Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM

54 posts, read 118,120 times

Advertisements

Wealthy Brazilians and Mexicans, for whatever reason brought them to Miami and Miami Beach, have saved the real estate market. Miami had a glut of high end condos and with the investment from Brazil and Mexico the condo market would have gone belly up and investors would have lost big time. This is only my opinion, no research to back it up. Only what I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
Wealthy Brazilians and Mexicans, for whatever reason brought them to Miami and Miami Beach, have saved the real estate market. Miami had a glut of high end condos and with the investment from Brazil and Mexico the condo market would have gone belly up and investors would have lost big time. This is only my opinion, no research to back it up. Only what I have seen.

The weak U.S. dollar has brought them.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM

54 posts, read 118,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The weak U.S. dollar has brought them.
In the case of Brazil, I agree it was the weak dollar against a strong real; nevertheless, Mexico was a different story. They came for the culture, vibe, and security Miami had to offer them. Los Angeles and San Diego were played out with the Wealthy Mexicans. Houston and Miami offered them the lifestyle they wanted along with the safety that can only be found in America.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23
The same could be said about LAX, Dallas, Houston, etc. You can fly to Guadalajara, Cancun, Mexico City, Monterrey and numerous Pacific beach resorts and numerous other smaller Mexican cities from those hubs, just like the ones you mentioned in Bolivia and the Caribbean from MIA. And MIA only would have a Mexico City or Cancun flight in most cases...so don't knock the other airports for deficiencies that MIA has as well due to geographic disadvantage. The bottom line is that Miami isn't the sole gateway airport to Latin America anymore. (I never said that I said it is the largest and will always be the largest and no airport is going to compete with MIA for that.) The market has been subdivided part in thanks to shortsightedness at MIA. Think of it more as a legacy gateway that now serves traditional and niche markets into the Caribbean and South America, in addition to cargo hub, in order to stay competitive.

With other major US cities having direct flights to major Latin American cities and other airports specializing in areas where Miami doesn't (Mexico) Mexico is the only Latin American country that could be said MIA has flights to Mérida, Mexico City, Monterrey and Cancun) , MIA has lost an enormous opportunity to truely be the airport of choice for continued growth. It may be no small airport....but if it was developed with more land, in a better fashion, in a better location...it could have grown to serve as a world class airport and hub for the hemishpere and be much larger than what it is today. Now MIA is just where people who WANT to go through Miami for X reason fly through. Very few NEED to use MIA as a connecting airport anymore...and if they have the option to use another airport, whether they're US or Latin American travelers, they have cheaper and just as convenient alternatives to choose from in most cases. ( Again it depends on the airline, but American is the largest US carrier in South America and their largest international hub is MIA, I am also saying that the O/D traffic in MIA is huge which allows airlines like AeroSur or SBA to fly there and allows airlines like LAN to have a focus city there) That has undeniable hurt MIA and the figures for international traverlers using American at MIA have gone down, that is no secret. (Yes, that is why American has only continued to grow at MIA and MIA international passenger numbers continue to rise while many airports continue to drop) ( Remember, MIA put all of it's egs in one basket, "American", a legacy carrier who charges the highest for their fares out of all the airlines that service the airport...and MIA was also at American's mercy when they built the new North Terminal for them, for their specifications, and they cut back operations dramatically after 9-11. And MIA was counting on American for money for the terminal which dried up for the same reason...and left with the bill. But that is another thread I suppose. ( Every airline in the world cut back service nothing anyone could have predicted but all the service lost has been added and then some)

I don't think saying how great MIA is will make it that way and dismissing other airports that are taking a piece of the pie that fuels the engines at MIA isn't going to stop the bleeding either. Fares are up at the airport, landing fees are not what they once were and are not growing anymore, even when they are at other airports that serve Latin America. MIA's growth is more dependant on other airports' growth and sucess more than it is based on anything else.

The bottom line is, for MIA to CONTINUE to grow, it needs to overhaul it's management, finish revamping the entire terminal complex, road network, taxi mafia, landing fees and numerous other issues. There is great potential, but it will require team work, a lack of special interest and community support, which we all know is not Miami's strong points. Also, a realization that MIA isn't the queen bee anymore would help. It's like when you see all these people who rant and rave about American exceptionalism and then present them with the facts that America isn't number one in education, health, crime, etc....it's denial. I think that happens with people who think MIA is up there with the Taj Mahal. They are living in a time warp that hasn't existed for many years.
Of course other airports have service to Latin America the region is a growing economy. But again I will say my point again. Miami is the largest gateway for air passengers and air cargo between the Americas and no other airport in the US has yet to come close to its status as that and IMO will not." Other airlines other then American want to connect passengers then they will have to do it from their hub. The facts show that MIA has only been growing the past few years both domestically and internationally not only in Latin America but Europe also. As for prices I used to have to fly MIA-DCA about once a month. Many airlines to chose from Delta, United and AA out of MIA, US Air, Spirit, Jet Blue out of FLL. Prices were just about the same 90% of the time. And the advantages of MIA location made MIA the go to airport. Its location is fantastic for people who want to travel to MIA. Will it be a mega hub like ATL or DFW no of course not. Also no airport in the US will ever be an international hub connecting large amounts of people from one country to another as US laws make it a pain to do so.

Again I am not saying ATL or LAX does not have flights to Latin America and that these cities are also pretty decent gateways between the two regions all I am saying (WHICH IS HARD FACTS) Is MIA has the most flights, most airlines and most passengers to Latin Amerca making it the premier gateway to the region. This can't really be argued. It is a fact. And MIA as it stands in the air cargo world is a premier world gateway #4 in the US #1 in international frieght. It is a big help to the airport. American Airlines is actually MIA's largest cargo carrier also.

List of airports in the United States by passengers boarded - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Of course other airports have service to Latin America the region is a growing economy. But again I will say my point again. Miami is the largest gateway for air passengers and air cargo between the Americas and no other airport in the US has yet to come close to its status as that and IMO will not." Other airlines other then American want to connect passengers then they will have to do it from their hub. The facts show that MIA has only been growing the past few years both domestically and internationally not only in Latin America but Europe also. As for prices I used to have to fly MIA-DCA about once a month. Many airlines to chose from Delta, United and AA out of MIA, US Air, Spirit, Jet Blue out of FLL. Prices were just about the same 90% of the time. And the advantages of MIA location made MIA the go to airport. Its location is fantastic for people who want to travel to MIA. Will it be a mega hub like ATL or DFW no of course not. Also no airport in the US will ever be an international hub connecting large amounts of people from one country to another as US laws make it a pain to do so.

Again I am not saying ATL or LAX does not have flights to Latin America and that these cities are also pretty decent gateways between the two regions all I am saying (WHICH IS HARD FACTS) Is MIA has the most flights, most airlines and most passengers to Latin Amerca making it the premier gateway to the region. This can't really be argued. It is a fact. And MIA as it stands in the air cargo world is a premier world gateway #4 in the US #1 in international frieght. It is a big help to the airport. American Airlines is actually MIA's largest cargo carrier also.

List of airports in the United States by passengers boarded - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The facts are that travel and flights to Latin America from other US gateway hubs has grown much more than at MIA and FLL has grown moreso domestically than MIA.

Another fact is that FLL is where the cheap airlines fly...and not MIA. Try an expedia search of which is cheaper to DC or anywhere, FLL wins hands down.

MIA may be the largest airport to service Latin America with the most flights, but it could have been much bigger had it played its cards right. Miami is no longer the premier airport of choice with so many other more affordable and convenient options for travelers, unless, once again, you live in Miami or want to pass through MIA for some specific reason. MIA is a hub for a legacy airline...and that is not necessarily something that is as promising when there are many other airlines that can do the same job as American for less and in a more efficient manner.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Chelito is right that Miami is a wealthy outpost for many Latin Americans and it is a center of media for hispanics living in the US. Univision, Telemundo are all based here as well as their horrendous "telenovelas"!. Los Angeles seems to have a pre dominant ethnicity with Mexicans whereas Miami is quite diverse.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
The facts are that travel and flights to Latin America from other US gateway hubs has grown much more than at MIA and FLL has grown moreso domestically than MIA.

Another fact is that FLL is where the cheap airlines fly...and not MIA. Try an expedia search of which is cheaper to DC or anywhere, FLL wins hands down.

MIA may be the largest airport to service Latin America with the most flights, but it could have been much bigger had it played its cards right. Miami is no longer the premier airport of choice with so many other more affordable and convenient options for travelers, unless, once again, you live in Miami or want to pass through MIA for some specific reason. MIA is a hub for a legacy airline...and that is not necessarily something that is as promising when there are many other airlines that can do the same job as American for less and in a more efficient manner.
Delta and United are the only other two airlines in the US that can do what American does. Each have their hub for Latin America IAH for United and Delta for ATL. Both do not have the service the AA hub at MIA has and again both do not have the amount of Latin American Airlines. I agree with you of course there are more choices now days there are more hubs and more destinations in Latin America. But I guess you just do not understand what I am saying. I am saying Miami is still the biggest gateway which makes it the premier gateway. Thats what I am saying.

I see where your coming from about MIA playing its cards right but what could it have done? Besides for improving the airport earlier. It has a legacy carrier as a hub which is a good thing, it is #2 in International passengers and #1 in International cargo. The airport has been on the same grounds since 1928 and around 1970 there would not be much more room to expand.
Yes, FLL has grown more domestically I know that.
Of course other airports have grown more. They barely had any service to Latin America, it is natural that those airports have grown more since they are trying to play catch up with MIA. They will never catch up to MIA but yes they have grown more that is obvious. Just like suburb of Fort Lauderdale has grown more percentage wise then Manhattan.

"you live in Miami or want to pass through MIA for some specific reason."
That is exactly my point. Miami has the highest amount of O/D traffic MUCH MUCH higher then any other US airport this is what really makes it the gateway of the America's. Also if people really did want to avoid MIA so much then American Airlines would not be so sucessfull there. It is obvious that American is doing something right in Miami and with its Latin American/Caribbean hub since they are the largest US carrier in both regions, so this convenient/affordable argument is not making too much sense to me since American carrys the most amount of passenger too and from these regions to the US. So obviously MIA is a pretty convenient and AA is making it convenient and affordable or else people would chose different airlines.

Just did a search MIA/FLL-DCA/IAD
FLL-DCA on Spirit was $178 but we all know Spirit is terrible and even charges for printing boarding passes and carry on baggage so really for a normal trip with a carry on suitcase it is $188 at least.

Jet Blue DCA-FLL $192
US DCA-FLL $192
AA DCA-MIA $194
DL DCA-MIA $194
UA DCA-IAD $194

I been flying this route for 4 years now and I am telling your prices besides for Spirit have always been just about the same between the two airports. And during high travel seasons like Thanksgiving or Winter holidays I have always found AA to have the best prices and of course to the business traveller good times of flights are important and good perks something that AA is able to give.

MIA-LAX
FLL-LAX
Spirit again the cheapest no surprise at $308 but with only one flight to chsoe from and again many more charges they still may be the cheapest option
The next cheapest AA at $368 MIA-LAX with nine daily flights to chose from. AA was even cheaper then Virgin America and Jet Blue from FLL.
Obviously these are just random examples. And yes FLL is the cheaper airport but it all depends of course. Having and airline like Spirit and Allegiant two niche carriers that have ultra low fares. And Spirit fares are a bit deciving due to all their fees. And the days of FLL being the easier airport are long gone also. That airport is an absolute mess hopefully they realize it soon enough and get to helping FLL out and dont take too long like the mistake MIA made. I agree management in MIA is not very good on the county side, AA has done a great job. But that is more of a county wide problem then just MIA as I am sure you know Miami politics not the best in the world thats for sure.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:39 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

Aside from what FlyMIA already said, the level of service is also something that the airport cannot completely control. United used to have a mini-hub at Miami in the 90s and early 2000s with flights to South America....they abandoned it either because American was beating them out or they decided to focus elsewhere. Same goes for the Spanish carrier Iberia, who based a few A319s/A320s down here to serve Central America. Not sure how MIA could've "played its cards better" considering it was mostly just a factor of carriers getting beat by the dominant, established carrier.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Aside from what FlyMIA already said, the level of service is also something that the airport cannot completely control. United used to have a mini-hub at Miami in the 90s and early 2000s with flights to South America....they abandoned it either because American was beating them out or they decided to focus elsewhere. Same goes for the Spanish carrier Iberia, who based a few A319s/A320s down here to serve Central America. Not sure how MIA could've "played its cards better" considering it was mostly just a factor of carriers getting beat by the dominant, established carrier.
That is correct. United was in terrible shape after 9/11 and they pulled the plug on their MIA Latin America hub operation and soon after declared bankruptcy. Iberia pulled the plug on their small hub because of transit visa rules put into place after 9/11. AA has cleaned up house since and has made MIA one of the most sucessful airline hubs in the world.

But watch out I wont be too surprised if Delta tried to give AA some run for their money AT MIA. They are now the airports 2nd largest carrier with flights to a decent amount of places.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Latin Americans who got rich from the financial sector are no smarter than any other speculators. They line up to spend their money in Miami, only to have their investments wiped out in some future crash. Brazilians are famous for failures, just look at their past. Brasilia was built in the middle of nowhere. Brazilians are often late, and rarely take much seriously. Mexico is another have/have not country where money stolen from the economy flees somewhere else. The joke is on all of them , because when the US dollar fails and revolts start, the US investments will have all the value of 1930's Germany or Argentina a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami