U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Drugs & Miami
More now 4 18.18%
Same as always 3 13.64%
Less now 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:34 AM

15,950 posts, read 36,185,822 times

Advertisements

Drugs in Miami, there are less now than before? Or more? Or same as always - a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM

4,919 posts, read 8,552,833 times
I think it's less.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,194,731 times
No question there are less. The 80s and Miami now cant compare in crime and drug traffic. Does Miami still get a lot of drug traffic yes of course it is only natural for a city with a large international port and airport to have it. But it cant be compared to when Miami was the murder and drug capital of the US.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Less people are doing it also, or at least that's how it feels. Kids are not as interested or motivated to do drugs as before. Drug addiction is becoming more of an old generation thing.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM

3,913 posts, read 7,992,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Less people are doing it also, or at least that's how it feels. Kids are not as interested or motivated to do drugs as before. Drug addiction is becoming more of an old generation thing.
You are obviously out of touch. Drugs are just as rampant as back then if not moreso. The difference is that there is less drug related violence in Miami as there was in the 80's. It is hard to compare today with the drug wars of the early 80's involving the various cartels. The U.S. government cracked down on those cartels and regained control by the mid-80's so we saw violence gradually decrease.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,861,421 times
I agree with WF. Much less. The 80's was a time when youth intentionally abused drugs just to flaunt the law. It was a way to be counterculture - antiestablishment. We pretty much tried anything. You would choke on all the pot smoke at the Motley Crue concert. The boys (and girls) room at high school looked like a scene from Cheech and Chong - or New Jack City if you were unlucky.

There were so many zombies walking around downtown Miami on the first night I arrived it looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Then in the morning when the sun came up it looked like the Lord of the Rings battlefield (without the blood) there were so many bodies laying around. I saw a line for the homeless shelter (breadline/methadone clinic) that must have had 200 (500?) people waiting. Walking home from work at Joe's Stone Crabs was also much like a scene from Dawn of the Dead - except the zombies didn't bite - they just asked money/cigarettes etc. It wasn't really dangerous, just super-annoying (sometimes).

Miami wasn't unique. NYC was way worse. Frankly I thought Miami was supermellow just cuz the zombies didn't attack. Times Sq was a gangland Battle Royal. Just a sea of freaks. Times Sq in the 80's was not too far removed from what was depicted in the movie Escape from NY. Just as many people in TS then as now, but all freaks. Thousands and thousands of gangs, thugs, dealers, users, pimps, hookers, and assskoals of every description. Utter insanity. Dozens if not hundreds of open air cathouses. A veritable bazaar of the bizarre. When you got off the bus in the Port Authority, they wouldn't just try to sell you dope, they would shove it in your pocket and demand payment. I was flabbergasted. I wondered if they had the bawlz to do that, why not just roll me and take my money? Guess I musta looked just tough enough to not try (too often).

I think the younger generation is wiser than us. We fell under the spell that intoxication as a career was worthy of consideration. Then again, youth now has far more reasons to stay home and less to go out in the street and act like fools. We were also just living the post hippie generation so we were doing what they did only taking it to the next level. Unfortunately, that clearly was often fatal. The worst abusers of course paid the ultimate price, god rest their souls.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Now it's all about "internet addiction". In a way it's good cuz they are learning by the minute, but on the other hand it's still an addiction with bad side effects. We are becoming less sociable. Go to a HS class and you'll see that if it wasn't for teachers confiscating ITouch's and cellphones or laptpops, all the students would be quiet still in their own world texting to their friends from other countries.

Also, it seems that newer generations have nothing to rebel against. Past generations have done most of the rebelling, though there is always something to brag about. And doing drugs will not make you the "cool guy" anymore.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,895,100 times
Miami today is a shell of its former self from the 70's and 80's. Those were atrocious times for Miami, which was basically a bloodbath and narcotic haven. Miami's much better now, even though cocaine references can be spotted commonly its nothing compared to before.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 AM

2,227 posts, read 4,437,200 times
Flymia

Drug traffic and drug related crimes during the 70's and 80's did not affect the daily live of Miamians.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,770,799 times
Most of Miami's high murder rate didn't end in the 80's, it lasted well into the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or