Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I must be a weirdo, but I love some of the stuff Arquitectónica puts out. I think the ones they've done for Miami totally fits the mojo! Like their project, Atlantis. Hell, that one even shows up in the credits of Miami Vice!

I notice that they maintain different styles for different cities, but the ones for Miami have been spot on.
Atlantis is actually one of the few that I like by them.

Last edited by straight shooter; 09-18-2011 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
It seems that they still living in the 80's. Maybe that's not true for other cities, but most projects they've done for Miami, with the exception of some (i.e arena), look like something from the 80's.
This is one of the main things that attracts me to the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area! It's like a timewarp back to my favorite year (1984)! It's the whole showy neon glass brick pastel colors musical tastes thing! You get off the plane at FLL and you go to the baggage claim, and there's a Teal Blue wall with multicolor neon lights and goofy music starts up when the conveyor belts start!!! You walk outside the concourse and an automated female voice greets you and says "You're beautiful! You look MARVELOUS! I mean the thing is so 1980's that you can't help but have a sh1teating grin on the way out to your car!!

People complain about the strip malls, but I love strip malls! Especially the one off of 79th street, where the President Supermarket is. Now if THAT thing doesn't look 80's I don't know what does!

The only thing that really sucked about the 80's was that paranoid jockish homophobic macho attitude, where you were constantly on your guard to make sure that no one perceived you as gay. Nowadays, at least here in San Diego, no one gives a sh1t, so you're not constantly having to defend your "identity".

However, in South Florida, along with that whole 80's vibe, unfortunately remains the prevalence of jockish homophobia, where -just like it was in the 80's- the homophobes themselves act like closeted gays with their flipped collars and obsessive primping. I may be a big fan of South Florida, but don't think for a minute that I've got blinders on to THAT crap!

But all that, and my rant aside, I still like the over the top Latin American flair of the outré New Wave buildings that Arquitectónica puts out, and which are part of Miami's mojo.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I must be a weirdo, but I love some of the stuff Arquitectónica puts out.
I do, too.

There are some exceptions, like One Miami, but for the most part their projects usually have large windows and make really pretty use of glass.

These buildings do look pretty ugly, but you never know.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Beautiful .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami