Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 AM

95 posts, read 160,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"Very nice lady who has joined the mass exodus of educated / middle class black people from Miami over the past 2-3 decades."

Not just blacks, but every class of people. It seems if people have the opportunity, they will leave. As I mentioned in a few other threads; I volunteered to be transferred here, I was the only person in my pool of eligible employees who wanted to come here, there were no other takers. Then my company kept making sure I really wanted to go because the last few people ended up requesting a transfer out, or quit and took up another job with a company in another location.
There is a middle class in Miami, but it's mostly Cuban (Coral Gables, Kendall) or Venezuelan (Doral) and wealthy South Americans (Brickell). There are also still enclaves of Anglos in places like Miami Springs & Pinecrest. It's odd for such a diverse city to see black people pushed to the sidelines, living in a very different world. I know that's true in many US cities, but it's extreme in Miami. Also, having been to LA, I remember many parts of Compton that looked better than many Miami middle class suburbs.

Miami is a good place to have fun, party and experience Latin culture if you're young, carefree, outgoing and single, but it'd be bottom of my list of places if I were older and had children to consider. It is a mecca for Spanish speakers and now has strong economic and social ties with Latin America. If you are wealthy enough though, you can buy a nice life in Miami (as with anywhere), send your kids to public schools and have a luxury condo or house overlooking the water with an all year round climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
There is a middle class in Miami, but it's mostly Cuban (Coral Gables, Kendall) or Venezuelan (Doral) and wealthy South Americans (Brickell). There are also still enclaves of Anglos in places like Miami Springs & Pinecrest. It's odd for such a diverse city to see black people pushed to the sidelines, living in a very different world. I know that's true in many US cities, but it's extreme in Miami. Also, having been to LA, I remember many parts of Compton that looked better than many Miami middle class suburbs.

Miami is a good place to have fun, party and experience Latin culture if you're young, carefree, outgoing and single, but it'd be bottom of my list of places if I were older and had children to consider. It is a mecca for Spanish speakers and now has strong economic and social ties with Latin America. If you are wealthy enough though, you can buy a nice life in Miami (as with anywhere), send your kids to public schools and have a luxury condo or house overlooking the water with an all year round climate.
Actually LA has neighborhoods like the West Adams District which is mostly black with older historic homes, and Baldwin Hills which is a middle to upper middle class black area.

I don't know of any city in FL that has anything similar in regards to middle class black neighborhoods.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 AM

95 posts, read 160,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually LA has neighborhoods like the West Adams District which is mostly black with older historic homes, and Baldwin Hills which is a middle to upper middle class black area.

I don't know of any city in FL that has anything similar in regards to middle class black neighborhoods.
Nowhere in California is segregated like much of Florida still is, including Miami. With regard to Florida though, WPB, Jacksonville and Tampa have middle class black populations. If I were black, Miami would be bottom of my list of places to relocate to, unless I were very wealthy.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:

There aren't many, but you will find it in some of the cities in western Broward County. Look up Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Plantation, Sunrise. It's worth nothing that these areas have more black people of Jamaican and Haitian background, although there are some African Americans as well. In Palm Beach County, there are some areas west of Boynton Beach that are middle/upper middle class with a presence of blacks, but are still predominantly Anglo. As far as Miami-Dade, the only areas I can really think of with any middle class black representation are some of the northeastern sections of Miami Gardens (Andover Estates), Richmond Heights/Palmetto Estates, and to a lesser extent the Country Walk area in west Kendall. There are also some working class Haitians in El Portal, North Miami, Norland, and other areas in north Dade, but "middle class" representation is more limited. I'm also pretty sure that all of these areas have crappy school districts (I could be wrong on Country Walk), and Miami-Dade in general is pretty ethnically polarized.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
If I were you, I would move to Broward County. Coral Springs has a decent school system for Florida standards. Also more english speaking people. Miami seems it doesn't to have a middle class. Broward location is central, you will be in arms length of all of Miami's amenities.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Nowhere in California is segregated like much of Florida still is, including Miami. With regard to Florida though, WPB, Jacksonville and Tampa have middle class black populations. If I were black, Miami would be bottom of my list of places to relocate to, unless I were very wealthy.
They have middle class blacks, but they don't have areas that have neighborhoods that are made up mostly of African Americans who are middle class.

Cities like LA, Atlanta, and NYC have neighborhoods that are what the OP was describing.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:48 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
They are not paid to baby sit with you.
So what if they confirmed it to you.
A non-baby should be mature enough to deal with it.
It's true that there are a lot of teachers who have no business teaching, due to the fact that they "lack knowledge", but I would say there is no scarcity of non-coopoerative students.
Maybe you were not such an angel at school.
That msg wasn't for me, it was for the entire class... I heard it so many times from different teachers, they discharged their frustration on us....

Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 PM

250 posts, read 696,491 times
Quote:
They have middle class blacks, but they don't have areas that have neighborhoods that are made up mostly of African Americans who are middle class.

Cities like LA, Atlanta, and NYC have neighborhoods that are what the OP was describing.
Very true... They are there but dont have to live in a predominantly middle class BLACK neighborhood. Generally mixed in.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
op im going to type this as honest and as non rude as i can while being drunk as fuc.... judging form your post you are coming to miami with a racist and bigot view.. im im typing as sopber as possible., what is wrong with getting a view from a non black person or living in a non black area.. and when i say dont ever make a post liek that gain, im mean bro, never again bro.

only solid middle class area in south floirda is miramar.. doral as soem blacks but few.
To the OP.

This is what happens in Miami all day long. Drunk people posting on forums, because there's so much to do. The place is that depressing. LOL...

Only kidding. (partially...).

Check your inbox.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
What about that place behind The Falls?
Richman Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami