Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
I prefer Miami 48 60.00%
I actually prefer Los Angeles 32 40.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 PM

14 posts, read 50,553 times

Advertisements

Major road rage in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I do agree that once you go west of 95, Miami is a huge flat wasteland of ghetto areas and low income housing.
There are areas other than Coral Gables west of 95 that are not ghetto or low income. What about East Kendall/Baptist hospital area, Kendall east of 137 Ave., South Miami, Sunset area, Miami Lakes, Miami Springs, Doral, Horse Country, Glenvar Heights, Redlands, and the Falls area.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'm not sure what you looking for but I hope you are not romantizing Miami. It happens to a lot of people. When you have great expectations, you will have great disappointments I can't still figure out what you find so interesting about Miami.

I'm the first one to tell you that Miami is not a branch of hell but Im worried about your word choice. Move here if you enjoy and can afford:

- fishing
- boating
- clubbing til 6 am
- hate cold weather with a passion
- year round vegetation
- going to the beach frequently

Don't move here if you want:
- Diversity
- walkable streets
- Nice weather(it's very hot for 9 months of the year)
- Interesting road trips
- A liberal environment(well it's liberal but not that liberal)
I've spent some time in South Florida, and I mostly like the people. I lived in South America for a year, and New York City for a few years.

I actually see a lot of diversity in the types of people that do live in South Florida. I love Brazil and Brazilians the most. Outside of that, I find the various Cuban culture, Haitian culture interesting. Plus you have Jewish and various Europeans. You go into places like Aventura Mall and see Hasidic Jews with every kind of Latina from all the different Latin America and Carribbean places. I also like the Carribbean countries as well.

I have been to the cities like Jacksonville, and that is more a lack of diversity. Miami is one of the highest foreign-born cities in the world.

However, South Florida is missing on the interesting LA ones like the multitudes of Asians from Korean to Japanese to Persian to everything else.

Walkability, neither LA or Miami are good for that.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I will give that LA has nice geographic features, I just cannot stand the place. The stagnant air is the first thing to hit, then the miles upon miles of concrete wastelands, looks like W. Miami on steroids. Not being overly critical, I would prefer LA say to Atlanta or any midwest city, but LA is just not my cup of tea, neither is San Fran, but I do like San Diego.

Could care less about diversity, never a factor to me, poeple can be cool or dopes no matter where they are from, I think diversity is just some phrase without much depth to it. Goodness, even some podunk town in TN will have a variety of Asians, Turks, some Europeans, perhaps some Ukrainian population, or something. It is not like cities or certain cities somehow have some great monopoly on the variety of backgrounds of its people.

Oh yea, LA is in Cali minus five points, and the ocean is too cold for my taste, minus one point.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I do agree that once you go west of 95, Miami is a huge flat wasteland of ghetto areas and low income housing. There is no reason to drive out that way and it is very dangerous in some areas.

LA has just as many if not more bad areas but has more interesting geographical features. Miami has no interesting geographical features other than the ocean and Biscyane Bay, which are very interesting. But no hills or mountains or valleys.

I do think areas like Coral Gables are beautiful, but outside of that there aren't many inland areas of Miami that are "nice" or worth visiting.
Well I would not call, Doral, Miami Lakes, many other areas which would be west of 95 if 95 went farther and many of the areas of Broward county wastelands.
If you are only talking about Miami city limits than yes your are correct.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM

45 posts, read 163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Our 'occasional' freezes serve as a reminder that we are NOT IN THE TROPICS!
Miami is most certainly not in the tropics. However, a location does not have to be in the tropics to be classified by meteorologists & climatologists under 1 of the 3 tropical climate types. Also, not all locations within the tropics are classified under a tropical climate. Nairobi has a subtropical highland climate. Sana'a has a desert climate.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Walkability, neither LA or Miami are good for that.
I pretty solidly disagree about walkability in Miami. Most of Dade is definitely not walkable, but ALL of Miami Beach is. If you want to live completely car-free, it is totally doable on Miami Beach. I did it for a year, and then did two years with just a motorcycle.

IMO, most everything worthwhile in greater Miami is on the islands or right on the metromover. Live on the beach, occasionally busing to the metromover - you got it all.

Out of the three years living in Miami, I would say half maybe 2/3 of the time I never left the island. That's probably why I my Miami experience was so good. I lived in the best part and stayed there.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 AM

83 posts, read 216,836 times
Miami is not in the tropical zone.

Miami does have a tropical climate.

Where is the difficulty and confusion coming from?

???

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post

There are areas other than Coral Gables west of 95 that are not ghetto or low income. What about East Kendall/Baptist hospital area, Kendall east of 137 Ave., South Miami, Sunset area, Miami Lakes, Miami Springs, Doral, Horse Country, Glenvar Heights, Redlands, and the Falls area.
All of the areas you mentioned are more to the South of Miami, not so much west. Doral, Miami Springs, and Miami Lakes are the only nice areas west and northwest of Miami. But why would anyone want to visit there?

I was referring to interesting places to see between the two cities. Beverly Hills for example would be interesting for a tourist to visit. Miami Lakes would not be.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Well I would not call, Doral, Miami Lakes, many other areas which would be west of 95 if 95 went farther and many of the areas of Broward county wastelands.
If you are only talking about Miami city limits than yes your are correct.
I was not talking about Broward. I said west of Miami. Doral, Miami Lakes, and Miami Springs are the only nice areas west of Miami. And they are nothing but suburban residential communities. If you are a tourist, why would you want to visit Doral or Miami Lakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami