U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: north beach
309 posts, read 315,335 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

NO PEOPLE, or PERSON, can be 'defined' as trash

or garbage.

That kind of thinking/writing tells me more about the low character of the person saying/writing it, than about the person(s) they are describing

 
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Miami/NYC
1,032 posts, read 920,726 times
Reputation: 399
While i embrace immigrants coming to this country, it wouldnt hurt at all, to at least make some sort of effort to communicate with rest of Miami folks. I speak spanish (not the best). but im not of any hispanic background. Im from Jamaica, but i learned spanish to learn how to speak with other spanish folks. While most hispanic folks do understand what i say, others just get ticked off because im not part of their culture. Yeah i speak your language, but assimilating into their culture is a whole different ball game. Hispanics arent the only ones immigrating to Miami, other countries as well, and from other states around the country. It just happens to be that majority are Hispanics. I know they have the freedom to speak whatever language they like, but to flat out refuse to learn anything that wud make u interact outsides ones culture that i cant comprehend. I embrace diversity and i will learn ur language and culture, but it would be nice if the other had an open mind and embrace diversity as well.
 
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM
 
153 posts, read 150,816 times
Reputation: 58
I just came in the city as an international student from Europe and quite frankly I love it here. I love the diverse cultures, I only understand spanish and don't speak it but I might take some classes to learn since I love the language. Diversity and freedom is what makes America what it is, not just Miami. Nobody likes Tea Party people, every time I ran into hispanic they are nice, they start talking spanish and I say that I don't speak spanish and then they switch to english. If you are so frustrated that a spanish man is working at the Deli at Publix, then why don't you take that job? Oh wait, that's right, that's because Americans don't like those jobs and let immigrants to take them for less pennies an hour... but wait! You ARE spanish, which makes your thread even more disgusting.
 
Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
613 posts, read 350,721 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityseed View Post
Piza, I'm hispanic and completely agree. Its not hate...its bewilderment that recently arrived immigrants think they don't need to assimilate and embrace american culture just because there really isn't a need to (being that you can get along just fine in Miami speaking only Spanish). I come accross way too many people that don't really care to be American (and will tell you as-a-matter-of-factly that they refuse to speak English) or pledge allegiance to the stars and stripes. If you want to enjoy the fruits of the greatest country on earth, at least learn the language.
Cityseed, People, have been making the same claims about immigrants in every nation around the world since the beginning of time, but these observations are not entirely accurate as they do not tell the entire story.

For many people there is little difference between friendly immigrants and hostile invaders, so fear and easiness drive many people to just assume anything that is different is bad, is something that they will not like, or they might loose a hand. The risk of getting close to an immigrant is not worth the reward for them, they might loose a hand and the exploitation of this behavior is what makes Bud Light so successful.

A substantial portion of "the natives", because they do not want to risk loosing a hand, prevent immigrants from assimilating, so they are forced to develop their own communities. If you think being able to speak English is so vital, maybe you should convince them of this or help them learn it.

Which variation of American culture should these immigrants be embracing? Should they act like NewYorkers, Hippies from Portland Oregon, or maybe farmers from Iowa, or perhaps like a Southerner from South Carolina? Former Autoworkers from Detroit?

For me, Miami-Dade and Broward (and even Palm Beach) are so cool because their populations heavily consist of people from around the USA and the world. I don't care if somebody refuses to speak English or wants to embrace fifteenth century ninja culture.
 
Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
 
2,217 posts, read 2,309,129 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Cityseed, People, have been making the same claims about immigrants in every nation around the world since the beginning of time, but these observations are not entirely accurate as they do not tell the entire story.

For many people there is little difference between friendly immigrants and hostile invaders, so fear and easiness drive many people to just assume anything that is different is bad, is something that they will not like, or they might loose a hand. The risk of getting close to an immigrant is not worth the reward for them, they might loose a hand and the exploitation of this behavior is what makes Bud Light so successful.

A substantial portion of "the natives", because they do not want to risk loosing a hand, prevent immigrants from assimilating, so they are forced to develop their own communities. If you think being able to speak English is so vital, maybe you should convince them of this or help them learn it.

Which variation of American culture should these immigrants be embracing? Should they act like NewYorkers, Hippies from Portland Oregon, or maybe farmers from Iowa, or perhaps like a Southerner from South Carolina? Former Autoworkers from Detroit?

For me, Miami-Dade and Broward (and even Palm Beach) are so cool because their populations heavily consist of people from around the USA and the world. I don't care if somebody refuses to speak English or wants to embrace fifteenth century ninja culture.
its about tolerance and very little of it exists here.
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,131 posts, read 4,042,060 times
Reputation: 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Latin people existed in Miami before the Mariel boat lift. If someone's recollection of Miami is from a 5 year period in the 70s and then lived here the folowing 30 years, they shouldn't have to ask "what happened" to Miami. This subject has been written about in books, essays, documentaries, tv shows and been beaten to death on this forum.
Yes i know that, but what i'm saying is during those times (60's and 70's) Hispanics weren't as huge as they are now in Miami.
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,616,096 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Yes i know that, but what i'm saying is during those times (60's and 70's) Hispanics weren't as huge as they are now in Miami.
----

Hispanics is a new buzzword, back there there were only "Cuibains" and they were all around "like horse s.hi.t".

By 1970, more affluent Cubans had already left the "sagüesera" and were present in Coral Gables, beyond Bird Road, "Güenchester" and many more areas. Many were already perfectly assimilated and moved to more American areas.

There were tensions between Cubans and Americans, but not very important. The Americans used to say all the time "it could be worse". "Se mastican pero no se tragan" (I don't know how to translate it).

But yes, it was a city with a nice balance. In the most famous Cuban restaurant at that time, La Esquina de Tejas, a large part of the clientele were Americans and the menu was typed in Spanish and English, Reagan ate there.

Last edited by Manolón; 08-31-2011 at 02:02 PM..
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,131 posts, read 4,042,060 times
Reputation: 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Hispanics is a new buzzword, back there there were only "Cuibains" and they were all around "like horse s.hi.t".

By 1970, more affluent Cubans had already left the "sagüesera" and were present in Coral Gables, beyond Bird Road, "Güenchester" and many more areas. Many were already perfectly assimilated and moved to more American areas.

But yes, it was a city with a nice balance.
LOL @ Saguesera .
 
Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,616,096 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuaname View Post
Perfect example of that? I went to school at St. Brendant on SW 87 ave in the early/mid 80s....Back then the Fountainbleu area was awsome, it was very nice...
  • Flagler was one lane each way in front of Fountainbleau. I remember just around that time, they were adding more lanes. So I guess that was kind of far from things, lol...
  • F.Bleau, was "nice". Friends' parents lived there, it was nowhere to be ashamed of living, it was very clean, etc.
  • F.Bleau was, I guess like some of the gated developments in Doral nowadays.
Fast forward 10+ years and it became garbage, but the garbage moving in was the Central and South Americans. You could just tell, plus the "gates" on the windows, the type of restaurants...F.Bleau just go run down and even the "nicer" properties, ie Milton, I think, is really a POS, lol..
---

I remember when Flagler was one way in front of Fountainebleu, and when they were building and later promoting the place. Yes, it was a very nice area, quite expensive to rent. Flagler St. was a somewhat decaying place, quite deserted from the 70th Ave or so, but not dangerous or ghetto. More like an old part of the city. I remember there was a magnificent Spanish library and a Spanish bookstore, La Moderna Poesia in the 20's, nice restaurants like Palma de Mallorca. It was a place where you could walk with no crime or derelicts.

There were American owned businesses, I remember that the supermarket around the 20's, Zagamis, was the property of a Greek American family, etc.

Last edited by Manolón; 08-31-2011 at 01:57 PM..
 
Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM
 
101 posts, read 103,663 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuaname View Post
Perfect example of that? I went to school at St. Brendant on SW 87 ave in the early/mid 80s....Back then the Fountainbleu area was awsome, it was very nice...
  • Flagler was one lane each way in front of Fountainbleau. I remember just around that time, they were adding more lanes. So I guess that was kind of far from things, lol...
  • F.Bleau, was "nice". Friends' parents lived there, it was nowhere to be ashamed of living, it was very clean, etc.
  • F.Bleau was, I guess like some of the gated developments in Doral nowadays.
Fast forward 10+ years and it became garbage, but the SOME OF the garbage moving in was the Central and South Americans, Cubans, you name it. You could just tell, plus the "gates" on the windows, the type of restaurants...F.Bleau just go run down and even the "nicer" properties, ie Milton, I think, is really a POS, lol..

I couldn't edit my original post , so had to quote and correct; sorry I dind't profread, didn't send the right message and I apologize if I offended any one; the problem seems in general, covering a wide umbrella of latins / hispanics / cubans / mexicans / latin americans; you name it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top