Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:45 PM

108 posts, read 230,687 times

Advertisements

Preface: I'm hispanic and have lived in S Florida 30+ years; so not hating...

I grew up and lived in Coral Gables, so maybe I "never" really was in Miami, who knows.. but now it seems like there are refs everywhere I go. I am very fluent in both languages , so that's not the issue, and I probably speak 40% of the time Spanish.....but it seems every you go, and I'll focus in the specific areas I have been to: SW 8 st, west of 62 ave as far west to 147 ave.

Some of examples of what has made me laugh and made me hate these idiots comeing here...
At the gym, I always use the headphones, so never hear much. I left the ipod the other day and I hear this group of 4-5 guys speaking Spanish in such a chusma way, lol, like if they came off a boat or a plane yesterday. They definitely were not business men, bankers, etc..
Go take a class at FIU, and 60% of the class hispanic and some struggle with English, wtf...
Instructor? He can get by, but certainly is a ref with an accent, Peru or some other Central American Country.
Go buy meat at the Deli at Publix? Spanish

I thought this had been over when El Mariel and los balseros years later was over, but it seems not. How the heck do they get here and able to stay?

Oh, and back at "home" everyone was a "doctor, "accountant", "engineer", "dentist"... WTF?? LOL

I have been entertaining moving to dade, probably end up in Miami Lakes due to logistics of work vs home, so have been doing a lot of day to day things in Miami... I am so tempted to stay in Weston; hispanics yes, but people have a higher caliber of education and speech, weather English or Spanish.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I don't understand...if you have lived in SoFla for +30 years, why are you surprised by any of this? Miami didn't just recently become this way. It has been this way for OVER 30 years.

Honestly, I think you will dislike living in Dade County based on the vibe I get from your post. Stay in Weston.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Many of those FOB's are claimed by their families living in the US. The rest have been here for 10-20 years and have failed to assimilate.

Yes, depending which part of Miami you'll see more Hispanics than other areas where you'll see more Non-Hispanics.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I don't understand...if you have lived in SoFla for +30 years, why are you surprised by any of this? Miami didn't just recently become this way. It has been this way for OVER 30 years.

Honestly, I think you will dislike living in Dade County based on the vibe I get from your post. Stay in Weston.
I don't think so.

Miami wasn't like this 30 years ago. It got like this after the Mariel Boatlift, but before? There were more Non-Hispanics than Hispanics.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:27 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Too many Cubans and Caribbeans.. the loud people. South Americans barely talk and they are the ones who were professionals back in their homeland. Most of them, but not all, were probably from upper or upper middle class. They went bankruptcy or just moved their business here, still having the money and foreign acceptance to come here legally by plane and get a house in Key Byscayne or Kendall. You are Caribbean, Central American or something like that, you won't know about that (I assume). My family, back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's were upper class even for American standards. They first relocated their business to Oregon, but that didn't go well...they moved other business here in the late 90's. It's more of a humble but decent life. Still not poor at all, not even close... far from being considered a chusma.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM

140 posts, read 269,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuaname View Post
Preface: I'm hispanic and have lived in S Florida 30+ years; so not hating...
You certainly sound like a hater. And it's interesting that you think being Hispanic somehow exonerates you...

Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
I don't think so.

Miami wasn't like this 30 years ago. It got like this after the Mariel Boatlift, but before? There were more Non-Hispanics than Hispanics.
Contrary to popular belief, Latin people existed in Miami before the Mariel boat lift. If someone's recollection of Miami is from a 5 year period in the 70s and then lived here the folowing 30 years, they shouldn't have to ask "what happened" to Miami. This subject has been written about in books, essays, documentaries, tv shows and been beaten to death on this forum.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
OK so let's Americanize Miami like the rest of Florida by, first, changing the name of the state itself.
And as for "South Americans barely talking" you and I must not be hanging around the same South Americans.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Yeah it seems so.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Too many Cubans and Caribbeans.. the loud people. South Americans barely talk and they are the ones who were professionals back in their homeland. Most of them, but not all, were probably from upper or upper middle class. They went bankruptcy or just moved their business here, still having the money and foreign acceptance to come here legally by plane and get a house in Key Byscayne or Kendall. You are Caribbean, Central American or something like that, you won't know about that (I assume). My family, back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's were upper class even for American standards. They first relocated their business to Oregon, but that didn't go well...they moved other business here in the late 90's. It's more of a humble but decent life. Still not poor at all, not even close... far from being considered a chusma.
Where did your parents have their business in OR? Even OR has Cubans. We lived there for a few years in the 80's and I remember ONE Spanish grocery - Becerra's. My sil would buy some things there. She's Cuban born but raised in Jamaica. She now works for a Spanish TV station in Portland and is involved in tons of Spanish events. Most are Mexican but you do find a little of everything else now in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami