Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 PM

55 posts, read 163,068 times

Advertisements

Also, I forgot another thing! This is something I really would like in detail, if you could please.
I know how people act, but I really want to know how safety is down in Miami. I myslef never have had any problems. Now that I think about it, I have never felt uncomfortable when I have been in Miami. But, how does it go for you as residents?
I have heard a lot of criticism on how horrible people think it is. People told me that they have gotten shot at, items stolen and so on. I know that Miami is not like the Midwestern small communities where you leave your front door unlocked, your car unlocked and I know people who go in the grocery store, leave their car running and come out ten, fifteen minutes later. I know for a fact you are not to do that in Miami --- in any large city; it is simply common sense.
But, I believe I have in some "shady" neighborhoods before, never felt unsafe. I believe we were outside of Doral one time looking for Dolphin Mall and we stopped at a gas station for directions sense the GPS was outdated and slow. My mother, who does not speak a word of Spanish, went inside and I was actually considering going in with her just for my piece of mind. She came out and said that he didn't understand very well, but could catch what she was meaning. She said he was very nice and tried is best to explain, and she eventually could understand. I was surprised.
So, what do you all think? I would consider from my experience Miami is safe. But, is that all different when you live there? Thank you!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C515 View Post
Also, I forgot another thing! This is something I really would like in detail, if you could please.
I know how people act, but I really want to know how safety is down in Miami. I myslef never have had any problems. Now that I think about it, I have never felt uncomfortable when I have been in Miami. But, how does it go for you as residents?
I have heard a lot of criticism on how horrible people think it is. People told me that they have gotten shot at, items stolen and so on. I know that Miami is not like the Midwestern small communities where you leave your front door unlocked, your car unlocked and I know people who go in the grocery store, leave their car running and come out ten, fifteen minutes later. I know for a fact you are not to do that in Miami --- in any large city; it is simply common sense.
But, I believe I have in some "shady" neighborhoods before, never felt unsafe. I believe we were outside of Doral one time looking for Dolphin Mall and we stopped at a gas station for directions sense the GPS was outdated and slow. My mother, who does not speak a word of Spanish, went inside and I was actually considering going in with her just for my piece of mind. She came out and said that he didn't understand very well, but could catch what she was meaning. She said he was very nice and tried is best to explain, and she eventually could understand. I was surprised.
So, what do you all think? I would consider from my experience Miami is safe. But, is that all different when you live there? Thank you!
i dont really feel its physically dangerous unless you were in some really bad areas. its more of the constant bombardment of rude aggressive mean uncooperative people that eat into people.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:43 PM

^^^ Cixcell --- I can see what you mean. In another thread, a girl was talking about how you can be sitting at a stoplight and the millisecond it turns green, people blare their horns at you. I haven't had this happen, but I can see it happening. I'll be honest, the moment I read that, I burst out laughing.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM

73 posts, read 119,241 times
I've only had that happen in Hialeah.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Miamians might not have values, ethics or sense of wisdom... but, that doesn't mean they are mean people. They are good at heart.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Miamians might not have values, ethics or sense of wisdom... but, that doesn't mean they are mean people. They are good at heart.
I couldn't agree more. They have their moments for sure, but their small, good old Cuban hospitality makes up for every horn honking.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeee View Post

As for the Grove, I wouldn't put it in that mix. You know when you're in Coconut Grove and the neighborhood likes to think of itself as a separate municipality. It just has a completely different vibe. The old hippies, the yuppies, the artists, the college crowd and the wild foliage and vegetation. I love that place.

The Roads and Shenandoah are pretty similar, it's probably better as a more general Coral Way neighborhood, but you know you're not in Doral or Kendall.

I've heard about people being against the Upper East Side moniker, but since I've lived here that's what I've gotten used to calling that northeastern tip of the city. Have you been in those gated communities? Have you seen that stretch of Biscayne Boulevard? ...
Well, the hippie/artsy scene in the Grove is not nearly what it used to be. Outside of Cocowalk itself, I still contend that the Grove very much resembles the Roads and Shenandoah, though all the above are a world apart from Kendall or Doral. I admit to not spending much time in Buena Vista. Then again, there's not much there...

Nor do I spend much time in those gated communities, since I don't live there, and I have no business there! Up to recently, you didn't hang out along that stretch of Biscayne unless you were in to some illicit activity. There still seems to be distrust between the gated communities and Biscayne itself, as I keep seeing in the news that the gated communities keep wanting to isolate themselves more and more!

I also like where I live (Aventura) and consider it to be a distinct place with it's unique vibe, I'll be the first to admit it is also NOT a real urban neighborhood: definitely not the likes of what the OP was looking for.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
Ok, I moved to Miami from Seattle 5 months ago to be with my fiancee. She is Cuban American, born in Puerto Rico and raised here. I can honestly say if you are from the midwest, you will have a seriously hard time adjusting. I'm a quarter Cherokee and the rest of me is Gringo. Before I came down here she told me that I could pass for being Hispanic. Everytime we go out to eat, the grocery store, or anywhere people look at us like we're from the DEA, or INS, seriously. An uneasy feeling. Bottom line, you will deal with discrimination in Miami. You do speak Spanish, so that will help. Whoever said this is a great wonderful place, is candycoating it.

Driving, well, that's a whole different story. Just forget that you have a turn signal. Swerve alot, and talk and text on your cell phone without any regard for anyone around you, so you'll fit in and not seem like a tourist. Also honk your horn alot. This is how people communicate here, even at a red light, like they're going anywhere. Honestly, I've been around the world, only New York and Turkey have worse drivers than here of the places I've been. In fairness to the people from Miami, I see alot of New York, and Jersey plates here, and their driving habits are similar to what I see in Miami, so maybe they corrupted the drivers here.

People from Miami were schooled on the art of rudeness by New Yorkers. If you're Anglo, or mostly Anglo, or have any Anglo traits in Miami, your voice will be stepped on, and you will be discriminated against. It will be no different than if my fiancee went to live amongst Southern White trash in Alabama, equally as wrong as what's happening to me down here.

Make sure you have a job lined up before coming to Miami, which I would recommend against. You will fight discrimination in finding work in Miami.

The cool calm politeness of the Midwest, or places like Seattle, well leave all that behind, because there isn't an ounce of common courtesy here.

Don't hold the door open for anyone, because they don't appreciate it. Everyone here walks around with a sense of entitlement. It's a little bit like L.A. with all the plastic surgeons, and vanity driven freaks but much ruder, much much ruder and about equally as phony.

Don't get me wrong, I have met some nice people since I've been here, but they are few and far between and people have a very thick cold skin in Miami. Kind of ironic for such a sunny place.

Since arriving in Miami, my fiancee and I almost got carjacked in Homestead coming back from Key Largo. I've had a gun pulled on me while driving. I avoid 5 or more accidents a day. Driving is a constant stressful challenge.

You've been warned, but if you still want the challenge, good luck, you're going to need it.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Blah, Blah, Blah.

I am from the midwest and also lived in Seattle for many years, I think Miami is just fine. The midwest is hardly the center of politeness, rude as heck to anyone who does not walk the line everyone else does in those areas.

"Everyone here walks around with a sense of entitlement"

That describes over half the country now days,

"She is Cuban American, born in Puerto Rico and raised here"

So, what makes her Cuban? Let us see; not born in Cuba, not raised in Cuba...........
DO Cubans in Cuba go around and call themselves Spanish-Cubans? Or is the hyphenated name only reserved for the US?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Miami is a miniature New York City, except a whole lot cleaner. There are rude people not all, this isn't Mayberry where you will get a friendly hello from Andy and Barney, however some here may actually look your way with a smile.

Speaking Spanish fluently is definitely an asset and being that you are from the midwest you probably will get along with most people as most midwesterner have a friendly demeanor. Crime is bad but it is bad in most big cities, you just have to have a large city mentality and you will be fine.

Miami is an expensive city, I would definitely have a job lined up before you arrive.
I like this. If you have a big city mentality and big city competitive edge you will be just fine in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami