Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,999 times

Advertisements

OP is in for a big surprise :/

Not sure whether to feel bad for them or laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM

84 posts, read 171,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atimetoshine View Post
I am selling everything i own and moving to miami florida for a fresh new start on life around a more diverse crowd of people. What tips or experiences can anyone who has risked it all on faith have to share with me because im coming soon within weeks. any leeds jobs ideas ect leave them for me
It's hard for people to give you advice without a back story. You need to give some insight to a few things:

1: Why are you moving? What prompted the need for a fresh start?
2: You're looking for diversity, is there a particular reason for this?
+ Are you a Kansas native or did you move there from somewhere else?
3: If you want job leads you need to let people know what you do. Not to mention you can search various websites to get an idea of opportunities.

That being said, if you're looking for excitement and adventure, think you'll be able to find it in Miami. Whether or not this can be a real "move" depends on your determination and street smarts.

Mike

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
Fellas, I hate to break up your witty banter on Aileen Wournos, but I'd like to answer the OP's question.
Miami's current unemployment rate is 13.9%. Service jobs are the major industry in Miami, but you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't speak Spanish. Contrary to what's been posted here on this thread, being Hispanic does not automatically equal success in Miami. I know many educated, successful Hispanics who couldn't hang in Miami. You have to be 'thuggish', have no respect for others, no respect for laws, looking for the next 'scam' and drive like you have ZERO common sense. If you fit this profile, you will definitely succeed in Miami.
Miami is a city of Thugs? Really? What percentage of the pop. would you classify as 'thuggish'?

Mike

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
does it look like the regular population in a typical US city? No.
Are people overly aggressive? Yes.
Are people overly concerned with sex and bling and superficial appearances? Yes.

= Thuggish.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
Are people overly concerned with sex and bling and superficial appearances? Yes.

= Thuggish.
Hmm, not sure I agree with your version of the word "Thuggish"

Are people overly aggressive? Do you mean physically and verbally abusive?

Are people overly concerned with sex and bling and superficial appearances?
When you say bling are you saying over the top tattoos, jewlry like a guido mobster or rapper?

Superficial? not necessarily a thug.

To me a thug is more the following:

1: Short tempered.
2: Quick to be physical.
3: Uneducated.
4: Establish dominance through physical intimidation.
5: Have poor or over the top taste in fashion.
6: Doesn't do much thinking.

Mike

Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
if someone is dressed like a guido mobster or rapper i automatically assume all 6 of your qualifications.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,806 times
Well I fit the profile anywhere I go im a survivor and the scams and cons will only increase my ability to be that much closer to the divine spirit thats within me. I have no fears and i become excited at hearing of all these fears others have. I was going to stay 180 days to learn different ways for me to survive then it is on to New York. i have already set me departure date and have it all mapped out. Hey! look at it this way we all living but we all dying so rather now or later we all meet the same fate so im not going to tip toe threw life just to arrive at death unharmed im charging threw life yelling DO OR DIE!!! following my gut is what im good at but this small midwestern Kansas City town has made me who I am today and i hav out grown the world it self so while other chringe at the prospects of change I ambitiously rush to the unknow possibilities of outcomes from change, proclaiming all that i need and want in this world. So until God tells me to come in the house the world is my playground. -ITZ ATIMETOSHINE! FACEBOOK ME

Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
you wont fit into miami unless youre latino. try fort lauderdale.
that's a horribly racist comment.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

= Thuggish.
You just described NYC!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimetoshine View Post
Well I fit the profile anywhere I go im a survivor and the scams and cons will only increase my ability to be that much closer to the divine spirit thats within me. I have no fears and i become excited at hearing of all these fears others have. I was going to stay 180 days to learn different ways for me to survive then it is on to New York. i have already set me departure date and have it all mapped out. Hey! look at it this way we all living but we all dying so rather now or later we all meet the same fate so im not going to tip toe threw life just to arrive at death unharmed im charging threw life yelling DO OR DIE!!! following my gut is what im good at but this small midwestern Kansas City town has made me who I am today and i hav out grown the world it self so while other chringe at the prospects of change I ambitiously rush to the unknow possibilities of outcomes from change, proclaiming all that i need and want in this world. So until God tells me to come in the house the world is my playground. -ITZ ATIMETOSHINE! FACEBOOK ME
Well Miami will be a cake walk compared to NY. NYC is the home of the scam artists, thugs, people who pee in the street, high housing costs, filthy streets and awful winter weather. You should start in NY and then you will see how pleasant Miami is in comparsion. Good luck with your Miami trip. You have the right mindset so I think it will turn out well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami