Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Sorry, no desire to. I like this little corner of the US too much. This is your Montreal; embrace it
Well being your here you should get out a bit regardless. Its like going to the UK and all you see is Brighton. There are other cities in the US Europeans like and feel comfortable in because of their more European character (like mine )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
San Francisco has its own character, but does not feeel European at all.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Well being your here you should get out a bit regardless. Its like going to the UK and all you see is Brighton. There are other cities in the US Europeans like and feel comfortable in because of their more European character (like mine )
I think you should give a person credit for knowing where they would like to live. After all, I know I would not want to live anywhere else in the US other than Miami. Even though I've never been to a great many places in the US, I know enough to know that Miami's climate can't be found anywhere else! I have not been to Europe, nor have I been to Fortaleza Brazil, or Paramaribo, but I know for a fact that I would be damn happier there, than I would be in Germany. In fact, Germany for me would be like hell. I would go absolutely bonkers in the climate there!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I think you should give a person credit for knowing where they would like to live. After all, I know I would not want to live anywhere else in the US other than Miami. Even though I've never been to a great many places in the US, I know enough to know that Miami's climate can't be found anywhere else! I have not been to Europe, nor have I been to Fortaleza Brazil, or Paramaribo, but I know for a fact that I would be damn happier there, than I would be in Germany. In fact, Germany for me would be like hell. I would go absolutely bonkers in the climate there!
Good points. It's jsut that the OP came off sounding very condescending, so that's why she got so many people questioning her. But you are right, one knows their own heart.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Reptoid

The only real European cities in the US are New York, Boston and Philadelfia. Not because of their inhabitants, but because their layout and physical surroundings are similar to European cities. European tourists love New York because they can WALK and SHOP without resorting to cars.

For that matter, any American city that has preserved their downtown as a livable area in which people can walk and shop, with adequate public transportation and no hoods follows the European model.

In other words, the way American cities were before the suburban revolution and Civil Rights.

For that matter, MB is the only "European city" in Florida.

The only livable parts (weather wise) in Western Europe are Italy, Southern France and Spain.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Boxus, I really like it here actually. Miami has all I need (and more). Living here can be hard and many people are abrasive, but when you do make friends here, they're friends for life (much like my experience living in Sweden). This city has all I need and so much more. If I'm feeling down, I can go to the beach 24/7/365. I am constantly in awe of the skyline and I love the fact that I can enjoy the Latin influence and practice Spanish without having to travel far.
Why in the heck was my name mentioned?

Spain is closer to the UK than Miami.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
San Francisco has its own character, but does not feeel European at all.
And Miami with its heavy Cuban/Haitian/Caribbean vibe does? San Francisco (or Boston, New Orleans or even parts of DC) as more of a "European" feel than Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Reptoid

The only real European cities in the US are New York, Boston and Philadelfia. Not because of their inhabitants, but because their layout and physical surroundings are similar to European cities. European tourists love New York because they can WALK and SHOP without resorting to cars.

For that matter, any American city that has preserved their downtown as a livable area in which people can walk and shop, with adequate public transportation and no hoods follows the European model.

In other words, the way American cities were before the suburban revolution and Civil Rights.

For that matter, MB is the only "European city" in Florida.

The only livable parts (weather wise) in Western Europe are Italy, Southern France and Spain.
You just contradicted your reply to me with this post. Every point you listed for those cities applies to San Francisco. Plus California has that Mediterranean climate you like. In fact, its arguably better than the countries you listed.

Quote:
I didn't say anything about "live". A person is doing themselves a disservice if they're in the US and hole up in one city in one tiny corner of it and says "Done!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
It's jsut that the OP came off sounding very condescending, so that's why she got so many people questioning her.
Bingo.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
"Plus California has that Mediterranean climate you like. In fact, its arguably better than the countries you listed."

It is cold along the coast, even in the summer, and the ocean is always cold; the Med is only cold in the winter.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"Plus California has that Mediterranean climate you like. In fact, its arguably better than the countries you listed."

It is cold along the coast, even in the summer, and the ocean is always cold; the Med is only cold in the winter.

----

The water is freezing during summers too..when the water starts to warm a little, spring comes comes and forget about it.

San Francisco is not Med, not walkable, water is freezing.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

203 posts, read 428,291 times
San Francisco got rated as one of the most walkable cities in the USA. Get your facts straight. I hold a rosary crossing the streets in Miami and dread the fact that I have to drive everywhere.

San Francisco is considered the "Paris of the US". As far as I know, Paris is located in Europe.

This place continues to amaze me of its stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami