Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
If you want plants that will be relatively easy to care for look at this link...
http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/por...dly_plants.pdf
australian pine require very little care too =)
brazilian pepper hedges are very low maintenance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM

84 posts, read 171,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
australian pine require very little care too =)
brazilian pepper hedges are very low maintenance
Thanks for pointing out that weeds are low maintenance.

Mike

Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I think you must have a Peltophorum.
I think that's what I have. If it has the copper pods, then that's it for sure. It is a pretty tree, but I don't think it's suitable for most yards. This thing has grown a lot in just the 3 or 4 years we've had it. We specifically said we wanted a small tree with yellow flowers. Don't know why they planted this.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
A couple small trees with yellow flowers: Senna polyphylla (desert cassia) and Senna mexicana var. Chapmannii.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM

I am in Zone 10 using every technology at my disposal to force Zone 11 because hawaii is unaffordable for mere mortals.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM

208 posts, read 507,313 times
I saw Red maple (Acer rubrum) on the list. I haven't seen a maple tree in Miami. I can imagine planting 4-6 maple trees in the swale

Is it possible to get those Fall colors in Miami?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
If you want plants that will be relatively easy to care for look at this link...
http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/por...dly_plants.pdf

Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM

alot of plants from colder areas rot

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
There is a lot of confusion with "yellow" poinciana. There is another tree tat ahs this name, but it is not a poinciana at all. It grows much taller. But regardless, Valicky did bring up a valid point. The real Yellow Poinciana is a large tree and does have seed pods that it drops as well...but they do well in storms. They break apart vs. toppling over.

Cixell,

The Yellow Pioincianas are somewhat common in Little Havana. There is even (or was) a Yellow Poinciana street tour years back. The yellow vaiety doesn't seem to flower as well as the orange...but they do nonetheless.

Also, the block of SW 14 Terrace between 16 and 14 Aves has several matura Yellow poincianas. You can even see them flowering on Google street view. Just zoom in midway to the block. There is also a Royal Poinciana canopy at the corner of SW 16 Ave and 14 Terr. I highly recommend you drive by....and the area in general has a lot of mature, beautiful, flowering tropical trees.
oh i will definitely check it out. thanks! i almost wonder if it isnt soil or more tropical conditions for the yellow poinciana. they seemed to be in full flush when i visited puerto rico. on the other hand the red poinciana seem to flower less in hawaii because hawaii doesnt have that well defined dry season we get to stress them. maybe the yellow one is just better for more tropical climates.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM

84 posts, read 171,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
I saw Red maple (Acer rubrum) on the list. I haven't seen a maple tree in Miami. I can imagine planting 4-6 maple trees in the swale

Is it possible to get those Fall colors in Miami?
The gov. is usually pretty good on the plant recommendations. They usually have an A&M college or other experts consolidate the list.

I'd suggest giving a call to the 1-800 number listed on the pdf. They'd know better than I would about the specific tree.

Mike

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I was driving around once and I stumbled on this awesome tree canopy on Coral Way (Google Street View). What kind of trees are they - Live Oaks?
Anyone? Bueller?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami