Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM

68 posts, read 149,374 times

Advertisements

A lot of rich people, mind you not all, don't give a crap about anything but how to keep the lifestyle they live and how to one-up each other. My dad is that way and so are a lot of his friends. I don't see the point in that kind of life. I rather do things I want to do rather than do things that will make everyone go "oooh, ahhhh" even if it means I'm not making ridiculous amounts of money.

I will keep you in mind the next time I have to clear the shelves! It's so hard to give them away but what can I do? They become like your babies. At least I know other people will enjoy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM

609 posts, read 1,139,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
A lot of rich people, mind you not all, don't give a crap about anything but how to keep the lifestyle they live and how to one-up each other. My dad is that way and so are a lot of his friends. I don't see the point in that kind of life. I rather do things I want to do rather than do things that will make everyone go "oooh, ahhhh" even if it means I'm not making ridiculous amounts of money.

I will keep you in mind the next time I have to clear the shelves! It's so hard to give them away but what can I do? They become like your babies. At least I know other people will enjoy them.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post

hah you say that now, but when you are dead broke you will be signing a different tune.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
hah you say that now, but when you are dead broke you will be signing a different tune.

Why would anyone be dead-broke if they don't make ridiculously amounts of money?

I know a lot of people who are lower middle class and they take trips, etc. It's all about a budget and how you spend your money. The rich aren't the only ones that have a life you know. Otherwise everyone else would be miserable. I don't have a high paying job yet I love my life and I don't see how I would end dead broke. Unless I blow the money I make or spend more than I make. Whoever does that, rich or not, is just plain stupid. You have to work with what you have.

Great example, I know of a couple that work in a factory/warehouse so they make little money. Guess what? They've even gone to Europe quite a few times and on cruises! They save a lot rather than spend on everyday/weekend stuff. They may not eat out or splurge on other things but then they can do what they like which is travel even if it's only once a year.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Mailyn: Here's the thing about the Kindle...you can try it out for 30 days. If you aren't in to it, return it within that 30 days and get a full refund. Seriously.

Also, who says you can't have both books and the Kindle? I got one because, as I said, I had to give my books away after moving so many times and you start to run out of people who want to help you move when you have that many books. Plus, I moved in to a way smaller place so, really I only miss my Stephen King library...damn that hurts...but, I am replacing them all on the Kindle.

But, you can have both. If there are books you know you'll keep and never want to give up, buy them as a book. If there are books you'll read just once, maybe twice and give away, get them on a Kindle. Really, try it out. You'll start to notice you DON'T notice much of a difference. That way, if you start pining for a "real" book, you can reach over and grab one, smell it, flip its pages, feel the weight of it, whatever but you have the other 3000 or so books stored on your Kindle. Just try it. You aren't obligated to keep it.

Kinetic: I want you to know that I still have you on mind when I find a stuffed red lobster. I want to figure out my schedule, first, before I take another trip over to the coast and I'll look for one for you. Really.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
She might even be singing a different tune as she ran out of ink.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Mailyn: Here's the thing about the Kindle...you can try it out for 30 days. If you aren't in to it, return it within that 30 days and get a full refund. Seriously.

Also, who says you can't have both books and the Kindle? I got one because, as I said, I had to give my books away after moving so many times and you start to run out of people who want to help you move when you have that many books. Plus, I moved in to a way smaller place so, really I only miss my Stephen King library...damn that hurts...but, I am replacing them all on the Kindle.

But, you can have both. If there are books you know you'll keep and never want to give up, buy them as a book. If there are books you'll read just once, maybe twice and give away, get them on a Kindle. Really, try it out. You'll start to notice you DON'T notice much of a difference. That way, if you start pining for a "real" book, you can reach over and grab one, smell it, flip its pages, feel the weight of it, whatever but you have the other 3000 or so books stored on your Kindle. Just try it. You aren't obligated to keep it.
I didn't know they would let you try it out first. That sounds like a good idea. Did you buy yours at a store or online?

The books I've kept that I don't intend to ever give away are the classics and the history books. I don't think I could ever give those away but I do miss quite a few books and I've kicked myself repeatedly for not keeping them so I feel your pain with you Stephen King collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
omg SO true! My printer ran out of ink on the ONE day I needed it! I was so mad. Course it was my fault for not noticing it before but still, I was singing a different tune and the lyrics were not pretty LOL

Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

Kinetic: I want you to know that I still have you on mind when I find a stuffed red lobster. I want to figure out my schedule, first, before I take another trip over to the coast and I'll look for one for you. Really.
Aww. Thats sweet. You don't have to go out your way to do that. It's sweet enough that some thinks about me.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
oh yeah I'm a nice guy

Old 06-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Oooh. BURN. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami