Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
We went to a fair in Cauley Square a few months ago and it's just so sad. It's a shell of what it once was. I was hoping it would've come further along since it's never been the same after Andrew but no. They seem to be trying but it still feels like they're trying not to die. It used to be so alive and bustling with people.
whats wrong with it? seems nice to me. the bird place moved away and then moved back in. i love top hat aquarium in there too. thats like the cutest little aquarium store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
I like the tons of raccoons.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
I looove the raccoons too! They will pee on you though so keep a lookout when walking under the big trees. There's nothing wrong with Cauley Square. I just remember what it was and it's sad seeing how it is now. Ask at the bird place if there are any original employees how it used to be. I know Cauley Square has changed hands and so has the tea room. The place is a diamond in the rough. It would be great if it could be revitalized somehow. I remember the Christmas in July fair, you could barely walk with all the people. So much fun.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I looove the raccoons too! They will pee on you though so keep a lookout when walking under the big trees. There's nothing wrong with Cauley Square. I just remember what it was and it's sad seeing how it is now. Ask at the bird place if there are any original employees how it used to be. I know Cauley Square has changed hands and so has the tea room. The place is a diamond in the rough. It would be great if it could be revitalized somehow. I remember the Christmas in July fair, you could barely walk with all the people. So much fun.
so whats missing other than crowds of people. you dont see crowds of people anywhere in south dade typically. the only place you get a large gathering of people anymore is the asian culture festival at the fruit and spice park but thats because lots of people come down from broward.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 PM

The crowds aren't there because the shops and art galleries aren't there anymore.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,069 times
Yeah I'm totally lost. I figured it was a ways away from MDC medical campus which I assume is central Miami??? I figured if I took the highway it wouldn't be a bad drive, but I've been hearing horror stories about the traffic, so I'm going to take a trip down there next month and look at the surrounding areas. I was trying to save some pennies, but it seems as though I'll have to poney up those $1200 a mo for a decent place.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
The crowds aren't there because the shops and art galleries aren't there anymore.
what shops and art galleries are missing? i dont really see where they could have a whole lot more in there than is already there. details please.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdperry View Post
Yeah I'm totally lost. I figured it was a ways away from MDC medical campus which I assume is central Miami??? I figured if I took the highway it wouldn't be a bad drive, but I've been hearing horror stories about the traffic, so I'm going to take a trip down there next month and look at the surrounding areas. I was trying to save some pennies, but it seems as though I'll have to poney up those $1200 a mo for a decent place.
for a 2/2 yes. I would look for something closer like Coral Gables or Dadeland, even some areas around Flagler are not that bad (West of the Palmetto Exwy) but with price goes maintenance. Nicer buildings tend to charge more.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
what shops and art galleries are missing? i dont really see where they could have a whole lot more in there than is already there. details please.
There were different shops back then. Hurricane Andrew wiped the place out and most didn't come back and the place has never fully recovered. They're trying but it's not what it was unfortunately. It's a beautiful location. The vegetation is amazing, but you need the quality shop/galleries to attract people consistently and in quantity. I'm surprised that the shops that are there are surviving. We went during an event and it was slow. I can't imagine it would be busier during regular, non-event days.

Here's an article I found from '02. I can't find anything pre-Andrew online. This article mentions Capen gallery but I don't think they're there anymore either.

Goodness Goulds - Page 1 - Calendar - Miami - Miami New Times

I wanted to check out their website that google points me to but I get a malware warning? and www.cauleysquare.com no longer works for me. I'd like to go back during the week when it gets cooler and see how it is again. Maybe we went on an off weekend. The new agey/psychic stuff just wasn't doing it for me though.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM

if theres no record of it online. it never existed.
people need to put their photos online even if it means taking a snapshot of a hardcopy photo with a digital camera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami