U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM

5,926 posts, read 3,412,763 times
"In Seattle and Portland, they are slow and stop to gawk at everything. They don't know how to drive in the rain even though it rains there a lot."

I lived in Seattle for many years and that is true. Someone changing a flat tire would be enough to cause a massive traffic backup (and a few wrecks), due to the gawkers. And the driving in the rain, it is wet up there constantly, yet everyone acts like it is their first time driving in the rain every time.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,031,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have lived here for a little less than a year now. One personality difference I have noticed is that I seem to have to be a bit ruder and upfront with poeple more so than other places I have lived. It seems too many people here do not seem to react to basic kindness, so a ruder approach is needed to get the reaction you need.

This probably results in a circular effect of rudeness.

One example: in a store, typical scenario of someone being in your way in an aisle would be a friendly "excuse me". But here, that does not work in many cases. An "excuse me" gets ignored, so you either are moving their basket yourself, or telling them to "move please" in an authoritative voice, or you are just pushing through without saying anything.

But I do not think it is bad enough to bother me, nor bad enough to change my personality. But it probably depends on the area the person lives and the type of people a person has to interact with on a daily basis. I could imagine working or shopping at a place like Walmart would change a person quite drastically in a short amount of time.
where are you originally from? born & raised? it seems to roughly define how people handle miami.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,831,860 times
Maybe one should take a mini-survey and go around once a week when you do your shopping, for example a Key Biscayne Publix and see how you are treated there versus a Miami Lakes store versus a Kendall store. Then test them against stores in Opa-Locka stores versus Miami Gardens versus Hialeah and see if there is any different treatment based on Socioeconomics. Soak in the atmosphere and see how you are treated and the way people react to you. I know it could get costly and time-consuming but then you could start learning the real Miami. It would be like hypothesis testing. Rich neighborhoods stores treat you better than poor neighborhoods.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM

1,864 posts, read 2,780,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Maybe one should take a mini-survey and go around once a week when you do your shopping, for example a Key Biscayne Publix and see how you are treated there versus a Miami Lakes store versus a Kendall store. Then test them against stores in Opa-Locka stores versus Miami Gardens versus Hialeah and see if there is any different treatment based on Socioeconomics. Soak in the atmosphere and see how you are treated and the way people react to you. I know it could get costly and time-consuming but then you could start learning the real Miami. It would be like hypothesis testing. Rich neighborhoods stores treat you better than poor neighborhoods.
Though others will disagree, I think this plays a big part. I don't get a lot of the treatment people talk about here on a regular basis, but that could be because of where I live.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 PM

9,610 posts, read 4,444,981 times
I can do that for you right now:

The Publix in the 65 and Collins area...horrible if you don't speak Spanish. It's gloomy, dingy, the produce is horrid with flies everywhere and the people are rude.

Go further up the beach to the 95th area, just off of Collins, is another Publix. It's bigger, brighter, cleaner and the people speak English to you first.

Go to the Publix on SW 107th, rude. Not as rude as the one on the beach mentioned earlier but still rude.

Go to the Publix on 137th and SW 8th St...a little better. Still that air of, "why are you speaking English to me" and getting help from anyone like the meat department, produce, etc....very difficult. They just don't know what you are saying. BUT, the cashiers, especially once they start to recognize you, while you still get that eye of suspicion, at least smile at you and say, "hello" in English.

Go to the Publix on Kendall Drive...I don't know the address but if you were to take Krome Ave, turn left on Kendall Drive and the first shopping center where the Publix is, on the right...

Store is huge, bright, clean, the people are friendly, you can get help, no one gives you **** for not speaking Spanish and will try to help you as best they can with the English they do speak. And they try to speak English and also tell you how to say things in Spanish but not because they are expecting you to do it, they are just helping you learn. It is appreciated because they tried to speak English and I'm more open to learning it in Spanish.

Those are my experiences with shopping.

OH and the Extra Supermarket on 127th and SW8th St? Forget about it. If you don't speak Spanish, you're on your own.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 PM

its amazing how much publix vary. there are 2 within a block of me either direction. one has radically better clientele than the other. the worse one i was standing in line waiting for them to build a sandwich for me and there were these two thugs in line ahead of me. one thug smacked his friend really hard. his buddy got f***ing livid and i thought they were going to get into a brawl right next to me. that's when i stopped going to that one and started going to the other publix instead.

arrogance about not speaking spanish is one thing, but some places though i feel for the staff. you gotta be tough with some of these customers here. a few days ago we ate at the chilis in homestead and they're presently training new staff. well because they are training they're a little slow and trying to figure things out. the problem is they let you know they're training when they first come to your table. some people take advantage of this. we watched no less than 2 tables take advantage of this by walking out the door not paying when the waiter was trying to focus on the rest of his tables. just wrong.

you can blame the storeowners for being mean and rude but you also have to wonder if they dont have to be that way because of the mutual lack of respect from the customers who are probably trying to cheat them at every turn. its tough. how do you end an arms war like this?

by the way, stay away from casavana restaurant on campbell drive. we've had white friends who speak spanish listen to the staff talk smack on them in there. they wound up very loudly telling them off in spanish =)

Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,671,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

Go to the Publix on 137th and SW 8th St...a little better. Still that air of, "why are you speaking English to me" and getting help from anyone like the meat department, produce, etc....very difficult. They just don't know what you are saying. BUT, the cashiers, especially once they start to recognize you, while you still get that eye of suspicion, at least smile at you and say, "hello" in English.
I live close to that Publix. I love it. Atleast the people treat you better.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM

780 posts, read 751,033 times
I've always lived here so I can't really say how my personality has changed, but I will say that I'm not anything like the kind of people some of you seem to think of the "average Miamian" as. My dad taught me to always hold doors for people, and I still do it, every time. 90% of the time people say thank you, if I get a door slammed in my face that's too bad I guess. The way I see it, opening the door is just something extra that you don't have to do, although you should still do it, not holding a door is just neutral, unless they literally slam it in your face. I usually speak at a reasonable (to me) level, I don't scream and people still understand me. While I'm more comfortable with English, I usually speak in Spanish first at stores and such since most of the employees would prefer Spanish. I never use Spanish if I feel that someone doesn't speak it, basically if they look African American or white lol, but if they look Hispanic I will use Spanish. Not sure how this makes me rude or a bad driver.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,380,548 times
I go to the Publix on Campbell, across from the new hospital. Everyone says hello to me as I pass them by (the employees), everyone speaks English. No problems or complaints. I do go shopping very early...

Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I go to the Publix on Campbell, across from the new hospital. Everyone says hello to me as I pass them by (the employees), everyone speaks English. No problems or complaints. I do go shopping very early...
thats the good one! the bad one is on speedway and biscayne!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami