Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM

337 posts, read 969,051 times

Advertisements

Why isn't attendance better with all the latinos in south florida? How is the new stadium coming and it is being built in the same area as the old one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
What do "Latinos" have to do with baseball attendance?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM

337 posts, read 969,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
WE ARE HUGE BASEBALL FANS! GUESS YOU'VE NEVER WATCHED A BASEBALL GAME.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
The issues with the Marlins are complex.

For starters, the stadium is not conducive to baseball. In a real baseball stadium all seats are oriented toward the battery. In Sunlife Stadium only a handful of seats face the battery. It is an unpleasant experience to go to the game and to have to sit all twisted and looking around the person to the right (or left) of you because they are also leaning out to see the battery. The new stadium should fix this issue as it will be a baseball only stadium.

Secondly, an open stadium is a nightmare in Miami in the summer. The Marlins lead the league in rain delays. Rain delays are maddening. Even if you are able to wait out the rain then it's back to a soaking wet seat (that faces the outfield). Many times I have thought about heading to the stadium, then decided not to because there were big black clouds outside and there actually was a game with a rain delay. I live about half an hour from the stadium.

Thirdly, the Marlins have not been a good baseball team since winning the World Series in 2003. Tickets are frequently available at reasonable prices but the price of everything at the stadium is outrageous. Even if you get your tickets for a good price a bottle of water is $4. Most people are not aware that you CAN bring in your own food and drink. The bag searches are intended to root out glass, metal, and other dangerous objects. You can bring in food. You can bring in drinks that are in sealed, plastic containers. We usually stop at LaSpadas in Davie and get sandwiches and we bring in a few bottles of water. I do think that more people would take advantage of the cheap tickets if they realized that you do not have to buy the overpriced food/drink at the stadium.

The new stadium will be downtown.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Latinos are HUGE baseball fans.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - Marlins Stadium thread

Here is progress from June 5th

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
They've sucked for all but 2 seasons in their history. That's probably the biggest explanation. The management has played a big part in that, so who wants to continue to support that product?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
WE ARE HUGE BASEBALL FANS! GUESS YOU'VE NEVER WATCHED A BASEBALL GAME.
So are many non Latinos, your point? I see poeple of all ethnicites and races watch baseball games. I have been to mroe than a few baseball games all over the US and in Japan.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Latin Americans are big in to baseball as people who live in South Florida should know that. They get their best shortstop players from Latin American countries.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Stadium is being built on the old Orange Bowl site. I try not to think about it, or drive within sight. That swap is symbolic of the decline of the area as a whole, IMO.

Dolphin Stadium should have been imploded, and not laughably patched like an old computer. It's worthless for football, baseball and anything besides rejecting noise. Or betting on the visitor. I predicted upon first glance in 1987 that the Dolphins would never win anything of significance in that venue. Three years ago I attached that opinion to the Canes' fortunes. The stadium will regulate Miami football until it's gone.

Anyway, I do appreciate that the Marlins will be renamed Miami, not Florida.

Here's a good article on the new stadium and the accompanying "lies":

Six lies about the Marlins stadium - Page 1 - News - Miami - Miami New Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami