Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times

Advertisements

I will start off by posting that yes! it does get very hot and humid in Miami for a good portion of the year, and I for one do not care for the many months of extreme heat. However, many people on these boards exaggerate that we get 9 months of unbearable heat.

This week is a good example. Yes, it is still warm/hot, but it has not been unbearably hot this week; lows in the lower 70s, highs in the mid 80s. As I have written many times, usually towards the end of Sep./beginning of Oct. one can notice a sudden change in temps, especially in the mornings. Yes it will still get warm after noon, but this past Monday and Tuesday right around noon it wasn't that EXTREME HEAT and HUMIDITY that we were getting just a few weeks ago. If one is casually walking down the street during the late morning hours it can be warm, but not that unbearable heat.

From May- Oct it is hot in Miami. It is usually from the beginning of June-the end of Sep./beginning of Oct. where it is really uncomfortable. As early as May we sometimes get uncomfortable heat on a consistent basis. November is generally pleasant(even though I would prefer colder temps)where it is rare to find days past 85. Mornings and evening are quite comfortable where one can easily enjoy walk or a jog.

June, July, August, and September for me are the 4 worst months in Miami with High temps, high humidity, and at times lots of rain. May for me is the beginning of the uncomfortable season, but the nights and morning are not as bad. October is similar to May but in reverse. So if you include May and October, that is a maximum of 6 months of hot, hot, weather. I think it is more like 5 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:41 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
I get your point that it's not crazy hot 9 months of the year,but that's only because we had a day or two in early October where the highs only topped off around 85-86 and just made it seem like the next 6-7 months are going to be nice,crisp and cool,that however is rubbish as at least for me hot is any day with highs over 81-82,sure 85 is not too bad but I like it cooler than that.October,November,December,March and April are all likely to have a good amount of days in the mid to upper 80's,even January it'll get into the 80's,the next week it might only hit 60 but that's how winter is in Florida.In reality summer in Miami is mid April through October,Fall is November through mid December,Winter is mid December through February and Spring is March through mid April.In reality Miami gets at least a full 6 months of oppressive heat,2 months of nice cool Florida winter temperatures and the other 4 months are somewhere in between,for many people those 4 months with highs in the mid 80's might seem nice but when you get an 87-89 degree day in December,and they do happen,you get frustrated because you've been waiting all year for the cool temperature months to come and when they come it's still hot you just get frustrated,I know someone is going to tell me I should move to Northern Florida or Georgia and yes,I should,weather just being one of the reasons!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
I am sooooo looking forward to a hot swampy green Christmas!!! = D

Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
I still am wondering what the point of this post is? Who is exaggerating? The fact remains that Miami is the hottest place in the U.S. for the longest period of time during the year. While the rest of the country is freezing their buns off, we have temps in the low 80's. Also, the cooler weather of the last few days is about to change back to heat/humidity. It is a back and forth cycle.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I get your point that it's not crazy hot 9 months of the year,but that's only because we had a day or two in early October where the highs only topped off around 85-86 and just made it seem like the next 6-7 months are going to be nice,crisp and cool,that however is rubbish as at least for me hot is any day with highs over 81-82,sure 85 is not too bad but I like it cooler than that.October,November,December,March and April are all likely to have a good amount of days in the mid to upper 80's,even January it'll get into the 80's,the next week it might only hit 60 but that's how winter is in Florida.In reality summer in Miami is mid April through October,Fall is November through mid December,Winter is mid December through February and Spring is March through mid April.In reality Miami gets at least a full 6 months of oppressive heat,2 months of nice cool Florida winter temperatures and the other 4 months are somewhere in between,for many people those 4 months with highs in the mid 80's might seem nice but when you get an 87-89 degree day in December,and they do happen,you get frustrated because you've been waiting all year for the cool temperature months to come and when they come it's still hot you just get frustrated,I know someone is going to tell me I should move to Northern Florida or Georgia and yes,I should,weather just being one of the reasons!
I could agree with six months of summer like weather but not 6 months oppressive heat. There is a distinctive difference in the weather in mid April compared to mid August. For example, a typical mid April day in Miami may be comparable to a typical summer day in Los Angeles. I would say it is closer to 4 months of oppressive heat in Miami, maybe 5 at most.

Now, 87-89 degrees in December in Miami! That is exaggerating. I do remember a few years ago when it was 85 on December 24th and it was odd and felt hot. I think the record high ever in December in Miami is 86.

I do agree with you that anything above 82 is hot. For me, lower 80s is warm, 85 and over is hot. Upper 80s and into the 90s is oppressive and uncomfortable.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I still am wondering what the point of this post is? Who is exaggerating? The fact remains that Miami is the hottest place in the U.S. for the longest period of time during the year. While the rest of the country is freezing their buns off, we have temps in the low 80's. Also, the cooler weather of the last few days is about to change back to heat/humidity. It is a back and forth cycle.
The point of this post is that on the Florida and Miami forums many people complain and write that Miami is unbearable 9 months of the year, or that it is summer like temps year round. While I do agree that Miami is hotter than I would like and hot for too long, it is not 9 or 10 months out of the year.

I also do agree that it is disappointing to get nice temps in Dec and Jan, and then suddenly we get 2 or 3 days in a row of temps in the 80s. Last year I did not have a need for AC in my home from the beginning of December-end of Jan. Ok that is rare, but it did happen last year.

As much as I dislike the heat, I rather deal with our summer heat than deal with weeks at a time of below freezing temperatures.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
The point of this post is that on the Florida and Miami forums many people complain and write that Miami is unbearable 9 months of the year, or that it is summer like temps year round. While I do agree that Miami is hotter than I would like and hot for too long, it is not 9 or 10 months out of the year.

I also do agree that it is disappointing to get nice temps in Dec and Jan, and then suddenly we get 2 or 3 days in a row of temps in the 80s. Last year I did not have a need for AC in my home from the beginning of December-end of Jan. Ok that is rare, but it did happen last year.

As much as I dislike the heat, I rather deal with our summer heat than deal with weeks at a time of below freezing temperatures.
It IS very warm here at least 8-9 months out of the year. Every year is slightly different. This past year it was unusually cool in the winter months and stayed cool longer than usual. Other years I can remember heat waves in December on Christmas Eve and New Years. How long have you lived here?

The other thing that differentiates Miami from other parts of the country is that it is so much more humid at night than other areas. I always here people from Texas or Arizona or the Northeast complaining it is hotter there. That is true in the summer days many times, but not at night. THe heat at night here is unrelenting in the summers.

June, July, August, and September are very hot and humid months here. March, April, May, and October are usually warm months. December and February are swing months. It can be cold some days and warm other days.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
It IS very warm here at least 8-9 months out of the year. Every year is slightly different. This past year it was unusually cool in the winter months and stayed cool longer than usual. Other years I can remember heat waves in December on Christmas Eve and New Years. How long have you lived here?

The other thing that differentiates Miami from other parts of the country is that it is so much more humid at night than other areas. I always here people from Texas or Arizona or the Northeast complaining it is hotter there. That is true in the summer days many times, but not at night. THe heat at night here is unrelenting in the summers.

June, July, August, and September are very hot and humid months here. March, April, May, and October are usually warm months. December and February are swing months. It can be cold some days and warm other days.
I was not born here but was raised here; been here a long time. Yup, I pretty much agree with your post above especially June, July, August, and September being very hot and humid. March is generally a nice month though even though you can feel the transition from cooler temps to warmer temps.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM

I still don't understand what you are arguing about. Now you are agreeing with me.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 PM

LOL! no, I am not arguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami