U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,304,757 times
She is Cuban American, born in Puerto Rico and raised here. I can honestly say if you are from the midwest, you will have a seriously hard time adjusting. I'm a quarter Cherokee and the rest of me is Gringo.

----

My man, Miami is packed with Cherokees and Cubans raised elsewhere!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM

309 posts, read 267,286 times
Many things that people DON'T like about Miami, are not specific to Miami, per se. I've lived/worked in several tourist areas -- Waikiki, Cancun, Tucson & Yuma (arizona), San Felipe (mexico) - and most of the stuff here that new residents dislike is present in ALL towns where tourism is prevalent - and also, where there are many immigrants. A lot of what is interpreted as "rudeness" is the habits that people have brought from wherever they emigrated from, into America. And yes, in the USA, many of those habits are not how 'we' live, and are interpreted as 'being rude'; and are definitely different from "our" norms: more pushyness, and less "cordial politeness" than most of America is used to. A lot of this I recognize as "this is exactly how it was when i lived in Mexico" - so i 'get it". it's not necessarily intended as "rudeness" per se - it's just a totally different way of everyday lifestyle, which many immigrants have no clue they are even DOING. To them, it's just normal way of life - and that includes the HORRIBLE driving habits. But there again, that's exactly how they drive in Mexico, in Jamaica, in Trinidad - many foreign places i've lived. ..... constant horn-honking, no turn signals, utter disregard for other drivers, speeding and swerving all over the place - i really dislike it too -- but i also have an understanding of where it comes from -- so I don't have any judgements on "Miami", as if this city itself, is the problem. Because - it's not. A lot of the stuff people hate about Miami, is NOT specific to Miami itself - it's a relatively common dynamic among many tourist towns, and many foreign places.

I do totally understand that many Americans who move here from other states, HATE the overwhelming immigrant influence, and all that goes with it. there's nothing that can really be done to mitigate that, except for being open-minded to learning and understanding how it is here, and letting go of their expectation that Miami is just just like any other American city, just with a beach. it is SO not that - immigrants are a huge portion of the population, and for me, having an understanding of their habits makes a huge difference in my ability to enjoy this place, and accept all the foreign habits of the population, that are part of it. I also happen to really enjoy the foreign culture influence.... but I'm aware that many people don't. For them, Miami will feel like a miserable hateful unwelcoming place, not like 'home', and not like they are even living in their own country. But for those that can make the shift, and embrace living in what feels like a 'foreign land" (LOL), it can be a really lively, enjoyable, fascinating, enriching place to live.

imho, Miami doesn't 'feel like' an American city at all. To me it has the 'vibe' of living in the Caribbean or South America; and a lot of people moving here from other American cities HATE that, cause they come with that expectation that the dynamics will be just like any other American city, so i really get why a lot of people just hate that. But it's a plus for me. i actually LOVE it that i don't feel like i'm in "mainstream America" - that's one of the main reasons I came here ..... so i could, in some sense, always 'feel like' i'm on vacation in the Caribbean or South America - even though in reality, it's everyday working life, same as it was for me back up north where i came from, but with a very different background context .... one that i love WAY more than mainstream boring 9-5 life in Philly.

Since i've worked in travel/tourism for many years all over the world, i'm familiar with the dynamics of living & working in a tourism area, and i don't blame the negatives that go along with that, specifically on Miami. So I have no problem with this place even with all the annoyances that are often cited as reasons to 'hate' it and leave. The magnificent climate, proximity to the ocean, the big weather, the outdoor lifestyle, the immigrant influence, and the HUGE culture mix are all things that I adore - and I figure that no matter where I live, I'm gonna have to work and pay bills, pay rent or mortgage -- so I may as well pick a place with great climate and fun atmosphere to live and work in. When I lived in Hawaii, I used to say "At the end of my workday I'm ON WAIKIKI BEACH!!!!! - what more could I ask!"

and i feel the same about here.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM

11,718 posts, read 17,359,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
imho, Miami doesn't 'feel like' an American city at all. To me it has the 'vibe' of living in the Caribbean or South America; and a lot of people moving here from other American cities HATE that, cause they come with that expectation that the dynamics will be just like any other American city, so i really get why a lot of people just hate that. But it's a plus for me. i actually LOVE it that i don't feel like i'm in "mainstream America" - that's one of the main reasons I came here
That's what attracts me!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 PM

423 posts, read 518,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C515 View Post
Hello. I would love to consider moving to Miami, but I need everyone's honest opinion on this fantastic city. I have heard so very much about this city and I want to get a true grip on how it is living in Miami and South Florida.

I am from the very middle of the Midwestern United States. I will be graduating with a Master's of Finance/Accounting, with a minor in Marketing, Spanish and French. I am also working on getting a minor in Italian and Portuguese, I love to travel and learning new things.

I have always loved Miami, it is just hard to really get an idea of what it would be like to live there when you get so many different ideas from television, movies, etcetera.

I was hoping that you could answer a few questions that would help me in my possible move to Miami.

I have visited Miami many times. We would stay in nice hotels downtown or near the airport, but never got a real idea of how big the city really is. People say that Miami is like a small town, you eventually get to know everyone and so on. Would you agree with this? Say you live in Coral Gables, do you shop, dine and work in Coral Gables? Or do you go everywhere? I am asking this because the city I live in, I tend to never leave the neighborhood I live and work in. Everything is conveniently located, and unless I am with company, rarely go out of my normal radius.

Are people nice in Miami? I am a white male, but I have been spoken Spanish to many times, and I enjoy it. I have had always excellent service in Miami with taxis, restaurants, check-in at hotels and airports and so on. Is this just because I am in highly-traveled tourist areas, or just because people are nice in Miami.

Would I be welcome in Miami? I do not have Latin or Cuban roots, but I speak Spanish fluently. I don't know since I do not have these roots that I would sort of looked at differently or not. I could easily carry on a conversation in either language. I do like looking nice, I like to drive nice vehicles and so on, which is not the case where I live. Most people have never even heard of Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Mercedes-Benz or Porsche.

Obviously a major question, housing. Coming right out of school, I will be looking for a full-time job, so I am going to say I would be comfortable with maybe a rental or to purchase a home, but on a limited budget. No more than $200,000. I have and seen a lot of nice homes in Coral Gables, Brickell, Downtown, Doral and Coconut Grove. Would these be affordable areas? Nice and safe areas?

Crime. How does Miami feel on a daily basis to you? I unfortunately see Miami in dangerous city lists, but I have really never felt that way. Always been treated well in Miami, never any trouble.

Weather. Coming from long and cold winters, the Miami weather will be a breeze. I love sunshine, so I am sure there is nothing to worry about. I have heard that it can get very humid in the summers though, but that is absolutely fine. Any comments on the weather?

Anything that I missed that you think I should know about Miami? Please let me know.

Finally, what do you like and dislike most about Miami? Is it a good place to live? I really enjoy Miami and would love to potentially make it home. Please tell your honest opinion.

I really value all of your opinions and I thank you for your help. I would love to make South Florida my home someday and thanks to you all it could really help me decide. Thank you again.
Bro, you are young, white, with money to blow. What are you waiting for? I know that Miami is a no no for raising a family but for a single guy just out of college with a good job and MONEY. Miami is the plaaaaace. Forget the haters. Can you bring at least 4 G's a month. Then you are set my friend. Believe me, the Spanish thing. Overblow it. But what Im talking about it. You speak the three langauges in Miami that every business is catering now, Spanish, English, and Portuguese, in that order

Note: Go easy with the girls because thats the only department I agree with the Miami haters, the women department. They really are golddiggers, or like to control you to much. But I am sure you will be able to find a sweetheart over here, 1 in a thousand but is doable. Ah? Just in case. When in a first date here never ask for your date working status. Never

PD: Sorry for the white thing but I consider that's an advantage to the OP.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM

423 posts, read 518,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
Many things that people DON'T like about Miami, are not specific to Miami, per se. I've lived/worked in several tourist areas -- Waikiki, Cancun, Tucson & Yuma (arizona), San Felipe (mexico) - and most of the stuff here that new residents dislike is present in ALL towns where tourism is prevalent - and also, where there are many immigrants. A lot of what is interpreted as "rudeness" is the habits that people have brought from wherever they emigrated from, into America. And yes, in the USA, many of those habits are not how 'we' live, and are interpreted as 'being rude'; and are definitely different from "our" norms: more pushyness, and less "cordial politeness" than most of America is used to. A lot of this I recognize as "this is exactly how it was when i lived in Mexico" - so i 'get it". it's not necessarily intended as "rudeness" per se - it's just a totally different way of everyday lifestyle, which many immigrants have no clue they are even DOING. To them, it's just normal way of life - and that includes the HORRIBLE driving habits. But there again, that's exactly how they drive in Mexico, in Jamaica, in Trinidad - many foreign places i've lived. ..... constant horn-honking, no turn signals, utter disregard for other drivers, speeding and swerving all over the place - i really dislike it too -- but i also have an understanding of where it comes from -- so I don't have any judgements on "Miami", as if this city itself, is the problem. Because - it's not. A lot of the stuff people hate about Miami, is NOT specific to Miami itself - it's a relatively common dynamic among many tourist towns, and many foreign places.

I do totally understand that many Americans who move here from other states, HATE the overwhelming immigrant influence, and all that goes with it. there's nothing that can really be done to mitigate that, except for being open-minded to learning and understanding how it is here, and letting go of their expectation that Miami is just just like any other American city, just with a beach. it is SO not that - immigrants are a huge portion of the population, and for me, having an understanding of their habits makes a huge difference in my ability to enjoy this place, and accept all the foreign habits of the population, that are part of it. I also happen to really enjoy the foreign culture influence.... but I'm aware that many people don't. For them, Miami will feel like a miserable hateful unwelcoming place, not like 'home', and not like they are even living in their own country. But for those that can make the shift, and embrace living in what feels like a 'foreign land" (LOL), it can be a really lively, enjoyable, fascinating, enriching place to live.

imho, Miami doesn't 'feel like' an American city at all. To me it has the 'vibe' of living in the Caribbean or South America; and a lot of people moving here from other American cities HATE that, cause they come with that expectation that the dynamics will be just like any other American city, so i really get why a lot of people just hate that. But it's a plus for me. i actually LOVE it that i don't feel like i'm in "mainstream America" - that's one of the main reasons I came here ..... so i could, in some sense, always 'feel like' i'm on vacation in the Caribbean or South America - even though in reality, it's everyday working life, same as it was for me back up north where i came from, but with a very different background context .... one that i love WAY more than mainstream boring 9-5 life in Philly.

Since i've worked in travel/tourism for many years all over the world, i'm familiar with the dynamics of living & working in a tourism area, and i don't blame the negatives that go along with that, specifically on Miami. So I have no problem with this place even with all the annoyances that are often cited as reasons to 'hate' it and leave. The magnificent climate, proximity to the ocean, the big weather, the outdoor lifestyle, the immigrant influence, and the HUGE culture mix are all things that I adore - and I figure that no matter where I live, I'm gonna have to work and pay bills, pay rent or mortgage -- so I may as well pick a place with great climate and fun atmosphere to live and work in. When I lived in Hawaii, I used to say "At the end of my workday I'm ON WAIKIKI BEACH!!!!! - what more could I ask!"

and i feel the same about here.
Whaoo, Excellent post, you just described how I feel about Miami.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 AM

4,732 posts, read 4,384,419 times
Being white is only an advantage if you are hooking up with a racist white supremacist cuban or south american who doesn't want to mix with the "indio". Pfffft....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami