Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parothead View Post
I've been there and guess what... they speak english.

There are a million neighborhoods like this up here in Chicago

But english is spoken without any excuses
It's because no one speaks their language once beyond their neighborhoods.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM

70 posts, read 176,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
It's because no one speaks their language once beyond their neighborhoods.
That was my point, which is why I said: imagine a town that's 60-80% like that.

Ethnic ghettos are nice when you're a SMALL minority and feel you need to stick together, but seriously...

Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM

193 posts, read 371,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrypositive View Post
You're right.

I've LIVED in that neighborhood for six months (on Bell & Devon) and I know they speak English. I did forget about American holidays though (since they didn't hang anything for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas; I did celebrate Pakistan's Freedom Day... lol) and somehow ended living through Ramadan like I'm Muslim, but even there did I ONLY ONCE encounter someone who didn't speak English.

I will say that it's best kept secret is Gareeb Nawaz. I still, to this day miss $3 Chicken Boti Parathas.

You just helped reinforce my point.

Thanks
Chicago does have excellent Indian food...

Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
Chicago does have excellent Indian food...
Yes it does. I had the urge for some in West Palm Beach and realized how spoiled I was in Chicago.

Many places (food wise) that don't survive up there would thrive on South Beach, just attach a Hookah bar, and blam!

EDIT: Also, up there if you try speaking their language to you they STILL respond in English unless they can visibly tell you're Desi... I think they do it to be more accommodating.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrypositive View Post
Yes it does. I had the urge for some in West Palm Beach and realized how spoiled I was in Chicago.

Many places (food wise) that don't survive up there would thrive on South Beach, just attach a Hookah bar, and blam!
Most Latin people I know (in fact many Americans too) despise Indian food because of the strength of the spices... I was surprised.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Most Latin people I know despise Indian food because of the strength of the spices... I was surprised.
I had no idea! It did take me an "interesting" week to get "used" to the food, but I like it more than Latin food. I honestly put it in my top three ethnic foods period.

Right up there with Chinese food and Jamaican Oxtail. lol

Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
My mom likes Indian food, and most people I nkow don't have any problem with it.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
My mom likes Indian food, and most people I nkow don't have any problem with it.
Not even my [Latin] wife will come to an Indian restaurant on my birthday!

Seriously, I can't find anyone to come with me, they complain it smells (duh!) and is too spicy. Perhaps I should find new friends!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM

72 posts, read 105,216 times
Quote:
Not even my [Latin] wife will come to an Indian restaurant on my birthday!

Seriously, I can't find anyone to come with me, they complain it smells (duh!) and is too spicy. Perhaps I should find new friends!
I love Indian food! Imlee Indian Bistro in Pinecrest is where it's at.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
I LOVE Indian food, but it doesn't love me! For some reason Indian curries don't agree with me, while I have no problem with Thai curries. Go figure. If I could get away with it I would have a massive pig-out fest on Navratan Korma, and Palak Paneer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami