U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 AM

933 posts, read 447,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
Miami drivers are just...dumb?

With the exception of highways, all the roads are straight. No hills, no snow, no ice, no sharp turns...or any mix of such. In that sense no matter how psychologically impacting the drivers of miami can be...its just as bad elsewhere due to other driving conditions.
Bingo!

Add to that, not even the worst traffic levels in the US. Miami traffic levels are tame compared to LA, Houston or DC. The drivers choose to drive the way they do because as people, they are quite simply dochebags, but they lack the necessary driving skills to drive like douchebags, hence the plethora of accidents in Miami - a city with no hills, predominantly straight and simple roads, no snow and less traffic than many other major US cities. The cops don't care, so criminals behind the wheel get away with murder, sometimes literally. You also have undocumented immigrants driving with no license or insurance, lots of DUIs, talking on cellphones and texting while driving, a culture of street racing and basically, people just don't give a ****, until they become one of the victims of that lunacy.

Well, I'm off to bed. Hopefully I won't have any nightmares about driving in Miami LOL. That is a chapter of my life that is closed for good!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 AM

73 posts, read 62,802 times
Driving sucks. Seriously, I always wanted to live somewhere with excellent public transportation. Unfortunately your options are severely limited to half a dozen cities in this country and I ended up in Florida. So yeah, Miami has miserable public transportation (outside of the urban core).
You sure as hell can't deny the bad driving, but some of you are blowing this up in extraordinary fashion.
I mean, I've always complained about it, but I can go weeks without it coming up. I've always thought drivers were arrogant and selfish everywhere. Everyone complains about it in St. Louis like they have the worst drivers in the world and STL showed up on a list of friendliest places to drive. I can say Miami is worse than St. Louis, but the only other cities I drive in regularly are Austin, TX and New York City. They are easily as ridiculous as Miami and parts of New York are like Mexico City or New Delhi (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway)

Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 AM

5,094 posts, read 3,879,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
That's ridiculous! You hardly save any gas at all. I break every other law, but that's one law I will abide by, unless I'm in a high speed chase!
That's what the knuckleheads in Miami don't understand.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-26-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 AM

423 posts, read 338,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Miami...you either become it, or hate it and eventually have to leave it...

FYI, I actually lived in Coral Gables (not far from Miracle Mile). I also don't live in a ghetto here as Philly is as dangerous as Miami in that sense.

It's difficult to buy yourself a sense of peace and quiet in Miami. The bad element are everywhere; rich, poor, black, white, Cuban, non-Cuban. I came to the conclusion that ethnicity really didn't matter. Most of the good people left and were replaced by bad people. Now when I use the term "bad people", I'm not just referring to criminally bad. I'm talking snout people with no morals, manners, respect for others. Men in Miami, most of whom were pigs, women were no better either, each gender enabling the awful traits of the other.

I did not make one single friend in Miami. That was really no loss, considering how generally flakly and manipulative many people were towards my STBX wife (one of her so called friends almost ruined our honeymoon). I could never have broken into any of the cliques, even if I wanted to. I know that's also a reflection on me, but I had no desire to make male friends, considering that most men I encountered were loud, ignorant macho pigs, who give the rest of us men a bad name (those of us who don't need to act like human pitbulls, jacked up on testosterone).

Toughen up? That's funny, but expected. No amount of "toughness" could have allowed me to tolerate even one more month in Miami. I was so desperate to get out that I packed my **** and left, spending nearly 3 months sleeping on an air mattress in my friends' spare room. Trust me, I put more than a few *******s in their place during my time in Miami. The funny thing is for all that anger and aggression, most people there are either all talk, or they're so mentally unstable that they'll shoot you over nothing (which is why I tried my best to avoid confrontation as nothing is worth getting shot over).

I disagree still about the driving too. Nowhere in the developed world has as many drivers who simply choose to be reckless just because. Bad drivers are everywhere, but Miami drivers are not only aggressive, they also don't have the skill level to drive that way and the cops never did **** about it. New York is insane to drive in, but you don't have to drive.

Toughen up? No....I just got tired of Miami and her chaos. I guess it's fine when you're young, but after a while, you just get tired of it all; the constant (unnecessary) honking, unprofessionalism and favoritism at work, the prevailing lack of respect for others, the lack of places to just chill out in peace and quiet, the crazy drivers, lack of cultural diversity....you get the picture.

Personality changes: well I'm happier now than I've been in almost a decade. I stopped taking the anti-anxiety pills and I seem to have more of a desire to be out of the rat race than ever before. I also walk or use mass transit as I don't like driving anymore (Miami made me hate cars and driving in general).

Miami: I wish you good luck. I hope you and your people grow up one day so that you can reach your true potential. Me, I'm just too jaded by our last "experience" to ever want to give you a second chance. Besides, I'm a "four seasons" kind of guy who stops at red lights.
I do offer condolences as you seem to have had a rough time though I am glad you are on the way to your personal nirvana now.

However, it seems like you did not make an attempt to make many friends, people in Miami will not "shoot you over nothing." You're blowing the immigrant paradigm way out of control. Instead you seem to have tried to stay in your home and just ride out the Miami wave. It didn't work I guess, but don't worry, Miami is in your past, so relish in that.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 AM

933 posts, read 447,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
I do offer condolences as you seem to have had a rough time though I am glad you are on the way to your personal nirvana now.

However, it seems like you did not make an attempt to make many friends, people in Miami will not "shoot you over nothing." You're blowing the immigrant paradigm way out of control. Instead you seem to have tried to stay in your home and just ride out the Miami wave. It didn't work I guess, but don't worry, Miami is in your past, so relish in that.
No condolences needed, but thanks anyway.

I know it's water under the bridge, but I certainly did try to make friends, at least in the beginning. I hung out with my ex's brother a lot and his friends. I made the effort to get to know them, along with co-workers. I feigned an interest in cars, the Miami Heat, I even tried to be like them for a while, and for a while, I thought it worked. Then I realized that I was still very much an outsider; the weird, tall blond haired guy who always put different music on the jukebox and sounded dumb when he tried to speak Spanish. I also became quite disgusted by acquaintances blatantly hitting on young girls (like the time we were at a hookah bar in the Grove and one member of the group (he was 33 at the time) started trying to hit on a group of girls who must have been no older than 17. So gradually, I stopped socializing in Miami itself, partly because of my own experiences and partly because I'd seen how my ex's so-called friends were a bunch of flaky, immature idiots who seemed to only be good for taking advantage of someone's good nature and kindness.

...I did ride out the Miami wave, but not only by locking myself indoors. I used to enjoy driving up to Delray Beach, other parts of PBC where there were loads of places for me to chill out and read. I am also a huge fan of Florida's west coast as the sunsets were breathtaking. But yes, other times I stayed in. I didn't want to be obligated to go out anywhere in Miami, to have to drop fortunes on drinks, surrounded by people who were simply not a good match for me. I was also tired of "standing out", truth be told. In Philadelphia, I am very much anonymous again.

It's not about immigrants though. Miami is a transient town, transients are often people who are not quite ready to form a sense of community. Some come from other parts of the country or abroad for a better life for themselves, others are just running away from something.

On another note, what happened to Jmlacysr? Part of the reason I popped back was to see if he was still posting, or if he'd managed to get out of Miami? I was going to start a thread on the subject, but the mods would most likely delete it.

Peace.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,168,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post

I cant blame him. for the most part we dont have anything in common with people here. lots of people here dont even have hobbies. all the people i can relate to are in broward or palm beach but it gets too cold/dry up there for the plants i want to grow and here in homestead i can go to the keys anytime i want for good snorkeling. you have to make a 3 day weekend out of it in broward.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 3,879,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I cant blame him. for the most part we dont have anything in common with people here. lots of people here dont even have hobbies. all the people i can relate to are in broward or palm beach but it gets too cold/dry up there for the plants i want to grow and here in homestead i can go to the keys anytime i want for good snorkeling. you have to make a 3 day weekend out of it in broward.
How dare you!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,168,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
How dare you!

well now i know where princess went

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 AM

9,929 posts, read 5,153,032 times
I have driven in LA, I have driven in Portland, OR, I have driven in Seattle, I have driven in Houston, Dallas, NC, Miami, and then, I drove up through FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, PA, NJ, MA, CT and Maine.

The CLOSEST to the crapastic driving in Miami came from all the MD drivers around DC. They were all in a hurry and liked to squeeze in front of you if you left even the bare minimum of space between you and the car in front of you. Further, it would be gridlock for a mile and then, magically, open up and you're back up to 65. You do that for a mile and then SLAM! on the brakes, you're back in to grid lock. It made NO sense whatsoever.

HOWEVER, despite how aggravating it was, and ridiculous, it was STILL not as bad as Miami driving. Each city or area listed has their share of crap drivers and crap traffic. Each area has its downsides and aggravations but NONE of them can top the sheer lunacy of Miami driving. None of them.

In Seattle and Portland, they are slow and stop to gawk at everything. They don't know how to drive in the rain even though it rains there a lot. LA, congestion city. Lots of congestion. But with a few exceptions, (because there are always exceptions), you move along and people aren't aholes.

Houston, Dallas...I could have laughed how easy it was to drive there. Yes there was traffic but people, on the whole, were not **icks. NC...easy. SC...shoot, man, there are so many signs for any type of violation you may think about committing that will land you in the slammer, no one wants to break any rules. VA wasn't bad as far as driving, their roads just totally sucked...VA really needs to work on their roads. I'm surprised I have any type of suspension left. PA was a cake walk and NJ, I was expecting to be annoyed...I was not. Sure, some congestion but they knew how to keep it going and not act like idiots. MA, around the Boston area, was decent and CT was decent, (I just thought their gas prices were out of control).

And all the rest of FL and in to GA was easy once I got the HELL out of the Miami area. (I will admit that Cocoa Beach, I think it is, around Merritt Island...almost as bad as Miami.)

Miami driving cannot be topped. Unless, maybe, you go to a different country where they have no organization, no signs, nothing. THEN maybe it can be topped. But here in the US? NO. It's the worst.

As for making friends...it was very difficult to make a "real" friend. What you get are mostly lunatics, losers, low lifes, back stabbers and liars. I tried very hard to make Miami work. I tried very hard to keep at it and make friends and try to find positives...but it got to the point that I was angry all of the time. I mean, I was ticked off.

That is not who I am. I don't get pissy at the stupidest little thing. I actually have a lot of patience but my patience disappeared...it went past wearing thin right on to a milk carton for missing patience.

I started not to care about people because I saw such a lack of empathy or caring from so many others. They didn't care...eventually I stopped caring as much. That is NOT in my nature.

Let me give you the best example of how much people in that town do not care...

Just before I left, there was a horrible car accident right in front of where I used to work. We actually saw the whole thing...it was RIGHT in front of our work. One person, a younger female, 26 years old, died in that accident. Others were injured but nothing too serious. We had to block off the road, a helicopter was going to come in and take the girl to the hospital...she died before the copter landed, though...and that particular road will be blocked off for awhile when a fatality happens which means people can not get to the businesses on that road...no other way, really, to get to them.

So, here's this girl, on the pavement of the road...here's me and my co-workers doing anything and everything we can think of, (most of my co-workers I should say, some of them only looked and then asked for a "half day" so they could go home and enjoy their petty, alcoholic lives), and then here's the boss. When the police and medics showed up, he showed absolutely zero concern that there was a dead girl on the road in front of his business.

When he realized it was a bad accident and that the road would be closed, he said, "Well, I guess we should just close up and start drinking then" in a very snotty tone.

To the police, all he asked was, "how soon can you clear out of here, I have a business to run."

No lie. Those were his exact words.

Callous. And that is not just him and some of the co-workers. That is the main attitude in Miami. How many times have you heard of a hit and run and the person lies there in the street while people drive past that person, veering their cars around him..no one getting out to help? Because they do not care!

After awhile, I said, "hell with this town" and started just going to work and coming straight home. I stopped trying to make friends, I stopped going places. I wanted to save every last dime I could to get the hell out of there.

It took awhile but I finally did it. I will never live in Miami or South Florida again. I don't care how much someone paid me. It is NOT worth the aggravation.

Since I've been gone, my skin has healed up, (that's from the humidity and temps), my hair is starting to calm down, I'm not burned to a crisp every day because though I put on sun screen, it's so damn hot it sweats right off...pours off, (I worked outside, remember), I am not angry all the time anymore, (still decompressing), I'm not surrounded by loud, obnoxious neighbors, INCESSANT horn blaring, (which, no, there is NO reason for it except to point out to everyone what a tw*t you are), I'm not surrounded by drunks and druggies, I don't have to listen to ignorance, at top volume to boot, every single time I walk out my door, traffic is easy, driving is peaceful, and my heart? The tightening I was feeling in my chest just two weeks before I finally got out? It's gone. My anxiety is gone.

I lived in Miami Beach, Normandy Isles, Coconut Grove and then the Everglades.

Miami is unhealthy and there's not enough money in the world to make me go through that again. And I am NOT exaggerating at all.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM

6,245 posts, read 4,032,849 times
I have lived here for a little less than a year now. One personality difference I have noticed is that I seem to have to be a bit ruder and upfront with poeple more so than other places I have lived. It seems too many people here do not seem to react to basic kindness, so a ruder approach is needed to get the reaction you need.

This probably results in a circular effect of rudeness.

One example: in a store, typical scenario of someone being in your way in an aisle would be a friendly "excuse me". But here, that does not work in many cases. An "excuse me" gets ignored, so you either are moving their basket yourself, or telling them to "move please" in an authoritative voice, or you are just pushing through without saying anything.

But I do not think it is bad enough to bother me, nor bad enough to change my personality. But it probably depends on the area the person lives and the type of people a person has to interact with on a daily basis. I could imagine working or shopping at a place like Walmart would change a person quite drastically in a short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami