U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM

1,259 posts, read 837,403 times
If you read that article about how Key West has controlled the problem of the dengue fever it says that number 1 - remove any standing water and number 2 - helicopters spraying a nontoxic, noncorrosive powder that mixes with water called BTI.

Sounds good to me. Start with the BT not Dibron. I'm sure it's a $$$ issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:27 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,048,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
If you read that article about how Key West has controlled the problem of the dengue fever it says that number 1 - remove any standing water and number 2 - helicopters spraying a nontoxic, noncorrosive powder that mixes with water called BTI.

[SIZE=2]"Bti", Bacillus thuringienis ssp. israelensis
its a bacterial larvacide

sounds better than the stuff they're using now though!

[/SIZE][LEFT]Is Bti harmful to humans or pets?[/LEFT]
[LEFT]No measurable health effects were seen in laboratory animals that ingested large concentrations of Bti. Cases involving human health effects following exposure to Btiare extremely rare. Direct exposure to Bti was shown to cause skin and eye irritation in some animals (3 (http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/zoo/wnv/larvicides/bti.html#3 - broken link)). Cases of eye and skin irritation in humans have also been reported following direct exposure with some Bacillus thuringiensis products (2 (http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/zoo/wnv/larvicides/bti.html#2 - broken link)). Pets are unlikely to experience health effects from exposure to Btibased on the results from numerous studies involving laboratory animals.[/LEFT]
[LEFT][/LEFT]
[LEFT]Is Bti harmful to the environment?[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Bti is nontoxic to mammals, birds, and fish. In laboratory studies, effects were only observed at concentrations much greater than what would occur following a typical application. Few studies, however, have closely examined potential long-term ecological impacts from Bti application. Some studies suggest that continuous application of Bti over a period of 2-3 years to wetlands may result in an overall decrease of biodiversity (3 (http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/zoo/wnv/larvicides/bti.html#3 - broken link)).[/LEFT]

[SIZE=2]http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/zoo/wnv/larvicides/bti.html

[/SIZE]

Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM

19,378 posts, read 13,792,407 times
Quote:

Oh joy, Dengue fever,mosquitoes so bad they have to spray pesticides from airplanes,Crop dusters i'd imagine.Sounds like a real healthy place to Vacation.. Honey!! wheres that map of NC's Outer Banks?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Yes, if you compare the two - Bti and Dibron, I'll pick BTi anyday. I bet the Dibron is pennies cheaper.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,399,782 times
No "aroma" was added to the dibrom. This is why no smell was detected. Most manufacturers have to add "aromatics" to fungicides and insecticides.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Oh joy, Dengue fever,mosquitoes so bad they have to spray pesticides from airplanes,Crop dusters i'd imagine.Sounds like a real healthy place to Vacation.. Honey!! wheres that map of NC's Outer Banks?
a quick google image search brings up very boring looking pictures of NC's outer banks. mosquitos or not i'll take miami. at least its tropical.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 PM

I think the Outer Banks are gorgeous. I imagine that I wouldn't like the water temps though. Brrrr.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think the Outer Banks are gorgeous. I imagine that I wouldn't like the water temps though. Brrrr.
its just a bunch of sand and grass. where is the biodiversity? where is the leafy lush vegetation?
must be coming from los angeles and what is essentially a desert state with the exception of a few spots. my view of lush green vegetation = paradise is extremely common from where i'm from from but here it seems there is a quite a variation in what types of landscapes people appreciate here thats why its odd for me to acknowledge it. there are many whole groups of people (literally thousands) out in california who dedicate themselves to trying to pitifully grow tropical plants in their yards in a non tropical climate and that is why it is strange to me when people live here in florida where you can do it and just want to grow a bunch of stuff that makes it look like theyre living up north. those in california who can afford it go to hawaii. those who cannot just remain there pining after it, growing things in aquarium tanks and makeshift greenhouses. i knew a guy who lived in one of the worst parts of LA, korea town and had a board he would put across his door at night. and he was growing highland nepenthes in 10 gallon aquariums next to a dumpster in back of the apartment complex. he would tell me about the different species that grew at different elevations on various mountains in borneo between bong rips. i actually hope to get out there to see a number of those species myself next year but i'm off topic now.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM

The beauty of it lies in the lack of high rises. The dunes are pretty too. I like tropical too but it's not the only thing I think is beautiful. Was reading a photographer's blog about the Outer Banks and he said that in the summer they have mosquitoes AND biting flies.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
The beauty of it lies in the lack of high rises. The dunes are pretty too. I like tropical too but it's not the only thing I think is beautiful. Was reading a photographer's blog about the Outer Banks and he said that in the summer they have mosquitoes AND biting flies.
ahh i see. the lack of highrises. in california they have laws protecting the coastline in many spots to prevent what you see here in miami. doesnt surprise me about the mosquitos and biting flies, rarely is an insect confined to one state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami