Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,181,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Hmm, so many negative Nancy's! Stop already! If you don't like Miami, leave. Some of us like it and enjoy living here. Every day, I am grateful not to wake up in the UK! Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but the grey, dark winters, non-summers and lack of law and order make me never want to live there again. For all its bad press, Miami is a decent place to live. Yes, it's hard to make friends here (as with many foreign places), but it's doable. Taking care of yourself helps, going to the gym is a great place to meet people. Miami is also very diverse, far more so than people give it credit for. I love the diversity, being a Londoner myself. Few places in the US offer this, aside from maybe NYC, Chicago and LA. This is also a great place to learn Spanish.
I agree with some of what you said, but I get the feeling you have not really been to much of the rest of the US, at least not for any length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,096,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
I agree with some of what you said, but I get the feeling you have not really been to much of the rest of the US, at least not for any length of time.
Diddo.

What strikes me as off is that I can't imagine anyone disliking a certain place for allegedly being lawless and then liking Miami for *supposedly* not being that way lol. Many posters have even mentioned how they find it "cool" that they can get away with wild and unruliness in Miami and law enforcement doesn't do much compared with the rest of the country, adding to the exoticness of the city.

I can attest to lots of phony business store fronts for other "activities", clandestine medical offices with unlicenced staff diagnosing medical conditions and treating them, unregulated informal and formal commerce, people that fire guns wildly on New Years Eve in to the air with impunity...and let's not even talk about driving and lawlessness. Suffice it to say, if someone thinks Miami is nice because the law is respected and enforced...I question their perception of reality or how long they have been here, if they are a realtor or investor, or if they ever leave their walled off subdivision.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

95 posts, read 160,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
Before I came here, I lived in New York, Cleveland and Atlanta. I have also spent much time in California.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I like Miami, it's beautiful. The people are, when compared to the rest of the US (especially west coast to the midwest) usually pretty rude. That said, I don't see what in Miami could ever feel European.
Miami feels a lot more European than most parts of the US, with the exception of places like New York and Boston. Miami Beach is basically a nicer version of Benidorm (Spain), minus the drunk-arse Brits, Dutch and Germans puking all over the place and starting fights over football. Cuban culture has strong Spanish roots. Many enlightened Europeans would like it here as it is not like the rest of Florida, which is very southern and not so much of a melting pot.

Yes, it is tough to make friends. I lived in Denmark for a year and it was the same there. As a foreigner, the onus is on YOU to make the effort. Now I have 3 amazing and very intelligent friends here, but I had to put in the effort to make those friends, just as I did in Denmark.

My only criticism of Miami is that I WISH it had a good public transportation system. I'd love to take a train to the beach or just to work. They seem to be expanding the Metro though, which is a good thing. And OMG, the skyline is nuts. I've taken many photos and I'll share them with you all when I get around to uploading them.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Yeah, well England sucks. Thank god the rest of the world is waking up to your broken society now. I guess Miami might be an improvement on grimy projects, Orwellian society and yobs running riot? Me, I wasn't born in a third world country and Miami sucks!

At least one of you Brits had the right idea. I have always thoight that Mr. Collins wrote this song about Miami:

Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise - YouTube

Cheers / cbeerio!
I get the impression you don't travel a lot. The UK has a lot of problems, but there is no need for your hatred. Maybe you should stop watching Faux News too?

You hate the UK so much, yet you name yourself after a British (Scottish) band. Like, weird.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 PM

203 posts, read 427,063 times
of course. eurotrash parade on lincoln every day.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,427,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
i find Miami to be a VERY friendly place..... then again i adore Latin culture (well, ALL culture really) and am actively interested in immersing myself in it. (it was one of my main reasons for moving here.... cause i LOVED living in Mexico and wanted to be around Hispanic culture everyday). I get delighted reactions when speaking Spanish.... pleasant responses filled with terms of affection, lol - from nearly everyone i've encountered in shops, restaurants, service professions, the bakery, gas station, bank, post office, etc. And even though i'm familiar with many Hispanic cultures, still - I've had ALL kinds of new foods here that I never new about before. the differences in the various Latin cultures are fascinating, and i find the people to be warm, giving, affectionate, funny, have great senses of humor... i find them just delightful.....

i agree it's not 'paradise', but for me it's head and shoulders above all the other places i've lived in the USA (about 8 different states). And i notice also, that many people here CANNOT DRIVE. Augh! - driving on 95 is like being in a romper room with oblivious idiots ...

but on the whole i find it to be pleasant, welcoming and friendly in general - for those who embrace the local flavor and style, and don't try to impose some kind of 'english-only-or-i-won't-deal-with-you' attitude. My observation is that you get as good as you give - the people who seem to hate the place, are the same ones with a HUGE attitude about how "this is America and everyone MUST speak english, and adopt OUR ways if they want to live here". That mindset, and that approach to the local population, will only get defiance and pushback from local people -- and yeh, that would make someone miserable in Miami for SURE. but hey, that's on THEM.... it's not Miami 'itself" that's 'unfriendly' -- it's their own approach that garners unfriendly responses, in return to their own attitude.

One of the main reasons i LOVE Miami is cause it's NOT LIKE the rest of america... the vibe feels like you're always on vacation in some exotic South American or Caribbean place.... it delights me. i just love the whole atmosphere...
See to me, this is a North Beach perspective. If JMLacySR had moved to Surfside instead of Lil Haiti, I think his posts would have been just like this. To me, life on the island is a world of difference from life on the mainland.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,427,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
Haha. Mexico, aye? Cix, sometimes I think just a perfunctory examination of this forum's general discourse presents a compelling critique of the Dade County School System.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 AM

810 posts, read 1,572,049 times
Thumbs down Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Haha. Mexico, aye? Cix, sometimes I think just a perfunctory examination of this forum's general discourse presents a compelling critique of the Dade County School System.
Most posters in this forum didn't attend Miami dade county schools.

Cixl Didn't
Eduardo didn't
Jmlacysr didn't
You didn't
Reptoid didnt
Boxus didn't
Winterfront didn't
Coconut didn't
Gatormama= threewolves didn't
Manolon didn't
Rocknewman didn't
Sean Dublin didn't
Marina didn't
Pear martini didn't
The Romanian girl didn't
Glasvegas didn't
Kicknectick-a didn't
Japer didn't

Last edited by Hialeah_Rules; 08-17-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,252,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Most posters in this forum didn't attend Miami dade county schools.

Cixl Didn't
Eduardo didn't
Jmlacysr didn't
You didn't
Reptoid didnt
Boxus didn't
Winterfront didn't
Coconut didn't
Gatormama= threewolves didn't
Manolon didn't
Rocknewman didn't
Sean Dublin didn't
Marina didn't
Pear martini didn't
The Romanian girl didn't
Glasvegas didn't
Kicknectick-a didn't
Japer didn't

lol 'The Romanian girl'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami