U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,052,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Hey guess what. That is what most tourist see of Miami because there is no reason for them to go into the poor areas or high crime areas. JUST like people who visit LA, Chicago, New York, DC, Boston, Barcelona, Rome, Nassau etc.... Do not see much of the poor areas. People visit places to see nice places. I do not get your point. Yes Miami has bad areas but so do the vast majority of large cities in the world.
Your point please?
bull. most of the city is poor. the difference between miami and other cities is most cities are good areas with spots of bad areas, whereas miami is a giant bad area with a few good spots.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,804,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
bull. most of the city is poor. the difference between miami and other cities is most cities are good areas with spots of bad areas, whereas miami is a giant bad area with a few good spots.
Are you talking Miami-Dade County as a whole or just the city of Miami?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 PM

4,599 posts, read 4,651,002 times
Quote:
If you are talking about the extremely small area and pretty small population of the city of Miami. Ehh your somewhat right. But really still not right. It is not the majority. Now if you are talking about the metro area you could not be anymore wrong. I really do not think LA or DC for example are great areas with spots of bad either. There are plenty of cities that have pretty large run down areas.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 AM

404 posts, read 291,534 times
Quote:
So let me see:

Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
South Miami
Brickell
The Roads
Miami Beach
Sunny Isles Beach
Pinecrest
Pembroke Pines
Kendall
Wynwood

These are generally poor areas?

Sizable communities with little crime, with the most centered in a bad part of the Grove. You're so full of crap on any given day I don't know how you still want to live in Miami.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 530,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Great clip. Miami definitely isn't like you see on TV/Movies. People are struggling hard down there amidst high cost of living. Don't be fooled by the pretty beaches, swanky nightclubs and hot international women you see in the media. If I could sum up Miami in one sentence, it would be this: Miami is pretty, but the streets are gritty.
You can say the same thing about many other cities (LA, NYC, etc.).

Film crews in Toronto have been known to dump trash in the street to make Toronto look more like New York.

If you were on a trip to Paris would you send a postcard of the immigrant slums on that city's outskirts or would you send a shot of the Champs Elyees?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 AM

3,093 posts, read 1,867,488 times

YouTube - ‪Riot police take over another favela in Rio... - no comment‬‏

They don't show you the violence in the favelas in the beautiful City of Rio de Janeiro

Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
So let me see:

Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
South Miami
Brickell
The Roads
Miami Beach
Sunny Isles Beach
Pinecrest
Pembroke Pines
Kendall
Wynwood

These are generally poor areas?

Sizable communities with little crime, with the most centered in a bad part of the Grove. You're so full of crap on any given day I don't know how you still want to live in Miami.

then basically they must live extremely isolated existences. maybe thats the problem. little of that population is middle class/working class. practically everyone i work with commutes down from broward in almost every job ive taken in miami. it seems the middle class population prefers the suburbs of broward. you are a clear example of the attitude of this city if you insult someone's opinion. i never said i wanted to live in miami. i've said before I HAD to live in miami for my hobbies. thats the only reason my gf and i are here. other than the enjoyment of the climate and nature i cant see why anyone else is here when there are so many cities that have so much more to offer. ive been here 7 years. i will continue to document the decline of this city as long as it continues to decline. it makes no difference to me and its actually better for me to get farmland for a grove if more people move out.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 AM

404 posts, read 291,534 times
Quote:
then basically they must live extremely isolated existences. maybe thats the problem. little of that population is middle class/working class. practically everyone i work with commutes down from broward in almost every job ive taken in miami. it seems the middle class population prefers the suburbs of broward. you are a clear example of the attitude of this city if you insult someone's opinion. i never said i wanted to live in miami. i've said before I HAD to live in miami for my hobbies. thats the only reason my gf and i are here. other than the enjoyment of the climate and nature i cant see why anyone else is here when there are so many cities that have so much more to offer. ive been here 7 years. i will continue to document the decline of this city as long as it continues to decline. it makes no difference to me and its actually better for me to get farmland for a grove if more people move out.
Honestly you are such a clown. How do most of the people in these neighborhoods live in an isolated existence? Miami is small; unless you live on Fisher Island or in a really wealthy gated community, everyone goes out and about in Miami. And complaining that there are no middle class neighborhoods is entirely irrelevant to your main point in one of your previous posts: that there are more bad areas than good, and this is not the case.

You don't have to live in Miami for hobbies, and it seems the idea of it is horribly misguided and naive. Homestead sucks dude, hobbies or not. And a hobby is simply that--a hobby--it shouldn't run your life. However, since you constantly complain about Miami being a cesspool but yet you stay for your nature "hobbies," well, how valid are any of your posts when you're not even interested in your quality of life here?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM

hobbies are passions. mine is tropical plants/tropical fruit and coral reefs. those are the only reasons i picked miami. i couldve given a crap about the people or anything else. i assumed it didnt matter and that it was just like anywhere else in the country as many people who come here assume. that is clearly not the case. so be it. i adapted and survive here. but thats not going to stop me from making people aware of the massive downsides and relatively few upsides to miami so they dont get conned into moving here without having the real picture. you would lead some families to lives of misery and tell them to move here with young kids. there are plenty of eager optimistic people you convince to move here through these forums and then they arrive and turn into horrendously miserable people and then you complain and try to tell others that what they say isnt valid or accurate. that is called lying or being deceptive.

and honestly, it doesnt matter what you minority of die-hard miami 'can do no wrong' fans say. there is a chorus of voices out there on forums all over the internet screaming the downsides of miami. the word is out. i visited some coworkers up the state who were suspicious of me simply because i came from miami. they asked me if i was one of those crazy people who drive 100mph.

I find it very amusing they sabotaged Julio Robaina's campaign simply on the grounds of being the mayor of Hialeah. lol.

If I seem like I'm ranting it's just the stark difference every time i come back from a three day weekend and am clearly able to see the difference between miami and the rest of the country. How people are honest and tolerable elsewhere. In a few days I'll forget and be back to normal.

Last edited by cixcell; 07-05-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,897,533 times
Quote:
hobbies are passions. mine is tropical plants/tropical fruit and coral reefs. those are the only reasons i picked miami. i couldve given a crap about the people or anything else. i assumed it didnt matter and that it was just like anywhere else in the country as many people who come here assume. that is clearly not the case. so be it. i adapted and survive here. but thats not going to stop me from making people aware of the massive downsides and relatively few upsides to miami so they dont get conned into moving here without having the real picture. you would lead some families to lives of misery and tell them to move here with young kids. there are plenty of eager optimistic people you convince to move here through these forums and then they arrive and turn into horrendously miserable people and then you complain and try to tell others that what they say isnt valid or accurate. that is called lying or being deceptive.

and honestly, it doesnt matter what you minority of die-hard miami 'can do no wrong' fans say. there is a chorus of voices out there on forums all over the internet screaming the downsides of miami. the word is out. i visited some coworkers up the state who were suspicious of me simply because i came from miami. they asked me if i was one of those crazy people who drive 100mph.

I find it very amusing they sabotaged Julio Robaina's campaign simply on the grounds of being the mayor of Hialeah. lol.

If I seem like I'm ranting it's just the stark difference every time i come back from a three day weekend and am clearly able to see the difference between miami and the rest of the country. How people are honest and tolerable elsewhere. In a few days I'll forget and be back to normal.
You should have said "Yeah, I am! Now stick em' up!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami