U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM

15 posts, read 36,648 times

Advertisements

I started using the metrorail and was surprised at how convenient it is and how, in my opinion, it makes Miami feel like more of the big city that I want. I live in Kendall and it is not what I am looking for but I believe it is all I can afford unless someone here knows any differet. I currently pay $995/mo in rent for a 1 bedroom, I was wondering if there is anything in that price range or God willing cheaper, with good access to the metrorail like Brickell for example but everything there seems so expensive but maybe someone here knows more than I do about that I hope. Also I come home late at night and my wife is there alone so I need a safe place as well please.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,576,245 times
$995 for a 1 bedroom will be tough in Brickell. If you can go up $100-$150, Loft I downtown might be viable.

No newer building is going to be that low, really. Rental rates are on the rise as well.

Somebody had asked a few months ago about the Jade Garden Apartments near Dadeland. The location of them is good, it's in your price range, I'm just not sure about the quality:
Jade Gardens Apartments in Miami, FL | Apartments.com

Might be worth a shot

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM

529 posts, read 901,929 times
I don't really know about prices. Having used the metrorail a lot before I can tell you that the Vizcaya station near "The Roads" seemed pretty nice and calm compared to the others. Not too much traffic around and close to Brickell.

The coconut grove station was the one I used the most. More activity there, a homeless hang out spot at the station itself. The surrounding area isn't as bad. I imagine the areas after and around the Douglas Road station are more expensive.

Obviously the areas around the stations north of brickell will be cheaper, but they aren't great neighborhoods. Where will you work though? And are you going to be driving to the metrorail and parking or just walking there?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM

888 posts, read 606,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmacyMedic88 View Post
I started using the metrorail and was surprised at how convenient it is and how, in my opinion, it makes Miami feel like more of the big city that I want. I live in Kendall and it is not what I am looking for but I believe it is all I can afford unless someone here knows any differet. I currently pay $995/mo in rent for a 1 bedroom, I was wondering if there is anything in that price range or God willing cheaper, with good access to the metrorail like Brickell for example but everything there seems so expensive but maybe someone here knows more than I do about that I hope. Also I come home late at night and my wife is there alone so I need a safe place as well please.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

Thank you
The Kendall portion that is within walking distance of the Metrorail, is actually one of the safest and most reasonably priced neighborhoods along the Metrorail. And that is if you rent an older building. Downtown Dadeland runs much higher than $995.

What you are asking for is going to be difficult to find - and depends upon your threshold of open-mindedness.

Nevertheless, the first neighborhood that popped in my mind is Spring Garden (Culmer Station), but housing choices are limited to basically 2-3 main buildings.

The second idea would be Little Havana, and then you would take a bus to Metrorail. The ride is short from the station, so it would not be a huge problem at night. A lot of lower cost housing choices are there.

The third idea would be to ride the Metrorail up and down on your day off and wander around a few neighborhoods that look interesting.

Allapattah Station is probably too "dangerous" for you, although there are many families that live around there. I have no problem with the neighborhood whatsoever, in fact I kind of like it. If you are a tough guy, people probably will leave you alone.

I'd also check out 2 Hialeah stations (Hialeah & Okeechobee) and bike around the neighborhoods (bring your bike on these trips as it will save you time).

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or