Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaPanda View Post
Oh I forgot to add, 21.00-23.00 is the starting pay for Bachelor's Degree RN's in Tulsa. Miami (just estimating here) might be getting paid 25.00 starting out. I'm sorry hun, but California is like a medical professional's paradise in terms of pay. Everyone here talks about the awesome pay in Cali. Every other state in the US might be a downgrade for you. Sorry.

What people don't realize is the huge difference in cost of living. Obviously you'll make more in california than you will tulsa, youll also spend more on literally everything. It usually evens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

YouTube - ‪Whole Foods Parking Lot [HD]‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Watching that girl on the video I was immediately struck by the fact that she did not seem to have any appreciation for the things that set Florida apart from other states. She only focused on the negative. But I can't fault her for that. I did that with Colorado as well. I almost feel sorry for some people when they're born in Florida and lived there their whole lives, because they cannot have the conceptual framework to appreciate the uniqueness of the state and they want a change to something they've never had -- ie. snow, small towns, northern cities, mountains or whatever. People come from all over the world to see Colorado, and the mountains, and people from warmer climates find snow to be weird and novel and end up falling in love with it. That will never happen to me, as the snow and winter and fall colors were every day banal reality and I grew tired of it. I've been in a climate with no official winter for 24 years and have never looked back. And I know that when I finally move to Miami it will be for keeps. I will NEVER tire of the humidity or the Latin vibe, just as I've NEVER tired of seeing greenery and palm trees every winter for 24 years. I just need a tropical tune up.
Reptoid Humidian: Good posts on both the guy on the LA video and the college girl complaining about Fla.

One of her five complaints was of course the weather and the lack of four seasons. As a SoCalif native who did a stint in NYC I know (for me) that the "four seasons" are VERY overrated. No thanks.

Also, her number one complaint is that the theme parks in Fla are too overcrowded with tourists. No sh&t the theme parks are crowded. I've been to Fla MANY times and I have ONLY been to ONE theme park on ONE day. I know there is MUCH more to Fla than a frickn theme park. She needs to get out more often.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 AM

12 posts, read 34,874 times
Wow this post took a life of it's own. I don't think a lot of you understood me very well I never said I expect to make the same amount of money duh ! The price of living is totally different. It kinda funny when u read all the comments about not having a "solid plan" I don't think I ever disclose my plan I thout I just as a question or two but I guess everyone has thief own way of interpreting things. But I still plan on moving hopefully before the end of the year. I have tested the waters and apply for some hospital positions (I made it extremely clear I didn't speak Spanish) I got four out of six call backs to my shook. I only did it again to teat the waters to see if any one would give me a chance.

For the other ppl who are going to move don't let what others say determine you decision. Thanks to everyone who was honest I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_LaShay View Post
Wow this post took a life of it's own. I don't think a lot of you understood me very well I never said I expect to make the same amount of money duh ! The price of living is totally different. It kinda funny when u read all the comments about not having a "solid plan" I don't think I ever disclose my plan I thout I just as a question or two but I guess everyone has thief own way of interpreting things. But I still plan on moving hopefully before the end of the year. I have tested the waters and apply for some hospital positions (I made it extremely clear I didn't speak Spanish) I got four out of six call backs to my shook. I only did it again to teat the waters to see if any one would give me a chance.

For the other ppl who are going to move don't let what others say determine you decision. Thanks to everyone who was honest I'll keep you posted.
You will get bad information on the Miami Forum , because a lot of people don't live here and love to bash,so you are better off checking out another source.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 AM

perry: alot of the people who i work with day by day like to bash.. in every job ive worked for here. there never comes a time when you dont hear a 'ahh miami' or 'well.. its miami'. you see so much random crap. we had someone taking a bath in our company fountain.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 PM

233 posts, read 530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Watching that girl on the video I was immediately struck by the fact that she did not seem to have any appreciation for the things that set Florida apart from other states. She only focused on the negative. But I can't fault her for that. I did that with Colorado as well. I almost feel sorry for some people when they're born in Florida and lived there their whole lives, because they cannot have the conceptual framework to appreciate the uniqueness of the state and they want a change to something they've never had -- ie. snow, small towns, northern cities, mountains or whatever. People come from all over the world to see Colorado, and the mountains, and people from warmer climates find snow to be weird and novel and end up falling in love with it. That will never happen to me, as the snow and winter and fall colors were every day banal reality and I grew tired of it. I've been in a climate with no official winter for 24 years and have never looked back. And I know that when I finally move to Miami it will be for keeps. I will NEVER tire of the humidity or the Latin vibe, just as I've NEVER tired of seeing greenery and palm trees every winter for 24 years. I just need a tropical tune up.
Having lived in California and being a native of Florida I agree that we don't appreciate Florida for what it has.... beautiful water and a real beach culture, warm nights without needing a jacket, the lush green vegetation, blue skies, a vibrant night life. California is nice but it has its negatives too its cold alot, especially NorCal, el nino years suck, polluted skies, cold dirty water, foggy by the beach more often then most outside CA know. The colors of the water, vegetation, and sky in CA just aren't as vibrant as SFL and I didn't realize this about Florida until leaving. Also some may disagree but I feel South Florida is such as crossroads with people from all over the world, I had friends from CA down and they were shocked at all the languages being spoken and also how many people from all over the US were spending time there during the winter. We saw 4 license plates from Washington state alone. There's much Fl can learn from CA though on education, infrastructure, growth management, and environment.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Having lived in California and being a native of Florida I agree that we don't appreciate Florida for what it has.... beautiful water and a real beach culture, warm nights without needing a jacket, the lush green vegetation, blue skies, a vibrant night life. California is nice but it has its negatives too its cold alot, especially NorCal, el nino years suck, polluted skies, cold dirty water, foggy by the beach more often then most outside CA know. The colors of the water, vegetation, and sky in CA just aren't as vibrant as SFL and I didn't realize this about Florida until leaving. Also some may disagree but I feel South Florida is such as crossroads with people from all over the world, I had friends from CA down and they were shocked at all the languages being spoken and also how many people from all over the US were spending time there during the winter. We saw 4 license plates from Washington state alone. There's much Fl can learn from CA though on education, infrastructure, growth management, and environment.
Yeah, I know! Did you feel like you just stepped into a Sepia tone print or a black and white movie or what? After being in Florida, it's like having half of your 5 senses amputated to arrive in SoCal. Going to Colorado after Florida is 20 times worse!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
theres a beach culture in florida? where?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Moving from a brown haze city to a clear blue sky city is worth the move right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami