Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,258 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm doing better in math, thank you very much. It takes repetition...and doing problems until I completely understand them. So yeah. How long ago did I post that thread? Like 3 months ago? Give me some credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,505 times
That's great! Try to get professor recommendations when you select your math classes. A good teacher can make a world of difference.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Actually, I'm doing better in math, thank you very much. It takes repetition...and doing problems until I completely understand them. So yeah. How long ago did I post that thread? Like 3 months ago? Give me some credit.
Kicknetic, look, I'm not known in this forum for sugar coating stuff. I reread that thread before posting my message. You said you didn't want to fail that class again. I'm really trying to help you. If you don't want to hear it, well that's your choice.

I can give you all the credit you want but I'm not gonna give you bad advice. You still haven't answered why you want this major. Are you familiar with programming, logic and algorithms?

I'm not saying you should quit college but you should really reconsidered your major. Many majors don't include advanced math and have more job security and better pay. We all have strengths and limitations. That's life.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'm confused. why you want to study computer science?

I don't want to sound rude, and maybe I'm wrong but didn't you say on another thread you were having problems passing prealgrebra?

I'm no school counselor or genius but I wouldn't recommend a career in computer science to someone who has problems with math. We are all born with talents. Our brains all work differently. Some people are good with math, others with mechanics, others with words, others at following directions, etc.

Have you considered the medical field or maybe teaching?

I think one needs to be realistic. For example I'm terrible with words. I'll starve to death if I studied technicall writer or if I were to become a politician, but for example crazy Manolon knows how to express himself.
lol. oh please. you dont need math for computers i assure you. maybe some for programming and even more if youre developing 3D graphics but the vast majority of computer jobs dont require math. i have a math learning disability and its never hindered me.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
lol. oh please. you dont need math for computers i assure you. maybe some for programming and even more if youre developing 3D graphics but the vast majority of computer jobs dont require math. i have a math learning disability and its never hindered me.
computers? Cixell no offense but I think I'm more familiar with this subject than you are.

We are talking about about computer science, not "computers" Maybe kicknetic wants to study computers and not computer science. I said that before, maybe he is using the wrong terminology. I still want to know what exactly he wants to with a computer science major.

These are thePrerequisites courses you need for a computer science major in FIU:

Computer Programming I
Calculus I
Calculus II

And some of the core courses:

Logic for Computer Science
Discrete Mathematics
Intro to Theory of Algorithms
Computer Programming II & III

Source:
School of Computing and Information Sciences @ FIU

Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,186 times
your best bet is just diving in and tinkering around and learning the material on your own. theyll hire someone who can code well over someone with a degree in it. going to school for computers isnt the best way to get into it fortunately and unfortunately. the vast majority of people on the west coast in computers dont have degrees because they became skilled in it before they even offered courses in most of the material. i was teaching web design courses in the late 90s for 80 bucks a head before they even discussed having those classes in colleges. colleges didnt teach much more than word processing and typing back then. tinkering around on your system is the best way to learn. setup a system you can virtualize servers on, learn linux. pick up every piece of software you can off torrents and learn them. if you sound like you know what youre talking about theyll hire you. its pretty easy to spot someone without a clue if the hiring manager is technical.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM

We sound a bit hostile Princess. Anyways, I want to get into software engineering. That's one of my goals. I also want to learn how to code better. I can run simple programs, but nothing complex yet. Most of that was self-taught, so I'm not well-versed in it yet, I'm just trying to go about it in a more legit way. I also agree with cixell, but some professions value a piece of paper more than they do the actual applicant's experience, which I find sad.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
We sound a bit hostile Princess.
yeah what's else is new.

Quote:
Anyways, I want to get into software engineering. That's one of my goals. I also want to learn how to code better. I can run simple programs, but nothing complex yet. Most of that was self-taught, so I'm not well-versed in it yet, I'm just trying to go about it in a more legit way. I also agree with cixell, but some professions value a piece of paper more than they do the actual applicant's experience, which I find sad.
Maybe you should consider an IT major and skip all that math. I'm just saying...

http://www.cis.fiu.edu/programs/undergrad/it.php

Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM

I'll look into it, but I have to deal with the current mess I'm in now.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'll look into it, but I have to deal with the current mess I'm in now.
Well,

You said you wanted to sublease. In Florida, the landlord has the right to disallow his tenant to sublet. Even if the landlord allows subletting, the main tenant still has to obtain his permission first. You can not just rent it like if it is your own. If your tenant doesn't pay you, not only you will end up with bad credit but you will be breaking the law. How can you sublease the property when you cannot even get a hold of your landlord?

I'm assuming since you are so desperate to sublease you must have a written contract. How many more months do you have in your lease?

The first step is to get in contact with your landlord. Get an address and go in person if she is not answering the phone. If she is out of state then you gonna have to call every day 2 or 3 times until the receptionist has no other choice than to get you through the landlord. Try to negotiate ending the lease early.

If that doesnt work......

Can you ask a family member for a loan until you get your finances in order? How much is the difference? $300 a month? Get some student loans for the love of God. IF that's still not possible then consider getting a girlfriend or roommate who you can share your expenses. Of course notify your unreachable landlord.

Finally if none of the above is possible then break the lease and damage your credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami