Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 10,989 times

Advertisements

Anyone know where to take Spanish classes? Near Doral, Miami Springs, Kendall? Once I get settled I will be focusing on learning Spanish. I speak some from girlfriends and working with others and such but I plan to be proficient now so when i move to South American to retire I can live there at ease of knowing there language fluently.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM

35 posts, read 89,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Its no point kevin, They don't see the success Hialeah really is. It might not be the cracker town I hear it once was, but today its filled with residents of all economic classes. From throughout latin america. Hard working families, everywhere from elderly Cubans to young 2nd generation Colombians starting a family, recently arrived young Nicaraguan struggling in school, big Jamaican family active in the city, normal white family, wealthy Venezuelan couples and beyond that. Surprising to some is that its more bilingual than some would like to admit or even know. The quiet, safe, family oriented neighborhoods are not seen.
I could've easily moved here and hated the sometimes ugly places and spanish being spoken everywhere. But Ive gotten beyond that, my neighborhood is beautiful, the surrounding area is great, and when you socialize and get to know people they are great and believe it or not speak english ( ive repeated over and over about the handful of occasions spanish has been a problem) , alot speak it first anyways. The city is pretty well served to do anything. And I don't know how goverment was before I arrived (heard stories of Raul) but the current mayor Mr. Robaina has been exceptional, the work Ive seen done has been great, working on education, arts, and buisness within the city, but the local goverment is probaly under another stereotype.
Tannerman you are awesome! I wish more people could see things the way you do and think like you! Not just about Hialeah but all of dade county! I cant stand people putting Hialeah down and saying its bad because it isnt! It isnt picture perfect but its no terrible! Im glad you gave it a shot and that you like it and enjoy living there!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:21 PM

102 posts, read 422,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneider View Post
Thank you very much to all of you for all the information you gave me about hialeah gardens. somebody wanted to know where i will be coming from... I am from the basque country between france and spain. It is a lovely place where you can go skiing and to the beach in the same place, an hour by car. I will ask you more questions about hialeah in the future if you don't mind. Watching some videos about hialeah gardens on youtube i came up with a new term for me: "chonga". is it really like that? Hialeah on you tube looks really like a "ghetto", but i suppose that there will be many different areas. Again, thank you all for your comments. kind regards
Hmm... A Basque nationalist (between France and Spain?? Last I checked, Pais Vasco is in Spain, or a looser definition would place the Basque Country within Spain and France, but certainly not between. Andorra, yes... Basque Country, no...)!
That point aside, you are in for a shock when you get to Hialeah. I hope you are more open minded about the chongas you see in the youtube videos than you are about your Basque nationalism. Most kids in Hialeah seem to be pursuing everything except an exceptional education, and from my experience, are poorly educated on what life is like beyond the city's borders.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
I was never aware that the youth of hialeah was ruined! My opinion hip hop has a negative effect on youth, but to say that hip hop RUINED a whole generation! Come on now. I mean it's not like Hialeah has a great wall of China around it, shielding us poor Hialeahns form the rest of Miami Dade. Some of us do work elsewhere. and like I have mentioned before, Liberty City and Allapatah are also part of Miami! Miami is not all Brickell.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
Chelito,
Even as recently as the 80's there were part of Hialeah that were surrounded by farms. And, Okeechobee Roas was a wall of Australian Pines (a whole other thread I KNOW) from the 112 all the way to Hialeah gardens. I don't recall Hialeah ever being lush as let's say some neighborhoods in NE Miami, Pinecrest, or Miami Springs,but once upon a time, yes, there were trees.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM

40 posts, read 111,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I Think there are just differnet groups of people that are on here .........what i mean by that is that there are people that are making a decent living and just drive to work and to do thier "adult" chores and they don't notice what other people are talking about when other people say there is problems in thier neighborhood.......those type of people "the sheltered adults" are the ones who would look at that pic with the 2 guys by the pimped out car and say, "there goes the neighborhood" and they never notice the poor and thier problems. They just have work on thier minds and what TV show is coming on later tonight and they are oblivious to the guy with "will work for food" sign standing in thier perifrial vision by the bus stop.......

Well those 2 guys might be good guys and might not be i dont know them personally so i cant judge them but the way they look has to tell you what kind of world is around them in "thier" neighborhood and they might just be influenced by actually seeing stuff go down in thier neighborhood . People can say yeah i live there and i see no sign of anything ghetto or anything going on in the whole city of Hialeah that is bad.......

but i think those are the type of people who just block out the reality of how the youth is living and they don't want to give these kids any help by being a positive influence (by just talking to them like a human) instead they just get in thier car glance at these kids and ignore them and go to work in fear of a stereotype.....Hialeah is just a normal suburb for Miami but if you put Hialeah in another city besides L.A. it would be a real culture shock to those people....
Finnaly, your soo right thanks for putting that out

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
well if crime is your question then heres the city-data for it

expect attitude from drivers and a lot of it. you can go to south beach which is full of clubs and nightlife. as for your kids, there is a park called amelia earheart which has a few activities in there. i don't know about the other schools in the area but avoid hialeah middle/senior high school, your kids will thank you.
keep in mind that there are alot of crime and murder that nobody knows about so that is not very accurate.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stat3man View Post
You're confusing Hialeah with Miami. I think, if you look at the stats, Hialeah is nearly always among the safest larger cities in the entire state of Florida. The people who live there are too busy working and building a life to bother with committing crimes.

Rich.
no no no no no haha wow your very incorrect, almost every single house in hialeah has burglar bars there might not be alot of murders but you can trust me there is alot of robbery. growing up in east hialeah i now have an instinct of my surroundinds and i always worry about getting robbed, whenever i visit hialeah today i always keep my chain tucked in and always look after my back. Also hialeah does not even compare to rich not west or east hialeah it is very very poor and ugly, there are way to many run-down apartments and townhouses, etc. NOT RICH!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM

261 posts, read 703,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiChris View Post
no no no no no haha wow your very incorrect, almost every single house in hialeah has burglar bars there might not be alot of murders but you can trust me there is alot of robbery. growing up in east hialeah i now have an instinct of my surroundinds and i always worry about getting robbed, whenever i visit hialeah today i always keep my chain tucked in and always look after my back. Also hialeah does not even compare to rich not west or east hialeah it is very very poor and ugly, there are way to many run-down apartments and townhouses, etc. NOT RICH!
I think the dude's name is Rich, I don't believe he was calling Hialeah rich.

The basic thing about Hialeah is that it's working class. That means it ain't star island, but it's not a ghetto either. I can name you ten areas in Miami I would live in before I went to Hialeah, and ten that I would avoid in favor of Hialeah.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Great News!!!!!!!!!! Hialeah Park will be opening next month,November 27th as this is stated and documented on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami