Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Damn dude! Could you possibly be more insulting? Ease up there, man! This ain't 4chan! Get to know a little more about Mexico before you go making those statements. There's a whole side to Mexico and Mexico City that you don't know about. There's a lot of money flowing out of Mexico city, and Miami has a grip on many of my Chilango friends. Right now Mexico City has a tremendous music scene, and Tijuana has a lot of local music and clubs that would rival anything in the states. I will not be surprised at all to see a massive influx of rich folks from DF, because they certainly have the money to spend! Another group I think you can expect to see a lot of in the near future are the younger generation of Romanians due to a striking cultural similarity.

Totally. I used to clean carpet in the South Bay, in National City, Chula Vista, San Ysidro, Encanto, and Skyline and I can't tell you how many houses I've walked into where the outside was as ugly as a mud fence and the inside was a jaw dropper.

Ok. I'm baffled too, Pear. Cmon. You put it out on the table. Help us out.
I think she is saying Miami is at the low end of Latin American culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"as a new wave of Mexicans; a professional and entrepreneurial class;"

What, all 30 of them?
The idea that Mexico is poor is a common misconception, so I won't hold it against you. It is the world's 13th largest economy and has a per capita GDP of $9000. The world's richest man is Mexican.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The idea that Mexico is poor is a common misconception, so I won't hold it against you. It is the world's 13th largest economy and has a per capita GDP of $9000. The world's richest man is Mexican.
Yes, I know, I work in the finance industry and work directly with countries like Mexico on a daily basis.

I will elaborate my point more, by stating "30", I am speaking of the huge wealth gap Mexico has.

The wealth gap is evident by the fact Mexico has a huge emigration problem, a poor Mexican is better off leaving everything behind and risking their life to mow grass in America than try to make a living in Mexico.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Damn dude! Could you possibly be more insulting? Ease up there, man! This ain't 4chan! Get to know a little more about Mexico before you go making those statements. There's a whole side to Mexico and Mexico City that you don't know about. There's a lot of money flowing out of Mexico city, and Miami has a grip on many of my Chilango friends. Right now Mexico City has a tremendous music scene, and Tijuana has a lot of local music and clubs that would rival anything in the states. I will not be surprised at all to see a massive influx of rich folks from DF, because they certainly have the money to spend! Another group I think you can expect to see a lot of in the near future are the younger generation of Romanians due to a striking cultural similarity.
Every single country claims there is "some other great side" to the country that people do not know about. Go talk to anyone, whether they are from India, China, Bhutan, Iran; everyone will say their country is great, have great unknown things about it that I "obviously" do not know about, then I simply ask if it is so great, what in the heck are you doing here? Oh yes, I will answer for them, economic conditions, the countries are such rat holes that a minimum wage job here puts someone better off than 99.99% of the jobs where they are from.

So while someone can point to a street in one city that may be fun, or that there are some rich people in the country; fact is for the majority it sucks, sucks so much they rather just dump it all and migrate to somewhere else.

Fact is millions of Mexicans risk their lives to come to the US to take up the most labor intensive low paying jobs around, that fact alone does not allude me to believe Mexico is some great area to reside in for most of the population.

If the US opened the border for all with, you would see 99.99% of the population leave, that is your "There's a whole side to Mexico and Mexico City that you don't know about."

I have been to Tijuana numerous times, there is nothing there that would rival anything in the States other than maybe a landfill or the music scene of a small hickville town.

I will say though, if I had a fixed income or was somewhat wealthy based off of fixed investments, I would move to Mexico, there are nice areas that are gated out of the rest of the filth. The low cost of living there would make a fixed income go much further than here in the US, but again, point is the money comes from somewhere else, not from Mexico itself.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
its still dangerous even in those gated areas now though. monterrey was a good place to live and now its dangerous. i used to love tijuana. we'd go down there all the time. not safe now. they found a head dangling from a bridge. some people even got shot in their cars waiting in line to cross back across the border. what a shame. fortunately by the grace of God i can get decent tacos here because of the population of mexicans residing out in the redlands now. i was completely in love with the al pastor street vendor tacos in tijuana.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Ok, off topic for one second, but this is important; the best tacos in the world are in Tijuana, have not tasted anything better.

Where in the heck do they make REAL tacos around here?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ok, off topic for one second, but this is important; the best tacos in the world are in Tijuana, have not tasted anything better.

Where in the heck do they make REAL tacos around here?
La Pasadita - Homestead/Florida City - Homestead | Urbanspoon

I <3 La Pasadita

Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Damn Cixcell! I nearly fell INTO that picture. Nomtastic!! I'm gonna have to try that place out!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Damn Cixcell! I nearly fell INTO that picture. Nomtastic!! I'm gonna have to try that place out!
i make sure to top mine with the condiments id always get in tijuana. the al pastor flavor is fantastic.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM

&#x202a;Mariachi Connecticut Serenades a Beluga Whale&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami