Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,805 times

Advertisements

I am selling everything i own and moving to miami florida for a fresh new start on life around a more diverse crowd of people. What tips or experiences can anyone who has risked it all on faith have to share with me because im coming soon within weeks. any leeds jobs ideas ect leave them for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
you wont fit into miami unless youre latino. try fort lauderdale.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 AM

73 posts, read 119,225 times
^^ Is this for real? Are stupid comments like this just thrown out like that around here with out a care?!

atimetoshine made this post more than a week ago, so I don't know if they'll come back to this website. But i'm from Kansas and moved here from Missouri 6 years ago, I could've given them real advice. If someone is determined to make the move to Miami from a small Midwestern town, they know not to expect Topeka.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 AM

people who abandon everything they own and move somewhere with no plan whatsoever wind up a trainwreck. especially here. there is a whole culture around exploiting those people here. theyre simply fresh meat for the grinder for all the con and scam artists. They wind up like Aileen Wournos or found chopped into pieces in multiple bags and left along okeechobee road.

Last edited by cixcell; 06-21-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 12:39 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
C'mon man, that's just over the top! Lol! Aileen Wournos has always been damaged goods and her life's history has been full of documented incest and general F---ery. It had nothing to do with "moving to Florida and not having a plan". I moved to San Diego by the skin of my teeth and lived out of my VW bus for nearly a year with no solid jobs to be had and eating away at my savings, and I managed to survive just fine. You just have to be tough. Be tough minded and have a strong will, and not easily be discouraged. And learn to trust your gut instincts. You learn to live by the seat of your pants. By the way, living out of your vehicle is almost impossible in South Florida, so don't even try it. Seriously, you'll roast to death in a closed VW Bus and if you open the windows, you'll get eaten alive by insects. Something to consider. So at least have some considerable savings before you try it!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM

alright alright. but it was beautifully dramatic
but i will say its easier to get in trouble here than it is in california. the bad element thrives unhindered here in the absence of police presence.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
people who abandon everything they own and move somewhere with no plan whatsoever wind up a trainwreck. especially here. there is a whole culture around exploiting those people here. theyre simply fresh meat for the grinder for all the con and scam artists. They wind up like Aileen Wournos or found chopped into pieces in multiple bags and left along okeechobee road.
Somewhat of an hyperbole huh!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
I pulled up the file on Aileen Wournos and when the photo came up I involuntarily yelled "HOLY F---!!!!" and slammed the screen down on the keyboard of my laptop!! "Is it still there?!" I said as I approached the computer stealthily from a crab angle.......!!!

LOL!!! OK!! That was MY license to be dramatic. She does look like she's overdone it on the meth though! Geez! A howling reproach to be sure!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM

73 posts, read 113,769 times
Fellas, I hate to break up your witty banter on Aileen Wournos, but I'd like to answer the OP's question.
Miami's current unemployment rate is 13.9%. Service jobs are the major industry in Miami, but you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't speak Spanish. Contrary to what's been posted here on this thread, being Hispanic does not automatically equal success in Miami. I know many educated, successful Hispanics who couldn't hang in Miami. You have to be 'thuggish', have no respect for others, no respect for laws, looking for the next 'scam' and drive like you have ZERO common sense. If you fit this profile, you will definitely succeed in Miami.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
^^^^^^^^^^A lot of the unemployment figure rise was do to loss of federal jobs as the private sector was pretty much intact.

'Going to Miami City, Miami City here I come". love that song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami