U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM

1,896 posts, read 3,078,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
the only thing i can think of is that people from south america and such dont like the big jungley lush look because they associate it with their original poorer countries and that perhaps people in those countries with very tightly trimmed back well tended areas was a sign of luxury. hawaii is full of americans who like the big jungley look whereas everything is trimmed back into tiny little boxes.

like the horse or lion statues in the yards. a sign of luxury perhaps elsewhere? but just considered gaudy cheeze here.

i really have no idea, i'm just speculating reasons for it because no one has explained it to me why things are the way they are.
Cut down more of the environment, you get more room to build houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,304,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Cut down more of the environment, you get more room to build houses.
no, you simply enforce growth laws. there are tons of growth laws all over california to make sure the natural landscape gets preserved.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,008,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Where the Sun Reigns : Reela Films : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Too bad it is in black and white, but it shows the slower pace life Miami was in the 1950's and how beautiful the city surroundings were with the many places to visit such as Fairchild Tropical Gardens.

The film at the 10 minute mark points out the industrial aspects of Miami as there is a company called Cupromatic and it also shows the vast amount of agricultural area.
Miami was a paradise as recently as the 70's and even early 80's .. when I used to vacation there with my family from NYC and then college in the early 80's . I miss Miami from that era .

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,008,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It was a great looking small city then and now IMO it is a great looking large city. If slow paced southern living is what you like more then yea Miami back then seemed nicer and better. I prefer the large skyscrapers, busy city with South Beach night life. For peace and quiet just have to drive to the Everglades or the Keys.

Also lets not act like everything was perfect in the 50s because it was far from it.
Aethestically Miami Dade County has many large swaths of beautiful natural areas and architecture ... it is many of the people who are ugly in my opinion and not always in the physical sense .

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Aethestically Miami Dade County has many large swaths of beautiful natural areas and architecture ... it is many of the people who are ugly in my opinion and not always in the physical sense .
correct and the crushing stress that comes from that.
in that old miami video everything looks so laid back and relaxed and you have time to think and self reflect. you only find a place like that in hawaii now.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM

4,720 posts, read 5,442,203 times
Quote:
no, you simply enforce growth laws. there are tons of growth laws all over california to make sure the natural landscape gets preserved.
Yea they did a great job with that in LA Miami is a beautiful city with tons of trees and landscape compared to many other cities out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I can agree with you on that. I would not say many but yes I know what you mean. We are not known for are southern kindness
Quote:
correct and the crushing stress that comes from that.
in that old miami video everything looks so laid back and relaxed and you have time to think and self reflect. you only find a place like that in hawaii now.
I really did not want to bring this up but people are missing the point. Yes Miami was laid back and relaxed back then, it was a smaller city as most smaller cities are. Most of the country was laid back and relaxed. You just had to be a WHITE American. Lets not forget where Miami is. It looks great in the video and probably was awesome for many but lets not forget history. Much rather live in today Miami then 1950 Miami.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 PM

"Yea they did a great job with that in LA Miami is a beautiful city with tons of trees and landscape compared to many other cities out there. "

LA is converted desert. that's basically as good as it gets.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 PM

548 posts, read 504,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Drug money ruined Miami. Then trickle-down economics destroyed the local industries. The real estate bubbles were the result. Now Miami is the world's prostitute.
That's your opinion, but Miami vice helped saved miami

Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 687,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

I really did not want to bring this up but people are missing the point. Yes Miami was laid back and relaxed back then, it was a smaller city as most smaller cities are. Most of the country was laid back and relaxed. You just had to be a WHITE American. Lets not forget where Miami is. It looks great in the video and probably was awesome for many but lets not forget history. Much rather live in today Miami then 1950 Miami.
One small correction: you had to a WHITE MALE (non-hispanic).

And air conditioning was very limited in those days....try spending a summer in Miami with no A.C. I'll take the Miami of today.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 PM

8,527 posts, read 16,572,627 times
The last days of Miami and the beginning of MY -UH- ME!

‪Miami in the 80's - Dadeland Shooting - Cocaine Cowboys‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami