U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM

5 posts, read 15,273 times

Advertisements

THANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS/INPUTS.... She is planning to take a trip (without the kids to check both areas) and wow wow woowooo I didn’t know this will bring negative comments about whites, Hispanics, "foreign"<still laughing about that one> and redneck. All she wanted to know was, what would it be better for her and her family to live “peaceful” in a no crime zone- with her family and what would be the bests school to send her kids. She is trying to choose between these two areas because of her job being close bye. She is not buying, just renting LOL. Now, personally I believe that there are bad seeds in each and every culture/race [whites, blacks, Hispanics and (south, central, the Caribbean) ] but also good ones too. So we need to stop generalizing and get to know the individuals not by the races or the origins but by who they are. Also, About does who refuse to speak English in this country too bad for them, I WISH I WAS Multilingualism LOL there’s nothing better to have the power of KNOWLEDGE! And to “communicate”←something we lack off from time to time this world> especially in their native language and this goes both ways too. But I truly appreciated each of your comments and I would let her know about them. I believe she will see for herself many of the things you guys are mentioned here and from there she will decided what would be better for her and her family.
Ps: As long as we are all working hard, in peace and productive way, it doesn’t matter what color or nationality we are. And BTW unless any of you (who are fighting about the “foreign” and being whites as minorities and blab la bla) un less you are PURE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN from the Seminole tribe, Topachula tribe or Miccosukee tripe WE ALL ARE “foreign” in one way or the other in this country. Blessings to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM

101 posts, read 102,723 times
Well good luck in your decision , op.. .what you said is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I don't know that he was saying Doral was nicer than the Gables, just that he would prefer it if he had a family. R...................
But I agree that overall the Gables is much nicer than Doral.
What he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
N................
I guess these two towns are tied in to the Doral and Fountainbleau hotels in Miami Beach
What?? LOL

Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,283,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post
THANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS/INPUTS.... She is planning to take a trip (without the kids to check both areas) and wow wow woowooo I didn’t know this will bring negative comments about whites, Hispanics, "foreign"<still laughing about that one> and redneck. All she wanted to know was, what would it be better for her and her family to live “peaceful” in a no crime zone- with her family and what would be the bests school to send her kids. She is trying to choose between these two areas because of her job being close bye. She is not buying, just renting LOL. Now, personally I believe that there are bad seeds in each and every culture/race [whites, blacks, Hispanics and (south, central, the Caribbean) ] but also good ones too. So we need to stop generalizing and get to know the individuals not by the races or the origins but by who they are. Also, About does who refuse to speak English in this country too bad for them, I WISH I WAS Multilingualism LOL there’s nothing better to have the power of KNOWLEDGE! And to “communicate”←something we lack off from time to time this world> especially in their native language and this goes both ways too. But I truly appreciated each of your comments and I would let her know about them. I believe she will see for herself many of the things you guys are mentioned here and from there she will decided what would be better for her and her family.
Ps: As long as we are all working hard, in peace and productive way, it doesn’t matter what color or nationality we are. And BTW unless any of you (who are fighting about the “foreign” and being whites as minorities and blab la bla) un less you are PURE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN from the Seminole tribe, Topachula tribe or Miccosukee tripe WE ALL ARE “foreign” in one way or the other in this country. Blessings to all.
race relations arent the same like they are in the rest of the country here. the topic of race comes up quite often in person which is ridiculous because to me it doesnt matter. but i was on a jury once where the jurors hated each other racially so badly that they could barely come to a verdict. i wish you luck but you seem way too nice for this place.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 AM

2,750 posts, read 5,793,400 times
Hi Mac

I have been on this forums a while, it is a tough one, the Miami division anyways...and believe it or not, the responses you recieved were actaually tame and well mannered. NO JOKE!

I know several posters, not in real life, but on here...and we speak a certain way...but to a newcommer, certain things may come off as prejudiced or what not when that is not the case at all. Sometimes we answer the same questions over and over so we don't write in as much detail and things come off the wrong way if you aren't familair with a certain posters writing style.

I think when Tallrcik referred to foreigners he meant that there are more well to do, recent immigrants who are not necessarily people with roots in the community in Doral than in other areas. Many pf these residents are investors who own or rent their properties here and are weathering out a storm back in their country...so it gives Doral a feeling like everyone is on vacation or visiting and there isn't a true sense of permanancy when compared to more established areas. This is only exascerbated by the hosuing there being new, homogenous, cookie cutter subdivisions, very little individuality, etc. As a matter of fact, I would personally prefer the more cultured behavior from the kinds of people that live in Doral over every day Miamians in say Fontainebleau...so there is really a big difference in the tpye of people mainly because of the circumstances that brought them to Miami and their economic conditions in their native countries when they left.

So basically, don't get freaked out by what you read here. You just got a taste of Miami...people gave you some honest input...but the bottom line is, most people relocating to Miami for a job would choose Doral over Fontainebleau because it is nicer overall, the people are more educated, it is newer, more convienent, the schools are slightly better, etc. Beyond that people were just trying to tell you why it is that way...so don't think people were attacking the races or anything. People here are vocal...but if you don't have race issues, you won't have a problem.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM

3,651 posts, read 2,310,788 times
The City of Doral derived its name from the ones who built the Doral Country Club and Spa, (Dor)is and (al)fred) Kaskel, by combining part of their two first names.

Last edited by perry335654; 07-15-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM

83 posts, read 115,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post
All she wanted to know was, what would it be better for her and her family to live “peaceful” in a no crime zone- with her family and what would be the bests school to send her kids.
Lol well if thats all you wanted to know then your answer is contingent on one important thing: money. If you have a decent income (i'd say above $30,000?), and a stable job then you ought to choose doral. Its nice, its very quiet, rather pretty landscaping and you have a broad range of restaurants, stores, two malls and buisnesses. Plus, you have excellent schools. I heard the people can be snobby, to be expected of some of the venezuelans with $$$ who are moving in but they're not bad and most people you'll meet should be friendly and exciting. As for spanish, doral has a lot of spanish speakers but its a middle to upper class neighborhood of hispanics so you'll avoid the chusma of elsewhere. I recommend. Plus the dolphin extension (highway) is nearby as if the turnpike

Fountainbleau on the other hand is the option if you don't make as much money or if you'd rather be a little closer to the core of the city (not by much though). It has the dolphin right there and the palmetto isn't far. The area is also peaceful - a little more crime than doral and but it is in fact quite peaceful and you wont really experience much crime to be honest. Its a little more run down looking but its cheaper and i still think it has some very pretty apartment complexes that are well maintained and have a lot of nice families living in them. Its certainly more middle class, probably bordering on lower class but its a working poor: most people are honest, hard working immigrants who are open and friendly. Schools, i know Hadley is a great elementary school - its an A and Reuben is a bit of a problematic middle school...but whatever just go to rockway instead. Its almost exclusively hispanic - that means very very few black and whites. Its also extremely heavy spanish speaking and youll find a much more diverse pop there: nicaraguans, colombians, venezuelans, bolivians, cubans, hondurenos, guatemalans - the bunch.

I grew up in Fountainbleu and it was nice and i live close to doral and visit often and i also think its nice, maybe a bit nicer

Old 07-15-2011, 04:13 PM

888 posts, read 101,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Doral beautified the city. Golf courses, restaurants, corporations, Carnival Cruiselines is based there. Dolphin mall is a magnet for tourists.

Miami was all a swamp, that is why the city cannot have a subway system, because if you dig 10 meters down the surface water will come up.

Are you implying that Miami in general should not have been built?
Not at all.
But, we have plenty of areas where we need infill development, so we ought to keep the Urban Development Boundary where it is and stop moving it farther west. I think areas like Allapattah & Wynwood are perfect areas that can be "beautified" and improved, and no swamps need to be drained. I love having the wide open spaces of the Everglades next to us. I go kayaking during the winter months and it is absolutely beautiful. I would hate for more of it to be destroyed.

Regarding Doral, I was there this morning for a meeting. I like Doral. I like Doral a lot, and I am very open to living out there one day. Then I will change my name from Wynwood to Doral. I mean Doral has been built, so no reason to complain about environmental destruction. But I like Fountainbleau too. Both are different, and really people need to check out both areas (and others) before deciding anything. There are hot women in both neighborhoods. I do not discriminate, I am equal opportunity all the way.

My main issue is when Anglos complain because they feel like they are a minority and it makes them "uncomfortable". They walk into a restaurant in Doral, people look great, sexy women, everyone speaking Spanish - and the Anglos hate it. Honestly, I think it is jealousy, because they want Latinos to be lower class with no money - which is not at all what Doral is.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,995,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I have to agree,I can't see how anyone can prefer Doral over Coral Gables,and I'm not even a big fan of Coral Gables as the only areas I remotely like in Miami Dade are Pinecrest and a few parts of Palmetto Bay and Coconut Grove .When I think of Doral what comes into my mind is traffic,warehouses and congestion.

I think the Gables is one of the nicest areas in Dade County and it flows into Pinecrest .. thus both areas are actually very similar ... Doral has its nice areas but it is just ok in my opinion .

Old 07-15-2011, 05:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,995,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I don't know that he was saying Doral was nicer than the Gables, just that he would prefer it if he had a family. Remember, with kids, you probably need to be near Wal Mart, the stores, newer schools, less "older" money might be a preference, etc. Besides, the Gables isn't really a place where you see tons of kids, when you compare it to Kendall or Doral.

I love the Gables, but I know at the same time people may not like all it's restrictions and codes...so who knows, maybe that's what the other post meant?

But I agree that overall the Gables is much nicer than Doral.
Chelito that is how I read it .... I believe Doral is no where as nice as Coral Gables or Brickell for that matter .

Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 PM

9,647 posts, read 3,962,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
My main issue is when Anglos complain because they feel like they are a minority and it makes them "uncomfortable". They walk into a restaurant in Doral, people look great, sexy women, everyone speaking Spanish - and the Anglos hate it. Honestly, I think it is jealousy, because they want Latinos to be lower class with no money - which is not at all what Doral is.
I don't think it's that I wish the Latinos to be lower class, it's that I want them to speak English. It takes effort to fit in a social circle if you try to approach someone in a setting like the gym or work and hear them talking a foreign language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami