U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM

372 posts, read 429,187 times
Default Where is the rain?

It is now June, where are the daily thunderstorms? We desperately need the rain, the drought is expanding.

I was unimpressed with the "rainy" season last summer in Miami. But I hear it was a mild one. I know precip is variable and scattered with random downpours but I remember only seeing 2-3 lightning storms last summer. Anyone else have thoughts/explanations?

I just moved to a west facing apartment so hoping to catch lightning storms over the everglades, whenever it starts...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,055,140 times
yeah i completely agree. this is ridiculous. if you go out to the everglades it is drying up. this is not normal. weather people are saying driest rainy season in 80 years.

last summer's rainy season was extremely short as well. we need rain and badly.

makes me wonder if it will come back all at once and flood everything.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM

9,671 posts, read 4,546,789 times
I just left Miami from working in the Everglades and the drought when I left in mid-May was horrible. If it still hasn't rained yet, I can only imagine how bad it must be now...I'll bet most of the airboat places are doing channel tours now...there's no way they still have water if there's been no rain since I left.

Very bad for the wildlife, too.

I hate to say this because people get all upset...but, in all honesty, what that area needs badly is a hurricane. I don't like that people get hurt and suffer but the nature, the Everglades, (which is vitally important for Florida), needs one.

Also, the storms usually came in late July and August and yes, we did have more than 2 last year. I distinctly remember because I was on a giant metal boat out on the water giving a tour praying we didn't get struck.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,055,140 times
gatormama: know anyone who would let me drive an airboat with their guidance? something i have always wanted to do.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 PM

941 posts, read 1,744,510 times
I remember some years seeing daily rain storms every single day in the afternoon in June,we're already 1/3 of the way through the month and I think we had one in my area and it was at night which made it even stranger.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 PM

372 posts, read 429,187 times
It also seems "cooler" than last summer. I've only been here since '09 but by this time last year i thought we were already into the low 90's. I'll have to check the records but possible reason why the bubbling over kind of storms haven't occured?

That said, the Caribbean has been already getting a lot of rain but they are under different air/mass pressure gradients than us.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,900,530 times
Well, also, your dewpoints have remained in the 67 to 72 degree range which is more like what you'd see in late October, so yeah, you haven't even got a summer pattern going yet!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 AM

137 posts, read 111,442 times
The weather reports predict scattered thunderstorms, then nothing happens. There'll be some build up of dark clouds in late afternoon and it might as well be decoration. We had perhaps 10 minutes of light rain at about 2 AM a week or two ago. That's it, for literally the past month.

I'm playing on golf courses where it's still like February or March, balls scampering down the fairway an artificial 20 or 30 extra yards. The greens are rock hard and holding nothing. Lakes are lower than I've ever seen them.

I know a man who is 92 years old and sometimes chips and putts at one of the golf courses. For more than a month he's been emphasizing he's never seen weather patterns defy standards to this extreme. Two days ago he called me at home and told me to turn on the Weather Channel. Sure enough, they were detailing a startling graphic, with 257 examples so far this year of record monthly temperatures across the country. The previous recorded high at the same point of the year was 107.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 AM

6,317 posts, read 12,218,973 times
This isn't normal, usually by mid May we start to see the afternoon thunderstorms. Last year was a mild year, we didn't have as many thunderstorms as normal. The humidity hasn't been as high lately because we haven't had the rain which has actually been nice for me as I don't like high humidity, its keeping the feels like temperature much less than normal this time of year.Also June isn't usually this windy, I am sure that the major winds we have been having the last few weeks are not helping. I did get some rain at my place last night. Lets all get together and do the rain dance because we really need some rain.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-10-2011 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 AM

221 posts, read 220,235 times
Seriously, the canals and lakes around here are at very low levels, far beyond usual. And it has been extremely windy the past few weeks, very odd summer weather pattern, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami