Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,977 times

Advertisements

Hello,I´m going to move to Miami in a few weeks and I´d like to konw how the public transpot works because in the begining I´m not going to have my own car...
I´ve rent an appartment in south beach and I´m going to work in The Jackson Memorial Hospital so...Is it possible to go fron Miami beach to the Hospital using public transport like bus or metro??
Thank you very much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM

45 posts, read 68,194 times
Hey blanquita. Miami is not great for public transportation but it does exist...you can always try google map directions and select the bus icon to see the public transportation option...checkout route 113 route m swings by jackson and down to the beach...congrats on the job!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

149 posts, read 260,153 times
www.miamidade.gov/transit/

go there and you can type in your route and it will tell you what buses/trains to catch. you can call them as well.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
It is pretty terrible like most young cities. It is IMO the biggest problem this city has and the problem which leads to many other problems the city has. However it would not be too difficult for that route. I dont know much about the bus system in Miami. Have never used it once. But I am sure there is a bus from South Beach that goes either straight to Omni Center or Government Center. From Omni you would then get on the people mover which is a small monorail type system only used in downtown. You would take that to government center to the metrorail which would then be a very short ride from gov center to Jackson Hospital which does have its own station. If there is a but straight to gov center then just hop on the metrorail there. With waiting and bus with traffic etc.. Im going to guess 45min ride each way? If you time the bus perfectly maybe 30 at best.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
If you have an android phone, google maps + the bus icon like someone mentioned, is pretty handy and accurate most of the time.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is pretty terrible like most young cities. It is IMO the biggest problem this city has and the problem which leads to many other problems the city has. However it would not be too difficult for that route. I dont know much about the bus system in Miami. Have never used it once. But I am sure there is a bus from South Beach that goes either straight to Omni Center or Government Center. From Omni you would then get on the people mover which is a small monorail type system only used in downtown. You would take that to government center to the metrorail which would then be a very short ride from gov center to Jackson Hospital which does have its own station. If there is a but straight to gov center then just hop on the metrorail there. With waiting and bus with traffic etc.. Im going to guess 45min ride each way? If you time the bus perfectly maybe 30 at best.
FLYMIA how can you say it's pretty terrible if you've never ridden a bus in Miami? I have ridden many buses in Miami and the worst thing about them is that they have to deal with other traffic! They aren't full of bums and they don't smell like Urine either! I've been on worse transit systems than Miami's!

"blanquita" There are direct bus routes from South Beach to the Civic Center/ Jackson Memorial Hospital. Just use the "miamidade.gov" link "barbeque" provided above. It's very easy to use. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
FLYMIA how can you say it's pretty terrible if you've never ridden a bus in Miami? I have ridden many buses in Miami and the worst thing about them is that they have to deal with other traffic! They aren't full of bums and they don't smell like Urine either! I've been on worse transit systems than Miami's!

"blanquita" There are direct bus routes from South Beach to the Civic Center/ Jackson Memorial Hospital. Just use the "miamidade.gov" link "barbeque" provided above. It's very easy to use. Good luck!
You're right they aren't full of bums. But the occassional one will enter the bus without paying, walk up and down the aisle saying some nonsense, exiting, and banging on the bus windows as it drives away.

Ok, that only happened once.

But there is usually at least one maniac on every bus. It's entertaining. At first I was embarrassed about cracking up and laughing at them because I seriously could not help it, but now I don't care. I figure the bus is full of maniacs anyway.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

I love Miami but public transit it TERRBILE. Of the 10 largest metros in the US IMO Miami has the worst public transit of them all. And of course Miami transit can not be compared to the majority of cities in Europe and many other cities around the world. The metrorail is not large enough. Who likes to ride buses with how slow they are. I do not mean they are dangerou or dirty I mean that you need a car in Miam unless you live in Downtown.
Boston, NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, San Fran, Seattle all better transit.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
i have a friend he bikes from SoBe to JMH. Takes venetian causeway

Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
i have a friend he bikes from SoBe to JMH. Takes venetian causeway
That's convenient. The staff at JMH can treat the wounds inflicted on him by Miami drivers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami