Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM

32 posts, read 69,029 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've been perusing the forums here, doing my research on what to expect in Miami. My husband (who is Venezuelan), and I will be moving there because he wants to continue his international trade business he had in Venezuela, at the Port of Miami.

I am an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) and I have drawn the conclusion from these forums (and looking for jobs online), that it is a MUST to learn Spanish in order to be competitive in the job market. I am already somewhat conversational, but during the next 6 months that we are preparing for this move, I have decided to learn as much Spanish as my brain can apprehend. I also want to continue my education in Miami and become an RN (registered nurse) with a BSN (bachelors of science in nursing).

I was wondering what the nursing job market is like in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. What to expect in terms of the types of patients/ doctors/ nurses I will run into. I have also drawn the conclusion from these forums that (most) Miamians are quite rude. That is unfortunate, but if I must assimilate, I must assimilate, and I want to prepared. Also, what are the best schools for nursing in Miami?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaPanda View Post
Hi everyone. I've been perusing the forums here, doing my research on what to expect in Miami. My husband (who is Venezuelan), and I will be moving there because he wants to continue his international trade business he had in Venezuela, at the Port of Miami.

I am an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) and I have drawn the conclusion from these forums (and looking for jobs online), that it is a MUST to learn Spanish in order to be competitive in the job market. I am already somewhat conversational, but during the next 6 months that we are preparing for this move, I have decided to learn as much Spanish as my brain can apprehend. I also want to continue my education in Miami and become an RN (registered nurse) with a BSN (bachelors of science in nursing).

I was wondering what the nursing job market is like in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. What to expect in terms of the types of patients/ doctors/ nurses I will run into. I have also drawn the conclusion from these forums that (most) Miamians are quite rude. That is unfortunate, but if I must assimilate, I must assimilate, and I want to prepared. Also, what are the best schools for nursing in Miami?

Thanks for your input.
If you learn Spanish, you'll have a much easier time getting that RN job. Also, the more educated you are, the (typically), better class people you will meet so that degree will help.

Seems nurses are always in demand anywhere USA. To get an idea, check out the Miami Herald's classified section or look up any job board, put in Miami and your desired job and see how many pop up for you.

Rudeness in Miami is mainly on the roads and, of course, in some areas if you don't speak Spanish. If you learn Spanish, like I said, it will be easier on you. Still, the roads...just know that people are very rude and have the "all about ME" attitude.

As for schools for nursing, I don't know.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Well Thank you GatorMama! Thanks, I was wondering what sort of newspaper I should use or job search, I was only using general job search sites such as monster, simply hired, etc and that was okay....but thanks!!!!

Oh yes, I am cramming in the spanish now. My husband, for some reason thinks I will be just fine without....but I think its because it doesn't affect him...lol

Okay good. Rudeness just on the roads, okay I can deal with that. Tulsans can be crazy drivers, so I have some experience with crazy rude drivers....I'm sure I'll be surprised in Miami though....

Thank you for your help. I was starting to think people didn't care. I had like 50 views with no response...lol!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaPanda View Post
Well Thank you GatorMama! Thanks, I was wondering what sort of newspaper I should use or job search, I was only using general job search sites such as monster, simply hired, etc and that was okay....but thanks!!!!

Oh yes, I am cramming in the spanish now. My husband, for some reason thinks I will be just fine without....but I think its because it doesn't affect him...lol

Okay good. Rudeness just on the roads, okay I can deal with that. Tulsans can be crazy drivers, so I have some experience with crazy rude drivers....I'm sure I'll be surprised in Miami though....

Thank you for your help. I was starting to think people didn't care. I had like 50 views with no response...lol!
We care, sometimes posts get lost in the mix with other posts that people have been visiting a lot. So let me bump this one up again.

Your husband is incorrect. If you are going to be an RN in Miami, you need to know Spanish. It's a requirement. Guaranteed.

And yes, while there are bad drivers all over, you really are in for a shock in Miami. Many of them act like they went from donkey and cart straight to car.

Let me point this out to you now to save you from a possible accident: Just because YOUR light turns green, it doesn't mean that those who have the red light have stopped coming through...4, 5, 6 cars later. Please check your intersections before you go. Sure, you'll have some idiot blare on their horn behind you but to heck with them...check first!

And don't be surprised to see people turn left from the far right lane. You really have to be aware of every car around you; front, back and both sides. Seriously.

Also, as you should anywhere, leave space between you and the car in front of you when stopped at intersections. Not everyone stops because not everyone is paying attention. Seems their cell phone and text messages are FAR more important than paying attention.

You will be cut off, you will be tailgated, you will have people squeeze in to spaces in front of you that they really can't fit in. You will have people fly over all lanes of traffic to make their exit. If you use your blinkers to indicate a lane change, chances are, the people won't let you in. (Still use them, though.)

The millisecond the light turns green, people will lay on their horns for you to GO! NOW! HURRY UP!!!! Ignore them. They are morons.

Do not be surprised to see people using a parking lot as their own personal "closed" driving course. Be careful in parking lots.

For work, also try CareerBuilders.com and go to the actual website of any hospital you wish to work in...Jackson Memorial, Baptist, etc. They may have listings there, as well.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
We care, sometimes posts get lost in the mix with other posts that people have been visiting a lot. So let me bump this one up again.

Your husband is incorrect. If you are going to be an RN in Miami, you need to know Spanish. It's a requirement. Guaranteed.

And yes, while there are bad drivers all over, you really are in for a shock in Miami. Many of them act like they went from donkey and cart straight to car.

Let me point this out to you now to save you from a possible accident: Just because YOUR light turns green, it doesn't mean that those who have the red light have stopped coming through...4, 5, 6 cars later. Please check your intersections before you go. Sure, you'll have some idiot blare on their horn behind you but to heck with them...check first!

And don't be surprised to see people turn left from the far right lane. You really have to be aware of every car around you; front, back and both sides. Seriously.

Also, as you should anywhere, leave space between you and the car in front of you when stopped at intersections. Not everyone stops because not everyone is paying attention. Seems their cell phone and text messages are FAR more important than paying attention.

You will be cut off, you will be tailgated, you will have people squeeze in to spaces in front of you that they really can't fit in. You will have people fly over all lanes of traffic to make their exit. If you use your blinkers to indicate a lane change, chances are, the people won't let you in. (Still use them, though.)

The millisecond the light turns green, people will lay on their horns for you to GO! NOW! HURRY UP!!!! Ignore them. They are morons.

Do not be surprised to see people using a parking lot as their own personal "closed" driving course. Be careful in parking lots.

For work, also try CareerBuilders.com and go to the actual website of any hospital you wish to work in...Jackson Memorial, Baptist, etc. They may have listings there, as well.
Woahhh! Man I think I'll let my husband drive me around first (he says he is used to this crazy driving, "It's like Caracas" he always says....lol). Turning left on the far right lane.... Yeah thats crazy. haha. Alrighty then, thanks for the input. I love how you referred to the donkey and cart hahahahaha...Yeah sure sounds like it...

Okay, I will try Career Builder.com, sounds very promising!

Aaaand I believe I will show my husband your post about the language so that he can take my self-taught spanish lessons seriously....lol
Thank you

Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM

73 posts, read 113,784 times
Ok MirandaPanda, you have some spirit! After all you've read and you are still moving to Miami!
Seriously, it's good that you're doing your research and you're prepared for what's to come.
As far as nursing jobs, I am not in that field but I know that jobs in the medical field are in high demand all over the country. Maybe you can try contacting the major hospitals directly or visiting their website (Jackson Memorial, Aventura Hospital, Mercy Miami)? Judging by the number of retirees in South Florida, I would guess that it's a field that is in high demand. Maybe Craigslist or Linkedin, Simpy Hired? I did a quick search on Simply Hired and came up with 10+ pages of results in the Miami area. There are also a lot of jobs for care takers/nurses. You will see a lot of elderly people accompanied by their nurses all over Miami.

I agree and disagree with Gatormama. She is spot on with her description of driving and Miami drivers. But, the rude people you will encounter are not only in traffic, they are everywhere. Don't get me wrong, not EVERYONE is rude, but you will encounter enough where after a few months, you will start walking around with you guard up waiting for the next a-hole who acts up. And yes, you will also meet some VERY nice people, but unfortunately not as many as the a-holes.

You are moving with your husband who seems to 'get' Miami, so that will definitely make things easier for you.

And as far as the Spanish, you are correct, YOU NEED IT TO LIVE IN MIAMI. Sure, you can get by without it, but it will make living and getting a job in Miami MUCH MUCH harder. Especially the 'getting a job' part. Browse the ads for office jobs and you will see how many require that an applicant be bilingual (and by that they mean, Spanish, it doesn't matter if they speak English). Especially in the nursing field where you will probably encounter a lot of the 'older generation' that didn't learn how to speak English. Speaking Spanish will make life in Miami a lot easier.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
Baptist Hospital has consistently been ranked as one of the best places to work in the country.
About Baptist Health: Awards and Recognition

They just built a new hospital in West Kendall and were hiring. Don't know if all positions were filled but you can check their website. Spanish definitely helps, but I've been to the hospital a couple of times in the last two years or so and I've had Jamaican nurses who didn't speak Spanish.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Baptist Hospital has consistently been ranked as one of the best places to work in the country.
About Baptist Health: Awards and Recognition

They just built a new hospital in West Kendall and were hiring. Don't know if all positions were filled but you can check their website. Spanish definitely helps, but I've been to the hospital a couple of times in the last two years or so and I've had Jamaican nurses who didn't speak Spanish.
AWESOME!!! Thank you so much! A fortune 100 company! Thank you so much! I have been looking for a hospital that is on top of their game! Great! I sooooo appreciate it! Will look into that one. Definitely.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post

I agree and disagree with Gatormama. She is spot on with her description of driving and Miami drivers. But, the rude people you will encounter are not only in traffic, they are everywhere. Don't get me wrong, not EVERYONE is rude, but you will encounter enough where after a few months, you will start walking around with you guard up waiting for the next a-hole who acts up. And yes, you will also meet some VERY nice people, but unfortunately not as many as the a-holes.

For some reason nursing has taught me how to put up with a-holes. You get alot of them as doctors, some nurses, and unfortunately alot of patients. I worked at a hospital in North Tulsa (its the bad side of town) in the ER and yeah...haha...learned real quick to keep my guard up. I left there and went to a private pediatric office and had to realize I needed to give my guard up, it took a good six months to get rid of my guard after working with the crazies of North Tulsa lol. I assume this might be the way it is in South Florida. Unfortunate, but at least I know what I am getting into....

Old 06-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Ahhh man. Baptist only wants RN's. But thats okay. I will keep them in mind when I finish up my bachelors. I have about 2 years to go for my bachelors. So it won't be too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami