Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:31 PM

769 posts, read 1,725,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Miami is an outhouse....sorry, but it is true. Just leave for a few weeks....you will never know why you stayed so long...not unlike, what was that guy, who always complained about Miami? Forgot him...but he was crazy. At least I was not like that when I lived there....but after I left, I realized how much I was used to...and how crazy it was. Now, I live in a town, where people leave their car running when they run into the 7-11 for coffee...can you even believe that?! That is the norm here...no one locks their doors...and people put their laundry in a washer at the laundrymat, and leave it...go eat breakfast, come back, put it in the dryer, go for a walk...as if that could even happen in Miami...

Ha ha...I was at a red light the other day, and it turned green. I was the FOURTH car back...no one honked, no one did anything...no one moved...finally, after a minute, I finally honked, and the first car went...but can you imagine that happening in Miami? No one is in a hurry here....
That's not really specific to Miami, though. The first part can easily be applied to any city in America. You make it sound like people in the Bronx or Compton leave their cars running. I doubt it. I wonder if that story about the traffic light is even true. That guy must have fallen asleep or been wasted as hell.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM

203 posts, read 427,394 times
i've grown to enjoy the things that miami has to offer. i've met some really great people here. yes, it has it's downsides but i just took the approach that you'll eventually find the things you love - it just requires you to dig deeper and put in more effort. miami has shaped me and has made me appreciate things in life that i haven't seen before.

i'm anxious to get out but i will never regret the decision to move here.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:50 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,062,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I disagree with the whole state being boring besides Miami. Tampa/St Pete holds it's own. A city doesn't have to be chaotic to be fun.

Soooo , true .... good post ..

Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 AM

410 posts, read 830,113 times
I wouldn't say "boring", it depends on your interests. It's young, hip and fairly wild. Three things I wish to get away from.

I also forgot to mention how incredibly expensive it is to live here. It's just not worth it (to me).

Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,256,040 times
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing – when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors – when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you – you may know that your society is doomed" by Ayn Rand

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

140 posts, read 268,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I could not afford to go to the nightclubs, or restaurants. Even parking at the beach was out of my budget. Here, parking is free. There are not fancy night clubs..but the local VFW has beer on tap, only a $1.00.
If for whatever reason you can't take advantage of the best things a city has to offer, there is a good chance you will not like that city. The same topic comes up in the New York City forum. People who have to live in bad neighborhoods and who can't afford to go out absolutely hate New York and talk about leaving all the time.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM

420 posts, read 821,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing – when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors – when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you – you may know that your society is doomed" by Ayn Rand
Quoting one of the worst writers of the 20th century

-1 for you, cixcell!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM

140 posts, read 268,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post

-1 for you, cixcell!
I wouldn't say one of the worst writers; but certainly one of the worst famous writers

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,394,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post

-1 for you, cixcell!
As bad as she might have been, that is one of the few good quotes she produced! So, re-upping you with +2

Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,252,442 times
True, I lived in a ghetto studio in Miami. Now, for the same amount of money, I am renting a two bedroom house, in a nice area. Quality of life...for me anyway..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami