisines. the incredible awkwardness of not being able to communicate.

understand most of the Miami I experience is doral and south of the airport. I visit north Miami less than i visit broward. coming from homestead it is easier to get to broward than out to the beach and 95 is very very out of the way.
Just start waving the green stuff, communication,who knows how has a way of becoming so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami