Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times

Advertisements

Any international city (or metro) is going to be culturally shocking to anyone from Idaho. It's not like he is going to Lincoln, Nebraska; Reno, Nevada; or Wichita, Kansas. Miami, just like LA, SF, BOSWASH, and Chicago, might be a little too much for a hommie like DDHAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
All that said, I just LOVE the Chongalicious girls!!!!
Yeah, well I agree, the Chonga Girls rock, but that's why MIA is a good fit for us. Not sure the Boise family will feel quite so warm and fuzzy about the Chongas like we do.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You might want to stick with Tampa as housing costs would be cheaper, however schools are analogous to Dade.
That will make one heck of a commute, 250 miles each way..

Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
The Chonga urban culture has been dead for years now. Most of the scene girls are now in their 30's or late 20's.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
All that said, I just LOVE the Chongalicious girls!!!!
OBTW, if you like the Chongas, you'll love this:

Passion Prohibida Episode 1 - YouTube

Old 08-21-2011, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,602 times
I just want ot thank everyone for your input and let everyone knoe that we have lived in Florida before. I lived in Lantana outside Lake Worth as a teen and we lived in Orlando just a few years ago. I also lived in LA for a bit too so culturally speaking it may not be that much of a shock to my system.
I do appreciate all that have replied.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
born and raised in LA here.
radically different from LA. LA is like a police state. miami is lawless.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahl View Post
I just want ot thank everyone for your input and let everyone knoe that we have lived in Florida before. I lived in Lantana outside Lake Worth as a teen and we lived in Orlando just a few years ago. I also lived in LA for a bit too so culturally speaking it may not be that much of a shock to my system.
I do appreciate all that have replied.
Lantana and Orlando in no way, shape, or form resemble Miami.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Lantana and Orlando in no way, shape, or form resemble Miami.
haha. true.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Mark my words: No matter what kind of illusions you're under, you need to know that schools in the US are just glorified prisons for kids
I first heard this suggestion on the movie "Hocus Pocus". That was the movie about resurrected Salem witches come back and in this movie the witches eat children. As they go by a school, the ponder what it is and the head witch say "Ah, I know! It is a prison for children!"

I thought truer words have never been said. Isn't this just one of life's dirtiest little secrets? All these schools are is cheap warehouses where we confine our children while we go off to our labor camps? We send 'em off and bury our heads in the sand.

We don't want to know about:
Bullying
Taunting
Physical violence.

Stuff that our kids have to tolerate on a day to day basis are things that are never tolerated in our workplaces. Some schools don't even have adequate AC or heat. We force our kids to be subjugated to the company of people that will become the drunks, wife beaters, creeps thugs even murderer of the worlds. People who will be filtered out of society before they ever reach the institutions where we spend our days.

Of course the reason I'm dwelling on this is because my son starts his first day at a new junior high school tomorrow. He has to go through the whole rigamarole of making new relationships even just basic enough so that he can find a seat to eat his lunch in the cafeteria without harassment. One would think such a fundamental human right would be a given, but not in our fine institutions of education. Hell, even in McDonald's you are pretty well guaranteed a safe place to eat free of harassment. If someone acts like a jerk, the manager just kicks 'im out or calls the cops where he would be arrested and possibly jailed. In school, hell, you could beat the hell out of someone else and won't even get expelled. Before entering our scholastic prisons, our kids have their human rights entirely waived. They go from a household where they are loved, respected and cherished to an asylum where they are less secure than they are a Mickey D's. I wonder why we allow this to occur.

I know home schooling leaves gaps in a child's ability to learn to survive is this animal kingdom of a world we have, but I wonder if a person is not better off skipping those hard lessons in exchange for not needing to unlearn lessons of trauma administered by the seedy underworld as jaded and overextended school teachers and officials look the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami