Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,254,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
north beach - last year and again now.
spent some time living in oakland park as well, but don't like it as much.... is perfectly nice as far as the atmosphere, it's too 'suburbs' for me. although i DO love the good shopping in the lauderdale area, hehe.

i spend a lot of time in North Miami and Opa Locka area.... what others think of and look down upon as the ghetto - but i just don't see it that way, there's an ABUNDANCE of wonderful food and little shops over there, i have several true friends who live over that way, some of my docs are there, and it's where my band's rehearsal space is.

i mostly move among the immigrant population since i'm a musician, and the instrument i play is from the Caribbean, so i'm involved mostly with Caribbean and Hispanic/Latino people in my daily movements.

i purposely try to stay out of, and away from, the entire corporate-business-oriented-american lifestyle.
so i'm going to guess youre hispanic and/or caribbean, speak spanish, and dont have the typical experience of most transplants. glad you found a niche you're happy in though.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,037,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
where do you live? just curious.
i've worked in jobs all over miami and i always see a change in personality of transplants that move here. they come in bright eyed and happy and within 2 wks that smile is wiped off their faces. i'm not the only person who's observed this from talking to people. this one guy i remember from chicago, a coworker of mine. we were walking around in miami beach and he was in awe and saying how he never thought he would live in a place so beautiful. i left the job, worked somewhere else for a bit and came back and his personality was like night and day. he was hardened and bitter and jaded. MISERABLE. he had a sneer whenever he talked about everything and just a general hate of everything. he would constantly complain about this or that in miami. the difference was shocking. ive met people here who moved from new york and returned and said they were shocked by how rude people were. i known people who moved here from detroit and said detroit was easier to handle and wound up moving to arizona. its happened too many times for me to think its a coincidence. thats why i'm asking where you live. because i havent seen anything like your describing south of broward.
Cixell have you lived anywhere else besides Miami and LA?

Just pay a visit to the Arizona and Texas forums. You will see a bunch of Californians complaining also. Trust me, the Florida board is nice to transplants compared to those Texan posters. One time someone said that it would be easier to be an Illegal Alien than a California transplant in Texas. Just visit the California forum and check the posts of those who moved back.

The problem with Americans is that they think they can move to a new place and not experience challenges, they think they are moving down the block. There are good reason why home prices stayed low for so long in Florida and Texas. And relocating is not easy. Leaving family and friends behind it's not easy. Getting used to a totally different culture like Florida's or Texas is not easy.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM

809 posts, read 2,308,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
lol. true. true.

btw give me some slack here. feeling crappier than usual. stupid early morning thunderstorms depriving me of sleep.
I thought you would be the MAIN ONE sleeping well during a thunderstorm.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM

309 posts, read 617,469 times
Quote:
so i'm going to guess youre hispanic and/or caribbean, speak spanish, and dont have the typical experience of most transplants.
lmao, no my dear i am as white as they come. but yes it's true that my experience is atypical; grew up in a multi-cultural philly neighborhood in the 60's, where neither 'white' nor 'American' was the majority. so my whole life experience has been many races and cultures living together. and yes, i speak fluent spanish & a few other languages. In philly they start teaching a 2nd language in 1st grade ... (or they used to anyway) and i had several friends who spoke spanish in the home, so i did too when i was over there. i found out years later that learning to speak a second language has positive effects on the brain; the earlier in life it's started, the easier it is to learn in general - it adapts the brain for better learning forever. (i love that) It also teaches kids that there's other stuff in life besides their own ways; and that that's a GOOD thing, not something inferior to look down on.

so that set us up for an ENTIRELY different outlook about life in general, cause all the kids on the block were encouraged to learn about and take interest in each other's ways - instead of learning to fear and have animosity towards stuff that was different from our own ways at home - -which is how most people act, and i think THAT is why they have such negative experiences when they move anywhere away from what they know. it's not 'miami' and it's not BECAUSE of 'miami' - its cause ppl who are like that, are unable to accept anything "other" than their own experience, as valid. Things here are so different from what they know, and they can't adapt. to them it just feels 'wrong'. so they get upset, bitter, whatever description you want to use - cause it's not the way "they" feel is "right".

so yeh, i'm atypical in that my basic fundamental belief is that no race, culture, religion, ethos, or lifestyle is any better than any other. they're all just different. and fascinating. i've lived and worked long term, like for years at a time, in a couple different countries around the world.... and funny enough, everywhere i go i've been well-accepted, treated kindly, no negativity cause i'm American, female, foreign, etc etc etc. I believe that has everything to do with my own core beliefs, attitudes, and how i present myself out in the world - and almost NOTHING to do with each individual city or locale where i lived.

so for me it's not really about 'finding a niche', it's about the outlook and attitude with which one approaches life, regardless of geographical location or surroundings. IME it's about 'you get as good as you give'. and yeh, i know that's a cliche, but it has actually been true for me -

Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM

catt6: i love multiculturalism. its just miami is generally a hatefest with lots of people from other countries bringing their emotional baggage from elsewhere. i was basically a laid back hippie-geek in socal and was very live and let live prior to moving here. its a shame miami isnt MORE multicultural. we need more asians (all types) and indians (from india). schools i grew up in were very multicultural but very police enforced. you dont get away with the stuff you get away with here. maybe thats what makes multiculturalism work. if you break the law in california, prepare to be incarcerated.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM

309 posts, read 617,469 times
Quote:
lots of people from other countries bringing their emotional baggage from elsewhere
well, no duh... that's just LIFE, everywhere....emotional baggage is nowhere near specific to miami. It's only expereinced as a 'hatefest' for those who have their own hateful p.o.v. Miami, and the people who live here, are sure not treating me that way.

police-enforced? in SCHOOL? oh HELL no. what a nightmare way to live. that only engenders a belief that the way to get ahead in life is by force, aggression, and lording power and control over others. YUK. now THAT, is a disgusting and miserable way to live!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
well, no duh... that's just LIFE, everywhere....emotional baggage is nowhere near specific to miami. It's only expereinced as a 'hatefest' for those who have their own hateful p.o.v. Miami, and the people who live here, are sure not treating me that way.

police-enforced? in SCHOOL? oh HELL no. what a nightmare way to live. that only engenders a belief that the way to get ahead in life is by force, aggression, and lording power and control over others. YUK. now THAT, is a disgusting and miserable way to live!
there is an officer at schools there but its not a concentration camp. but heavily policed? yes. all areas over there have the same police presence youd see in miami gardens. patrol cars everywhere. step out of line and youre not getting away with anything. i like that.

hatefest = racism everywhere. typical experience. you make some coworker friends. they trust you and then they vent to you about all their racist emotional baggage and suddenly you dont like them. its happened at every job ive worked for here. i dont tolerate intolerance.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,298,350 times
Quote:
i purposely try to stay out of, and away from, the entire corporate-business-oriented mainstream american lifestyle.
No wonder you love Miami. There isn't much getting done in this town. Higher grasshopper/ant ratio than most American cities.

Quote:
people who have a very rigid idea of "how things SHOULD BE", based upon the way things were "where they grew up", and who cannot adapt to ANYTHING that differs from the limited expectations they bring here from whatever town they came from. They feel that "their way" is the only "right way" - so anything different from that is judged as being 'wrong' in their eyes... not just 'different', or something 'new' that they could adapt to, and perhaps even enjoy - but automatically 'less than', and therefore inferior.
That's a good description of the Latin American immigrants who have taken over Dade.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,058,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

I said it before Cixell you are negative by nature, Miami didn't make you like this.

Cixell if you are so paranoic(you are like the apprentice of Tallrick) why don't you just a cheap property cash, save can goods for the rest of your lifetime? buy some gold and bury it in your yard. Or you can buy this:

Costco - Shelf Reliance® THRIVE

Cixcell isn't that bad .... I think TallRick is actually the "Unabomber" .. with his long winded rants and manifestos !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami