Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,270 times

Advertisements

I guess Im a poor illiterate imigrant.

Some people should really stop using stereotypes for places like Hialeah.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Hialeah is not bad at all! It's not nearly as bad as people say it is. It's a middle class city with a good city government. People should stop with the Hialeah stereotypes, because in truth it does offer a lot in terms of a good suburban community. It may not be Brickell or Coral Gables, but it's not a Liberty City. However, some people in Hialeah could learn to use English more often.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:37 PM

Its no point kevin, They don't see the success Hialeah really is. It might not be the cracker town I hear it once was, but today its filled with residents of all economic classes. From throughout latin america. Hard working families, everywhere from elderly Cubans to young 2nd generation Colombians starting a family, recently arrived young Nicaraguan struggling in school, big Jamaican family active in the city, normal white family, wealthy Venezuelan couples and beyond that. Surprising to some is that its more bilingual than some would like to admit or even know. The quiet, safe, family oriented neighborhoods are not seen.
I could've easily moved here and hated the sometimes ugly places and spanish being spoken everywhere. But Ive gotten beyond that, my neighborhood is beautiful, the surrounding area is great, and when you socialize and get to know people they are great and believe it or not speak english ( ive repeated over and over about the handful of occasions spanish has been a problem) , alot speak it first anyways. The city is pretty well served to do anything. And I don't know how goverment was before I arrived (heard stories of Raul) but the current mayor Mr. Robaina has been exceptional, the work Ive seen done has been great, working on education, arts, and buisness within the city, but the local goverment is probaly under another stereotype.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I am certainly no promoter of Hialeah...and I do think some people are air brushing reality about how "nice" it is...but believe it or not, many people like it, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. It is not a traditional ghetto, although it does epitomize the over consumerization of America and the ME syndrome to a T.

However, it is kind of a run of the mill, nothing special, place. Bad planning, poor zoning...and overpriced property in an industrial area is not usually a place most people would want to live if it weren't for some pressing reason, like having a tight knit immigrant clan nearby. In any event, it has all the stores, banks, road networks, etc that most people would want...and I would prefer living in Hialeah vs. a true ghetto like Liberty City.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 AM

167 posts, read 199,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
I'm gonna fully move in a couple of weeks, can't completely move just yet because my wife but I was down there last week and bought a house, its in a nice, quiet, clean neigborhood, walking distance from an "A" school and a park, so the issue isn't if I'm gonna move I just want a little more information, I wanted to know the commute time from Hialeah to the Doral area and for my wife the Miramar area. I also wanted to know more of the general stuff about Hialeah, I know it has a large Cuban community, from what I could tell it was diverse because my neighbors are Columbian and Korean, the family I bought the house from was brazilian and they live a couple of blocks from house. What are some stuff close by or other things to do. And even though the school by the house is "A", me coming from Florida I know that always doesn't mean a whole lot, is going private a better road to take? My sons are 9 and 10 years old. That's about it, we might move in early or late September not completely sure yet. Oh and were coming from Orlando after 4 years, before that I had grown up in LA and moved to Orlando but now were ready for Miami.
Honestly .... I would have looked twenty miles North in Pembroke Pines or West Miramar ... there are some beautiful gated communities and new shopping , as well as a better class of people than in Hialeah ... sorry but if you are not Cuban , Hialeah will drain on you ... I know many non Cuban Hispanics in Hialeah and they are very unhappy there dueto the general ghetto factor especially of some of the younger Cuban American teenagers in Hialeah .... sorry .

Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Yes, it is almost essential to speak Spanish in Hialeah.
I second you on that one !!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Hialeah has a lot of tiny, working-class homes. The residents are mostly Latin-American immigrants or descendants. That group hates trees and avoids lawns, so the homes have no trees, often tall fences, and the only landscaping is a statue under a concrete enclosure. I have seen a lot of changes in the streets/sidewalks from single-family areas to the "downtown" which is surprisingly cute with its pavers and city-planted trees. Hialeah's ugly, that's a fact. Crime-wise it is not that bad. You are more likely to have a car accident there than be a crime victim. Just remember, Hialeah was an area for light manufacturing and retail/wholesale and has never been the home of the wealthy. The only place that was an attraction was Hialeah Park. Since it has been closed the area has nothing special going for it. Yes there are a lot of low-class, loud mouthed people there, but there are worse cities in south Florida than Hialeah. For a look at what Hialeah used to look like in places, just cross the Miami river to Miami Springs. Just watch out for the speed traps!

The no trees and paved over landscape thing is a recently arrived Cuban immigrant trend .... not a Hispanic thing , so do not generalize . I have third generation Cuban American friends at UM people who live in Pinecrest and Coral Gables and they assure me that Hialeah and its paved over landscapes and park all four cars on the grass / front yard is a recently arrived Cuban immigrant trend and considered "tacky " among more educated upscale Cubans .. as well I have some Colombian friends that live in Hialeah and they also claim that it is a Cuban thing ... who knows why they do this but I do agree it is " tacky "

Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I am certainly no promoter of Hialeah...and I do think some people are air brushing reality about how "nice" it is...but believe it or not, many people like it, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. It is not a traditional ghetto, although it does epitomize the over consumerization of America and the ME syndrome to a T.

However, it is kind of a run of the mill, nothing special, place. Bad planning, poor zoning...and overpriced property in an industrial area is not usually a place most people would want to live if it weren't for some pressing reason, like having a tight knit immigrant clan nearby. In any event, it has all the stores, banks, road networks, etc that most people would want...and I would prefer living in Hialeah vs. a true ghetto like Liberty City.
Excellent post and I agree with you on all points ... Hialeah is what it is and no use looking at it thru rose colored glasses !!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:47 PM

pitty me.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:59 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
Don't worry TannerMan. Some people rather knock Hialeah, instead of where the true problems are. There are plenty of nice homes there that some are only jealous that they can't afford. It is a BIG city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami