Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Incorrect, the latest models indicate the storm striking SOFLA as a Cat1. However, we need to remember to take intensity forecasts with a grain of salt. Hurricane Wilma (2005) went from a Cat1. to a monstrous Cat5. in only 24-hours. And this Irene is posied to go over some very, very warm waters the closer it gets to Florida.

AWESOME! I hope it hits us here in SOFLA as a Cat2 or Cat3. I am ready for it. I got all my supplies and all I have to do is batten down the hatches and I'm good to go.
We are ready also. We bought impact glass (front/back) and accordian shutters and we have a generator. All we have to do is get some water, bring in the outdoor stuff and we are set. With 5 people in the family, including teen boys it should be pretty easy for us to outlast the storm.

Still-I do not want the storm to come here. The destruction after Wilma was pretty bad and I don't wish that on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Here is my experience: storms that have a track near the spine the Greater Antilles, Puerto Rico Hispaniola and Cuba, usually don't become major storms that threaten us. They quite frequently break up altogether and never make it here. Our bad ones skirt these islands....

Even though the models (right now) are showing the storm will be near SoFla at the end of the week, the question is, in what form? Personally, there is still way too much up in the air for me to worry about it or consider it a threat. Once it passes SE Cuba and Hispaniola, if it still exists and the models still have it headed our way, it is action time.

Regardless, most people should have their basic supplies on hand already, and there shouldn't be that much else to do, since you aren't supposed to shutter your windows earlier than 2 days out (fire hazard).

To me it looks like this storm won't survive the mountains but if it does, it seems like a trough will pick it up and turn it north. Only time will tell though. Better to be prepared than caught off guard!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
I wonder how large those mountains USED to be prior to all the repeated pummeling by hurricanes.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Incorrect, the latest models indicate the storm striking SOFLA as a Cat1. However, we need to remember to take intensity forecasts with a grain of salt. Hurricane Wilma (2005) went from a Cat1. to a monstrous Cat5. in only 24-hours. And this Irene is posied to go over some very, very warm waters the closer it gets to Florida.

AWESOME! I hope it hits us here in SOFLA as a Cat2 or Cat3. I am ready for it. I got all my supplies and all I have to do is batten down the hatches and I'm good to go.
Why in the world would you WANT to be in a cat2 or 3 hurricane?? You must not be from around here....

Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I wonder how large those mountains USED to be prior to all the repeated pummeling by hurricanes.
What do you mean? Anyway these mountaints have been hit by hurricanes for thousands of years.

Looks like its gonna be close but if it drifts just a bit south the storm wont be very storm at all if even a storm, a bit more north if could be a Cat2/3. But right not forecast is for a Cat-1 in the area. It will travel over warm water but much of the storm is also going to be over some land. I dont expect anything more then a low cat-2 if that. But still way to early. There is a decent chance it goes south and the Mountaints of Cuba/Hispanola will not let there be much development at all.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Why in the world would you WANT to be in a cat2 or 3 hurricane?? You must not be from around here....
adrenaline hunter? Ask a local who lived here during Hurricane Andrew or Katrina (yes even when it was Cat 1 it tore down Miami) they surely dont want any hurricane at all. Its prob a new resident after 2005

Old 08-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Who knows Cix, there must be massive erosion on those mountains, acceletated by deforesation and hurricanes and the normal rainy seasons. But it isn't like hurricanes just started one day...I think those mountians grew up with hurricanes. The question would be, how big would they be if they weren't in a hurricane zone???

Ironically, they have saved the US and especially SoFla many a time from hurricane events.

I love the hurricane watching and anticipation and guessing. I know it's overkill or nerve racking for some though.

I am going with a theory that Irene will be weakened by Hispaniola and curve North thru the Bahamas as a weak storm. What does everyone speculate as well?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
adrenaline hunter? Ask a local who lived here during Hurricane Andrew or Katrina (yes even when it was Cat 1 it tore down Miami) they surely dont want any hurricane at all. Its prob a new resident after 2005
I think we should cut this person some slack. A lot of people are weather junkies and are amazed at mother nature's fury. The caveat was a Cat 1 or 2, not a 5!!! In other words, no one is wishing the destruction of Miami here.

I don't think a hurricane is a bad thing in of itself. They are essential to scouring out and cleaning Florida and Biscyane Bays, the hammock ecosystem in the Glades...they are a naturally ocurring phenomenom and not all of them are going to be another Andrew...and a Cat 1 or Cat 2 aren't going to compromise our local infrastructure or safety assuming people follow standard advis eand don't put their lives at risk.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think we should cut this person some slack. A lot of people are weather junkies and are amazed at mother nature's fury. The caveat was a Cat 1 or 2, not a 5!!! In other words, no one is wishing the destruction of Miami here.

I don't think a hurricane is a bad thing in of itself. They are essential to scouring out and cleaning Florida and Biscyane Bays, the hammock ecosystem in the Glades...they are a naturally ocurring phenomenom and not all of them are going to be another Andrew...and a Cat 1 or Cat 2 aren't going to compromise our local infrastructure or safety assuming people follow standard advis eand don't put their lives at risk.
Well I was sort of a weather junky when I was younger and have been through a few hurricanes. The worst storm I wasn't worried for my safety because I was in a sturdy apt. building. I sat on the deck(wind was hitting the back of the building) drinking margaritas watching all the s*** fly by. What sucked was the two weeks of not having power or water.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM

221 posts, read 453,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I love hurricanes, they're fun, I get adrenaline rushes out of preparing for the storm. Plus, it might destroy all the ****ty people in this town once and for all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami