Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,397,278 times

Advertisements

Komodo dragons are next. They've already got giant Savannah River Monitor lizards. I'm just waiting on the Coconut Crabs. Pretty soon we'll have to battle with these to get our Coconuts! But who knows? Maybe we can train 'em to clip the Coconuts off and drop them into our baskets! XD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM

469 posts, read 1,098,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
South Florida sounds scary now that I read this. I couldn't be on edge 24/7. The snakes sound scarier than the gators, like I know if I see a gator I'm zooming out of there but snakes are more sneaky. Boa's and Bears too? Like what the hell is going down there.

I'm shocked there aren't Komodo dragons and pterodactyls at this urban/suburban safari.
This is what I'm talking about. No reason to be on edge 24/7. Boas and bears are in the glades and most people will never see one in the wild. I did come across a black bear in Orlando though.

BTW......Komodo dragons are on the west coast. The naples/Fort Myers area has a big problem with them. South Florida has iguanas but most were whipped out last winter with a good portion of boas.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,890,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
South Florida sounds scary now that I read this. I couldn't be on edge 24/7. The snakes sound scarier than the gators, like I know if I see a gator I'm zooming out of there but snakes are more sneaky. Boa's and Bears too? Like what the hell is going down there.

I'm shocked there aren't Komodo dragons and pterodactyls at this urban/suburban safari.
You only have to worry about the Komodos on Sanibel. Personally, the worst thing here are those super gross roaches. I'm irrationally terrified of them. Can't even kill one if I see it - I get so terrified. It's silly, but that's what gets me.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM

Actually, they're not Komodo dragons. They're Nile River Monitor Lizards. Komodo's are FAR worse. If you've got Komodo's, you've got PROBLEMS!!!! There are not yet any Komodo dragons in Florida -- except at the zoo!

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 06-21-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM

650 posts, read 1,324,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
This is what I'm talking about. No reason to be on edge 24/7. Boas and bears are in the glades and most people will never see one in the wild. I did come across a black bear in Orlando though.

BTW......Komodo dragons are on the west coast. The naples/Fort Myers area has a big problem with them. South Florida has iguanas but most were whipped out last winter with a good portion of boas.
Komodos made it to the U.S.? Another reason not to live in that area lol, between Chinese drywall, boredom [I assume], and komodos I don't want to live in SW FL. Iguanas aren't too bad unless they whip you. I like the tiny lizards that are prevalent in Orlando.

I assumed that the bears would be in the northern part of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
You only have to worry about the Komodos on Sanibel. Personally, the worst thing here are those super gross roaches. I'm irrationally terrified of them. Can't even kill one if I see it - I get so terrified. It's silly, but that's what gets me.
Lol we have those big roaches in NYC, they don't even bother me anymore. However if they fly and land on me then we have a serious problem. I can't kill them because I can't deal with what's left behind.

Are there exotic spiders in South Florida? To date I've only seen one here, it was yellow and about the size of my hand, it dropped right in front of my face and I almost fell running away lol. However I can't do tarantulas and black widows, I cringe just thinking about venomous spiders/snakes.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Dude! No Komodo dragons! C'mon! I just said it!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:46 PM

650 posts, read 1,324,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Dude! No Komodo dragons! C'mon! I just said it!
I see it now after I submitted the post, those don't seem like they'd be as big of an issue as gators.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM

869 posts, read 970,004 times
Quote:
you find them down here mainly out in the sable palm forests in the picayune strand or out in the fakahatchee. coyotes are making their way down here too. i actually saw one running down the canals coming down from lake okeechobee off tamiami trail while riding my bike.
He was riding your bike! Yikes! One never can tell what these bears are capable of.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Borat lets one Black Bear escape out of his ice cream van and all hell breaks loose in the hammocks!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,649,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Personally, I hate when someone has a gator removed. They were here first and should be left alone unless they show aggression or loss of fear of humans. Just because you are scared of something you don't understand, you have that animal turned into a handbag and dinner.
This is something you and I can totally agree on, 100%. I'm with you all the way on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami